Five Go To Rehab

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Deej
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Five Go To Rehab

Post by Deej »

I barely ever watch TV. I will mainly browse the internet, listen to music or read a book/newspaper.
Zar Quon

Post by Zar Quon »

Katharine wrote:Ha ha, yes, I know, we do have one, I just didn't think to set it going. Also, as it takes a while to put it on the right channel etc., it might have looked a bit rude to say to the visitor 'hang on a minute, while I record the programme you interrupted' :wink:
Nah - let 'em wait! :mrgreen:
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Since my laptop broke I have watched TV. I wouldn't recommend it.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I can't remember where I found this quote or who said/wrote it, but it's one of the best lines I've ever come across on the subject:

"Television: a medium, so called because it is neither rare, nor well done."

:mrgreen: (I almost never watch it either)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

Can we start a new game -- it's like this-- we quote dialogues from the book and we have to answer who the words were said by etc-- I'm starting if you don't mind-- ''That's Richard-- he's behaved badly''-- Who said these words and to whom? What was the occasion? :) :) :) :) Which Famous Five book are these lines from? :) :)
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I think this ought to be in the Games section - certainly not under the heading here.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Zar Quon

Post by Zar Quon »

John Pickup wrote:Since my laptop broke I have watched TV. I wouldn't recommend it.
Courtenay wrote:I can't remember where I found this quote or who said/wrote it, but it's one of the best lines I've ever come across on the subject:

"Television: a medium, so called because it is neither rare, nor well done."

:mrgreen: (I almost never watch it either)
I can only say that you are both clearly not trying hard enough, as there has been a great & wonderful variety of magnificent programmes provided by both the BBC & the various independent channels over the years.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Oh, I know, I know! I've seen many excellent TV programmes since moving to Britain a few years ago (probably a greater number of high quality ones than I would have found back in Australia, although our best TV productions are excellent as well). But especially nowadays with the increasing number of channels available, there's also a lot more garbage and time-wasting stuff. Well, the same could be said for the internet!! :lol:

My point was, though, that I don't habitually sit down in front of the telly and just watch whatever's on. I will usually only watch it when there's something specific I know I want to see. Even then, rather than having to make time when it's being broadcast, I'm more likely to use iPlayer or the other channels' equivalent online services and watch it at my convenience! You're right, though, Zar Quon, it's not fair to pan the whole of television itself. Most of it, maybe, but not the whole. :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Nair Snehalatha wrote:Can we start a new game -- it's like this-- we quote dialogues from the book and we have to answer who the words were said by etc--
I agree with Daisy that a game like that ought to be in the "Games" section. In any case, we've already got at least one game that's similar:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... &start=555" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

People can also ask questions based on quoted dialogue in the "Famous Five Books - A Quiz" thread:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... start=3405" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I haven't had time to watch Five Go to Rehab yet, but I'm looking forward to seeing it soon.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Zar Quon

Post by Zar Quon »

Courtenay wrote: You're right, though, Zar Quon, it's not fair to pan the whole of television itself. Most of it, maybe, but not the whole. :wink:
Oh, I don't deny there can be an awful lot of rubbish on. But careful use of the Radio Times* & a PVR can solve that quite easily :)

Besides - with the amount of output it can't *all* be brilliant, tho on the other mitt, it's most probably brilliant to someone.

*Other listings magazines are available
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I'm not saying that all TV is bad. I just wouldn't recommend it as an alternative to reading, playing lawn bowls or joining in on these forums, all of which I prefer to watching television.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

98% of TV programmes give the rest a bad name.
Society Member
Zar Quon

Post by Zar Quon »

Moonraker wrote:98% of TV programmes give the rest a bad name.
Nah, it's not that high a perentage.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Zar Quon wrote:... careful use of the Radio Times* & a PVR can solve that quite easily
A most sensible point and one that I heartily agree with!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It's all about V+ and Catch-up!
Society Member