1970s TV series watchathon - Five Get Into Trouble

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Re: 1970s TV series watchathon - Five Get Into Trouble

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Not to mention the noise of the tyres of the lovely Granada 2.3i V6, which sounded both sinister and dynamic in the sense of 'things are going to happen'. I also like that they usually had the camera film from a low position so that the children came across as rather grown-up.
Aggie's lovely, too. And as for Perton, he looks and acts as if he was playing a part in 'The Godfather'... scary. The scenes with Julian spying around, looking out from behind the nearly-closed door at the landing and later from behind the curtain in the living room, yes, when watching it all those years ago as a kid it gave me a thrill.
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Dick Kirrin wrote:I also like that they usually had the camera film from a low position so that the children came across as rather grown-up.
A good observation, Dick.

Did anyone else (though there are only three of us in the discussion so far!) watch the 1990s Five Get Into Trouble as well? I didn't find it as good as the 1970s one. It was only a one-parter so got moving more quickly, meaning we had less time to spend with the Five before they were in the thick of things. That's a shame because the feeling of "togetherness" of the Five and the excitement of their going off camping alone come across strongly in the book and in the 1970s TV adaptation, adding to the atmosphere. I liked Richard but felt that Julian, Dick and Anne (Marco, Paul and Laura) were rather "stagey". George (Jemima) was excellent as ever, but this story doesn't feature George in a prominent role. Everything looked wonderfully authentic - the 1950s costumes, the gleaming and elegant vintage car, the old tents, etc. - but despite being such a pretty production it lacked tension and simply wasn't as gripping in my opinion. The wooden gates of Owl's Dene weren't at all imposing and the baddies were comic caricatures, less sinister and less individual than the 1970s villains.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Well Anita, I did - and didn't like it either. It's more like parody than anything.
The villains are something from the cabaret, the way they act is truely silly. About the stiff and 'stagey' acting of Marco, Paul and Laura, you have a point there which unfortunately runs through most of the 1990s series. :shock: :(

I think it a real pity that they wasted time and effort to get the setting right and then abuse the stories so much. I do not blame the children, but whoever directed the episodes did a very poor job in my humble and maybe totally irrelevant opinion.

To sum it up, if this episode were food I'd say, the decoration cannot make up for the blandness of what's on the table.
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

That's a perfect summing up of that particular 1990s episode, Dick - and a few others. However, some of the 1990s episodes are much better than Get Into Trouble. Five On a Treasure Island is a favourite of mine, partly because it's a two-parter so there is more scope for characterisation and the pace is better. Also George (Jemima) plays a large part in the story and the plot stays very close to the book. It's a pity the 1970s producers weren't allowed to make Five On a Treasure Island, though the first episode in the 1970s series - Five On Kirrin Island - is another favourite of mine. Once again the criminals are brilliantly cast and I love Michele as a moody George at the beginning.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Having enjoyed doing a "compare and contrast" of the 1970s and 1990s adaptations of Five Get Into Trouble, I decided to do the same with Five Go Off in a Caravan. Again the 1970s version was better in my opinion, though the 1990s one wasn't bad either. For a start the beautifully decorated gypsy caravans used by the 1970s team were gorgeous, and it was great to see them in all their glory on the remastered DVD. Pongo the chimp, one of my favourite Blyton animal characters, was present as were Nobby's two dogs Barker and Growler, whereas the 1990s episode had no Pongo, no Growler and the circus seemed less lively altogether.

The acting of the four main children was convincing in both adaptations, I thought, despite poor Marco (1990s Julian) having his leg in a plaster cast, but the 1990s Nobby was dull while the 1970s Nobby was full of character. Villains Lou and Tiger Dan were pretty good in the 1990s version but absolutely superb in the 1970s one, coming across as more genuinely menacing although still comic in certain respects. In the 1970s episode I loved the banter between Julian, Dick, George and Anne - they really did seem like siblings/cousins.

My main criticism of the 1970s Five Go Off in a Caravan was that the entrance to the passage looked terribly artificial. And why is it that Uncle Quentin (Michael Hinz) so often pops up at the end of a story?

Society Member
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Well, Anita, since the days of "Fury" a conclusion with all the "family" together sharing a laugh seems to have become the usual ending for a children's TV programme. Maybe some sort of "all's well that ends well" kind of thing, so that everybody can see the dangers are over and the children are unharmed, both phsically and else..
That's how I explain it to myself.

Apart from that, the 1970s version is one of my favourite episodes, too. The acting was convincing, I really thought they were related, the caravans, well they are a bit of an anachronism, but it's only way you can have the children go off on their own, as anything else would have to be towed by a car. And neither of them was legally allowed to drive. Besides, they add a bit to the set-dressing.

We have two wonderful villains in this episode, each of them representing a different shade of evil. Dan, a lot of muscle but hardly any brains and Lou, the quiet, yet a lot more dangerous one.

Nobby washing the elephant is a great opening scene, we as the audience react just as the Kirrins do when Julian says: "You'll never believe this!"
Nobby is well-cast and looks and acts the part, especially in the scenes with Tiger Dan. You see he's be beaten unloved child and Tiger's a tyrant.

The entrance to the cave may be artificial, but what happens inside is another matter entirely. Things really get hot down there, with the children hiding and Lou threatening to kill Pongo. Timmy has a really chance to prove himself, Marcus acts the way Ju would have acted when he gives in to the threat, he shows how reluctantly he does it and how much he hates to be cornered in that way.

And well, Dick running for help and asking at the cottage for the phone. Grand, just grand... his family in serious trouble and he still all polite.

The 1990s series isn't able to keep up the standard here. Nobby's way too old, Julian in plaster hiding at the caravans, well, if the men had caught him, he'd easily outpace them, eh?
The two villains seem a lot more stupid than their 1970s counterparts, and some scenes are outright silly. The one with Julian keeping watch at the entrance and not even bothering to hide himself. He must have know he wouldn't have a fighting chance against the two men, not with his leg all plastered up. Just serves him right to be pounced upon and tied up for that! And how does he fight against the rope, oh dear! Why don't you use your teeth, boy? Silly to the extreme.
And the conclusion with the villains running headlong out of the tunnel scared by that parody of a dog, just to be clubbed down with the crutches, well, all right for small kids. I wouldn't have bought it, not even at the age of 12.
The circus looks a lot more boring, too and somehow none of the kids seem to have fun at what they are doing. They only look eager not to make any mistakes. I know there was the thing with the little flags that showed each child exactly where they had to be in each scene, and that somehow shows...
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

You're right that there's a feeling of things getting back to normal when Quentin puts in an appearance at the end of several of the 1970s adaptations, Dick (or as "normal" as they ever get when Quentin is around!)
Dick Kirrin wrote:And the conclusion with the villains running headlong out of the tunnel scared by that parody of a dog, just to be clubbed down with the crutches, well, all right for small kids. [Talking about the 1990s Five Go Off in a Caravan].
My 12-year-old son was watching with me and we looked at one another in disbelief at that part. What concerned us was that giving someone a hard whack with a heavy crutch might well kill them! The whole scene seemed so unlikely.

Nobby washing the elephant in the 1970s episode is one of my favourite parts too - a great opening to the story. And yes, I agree that the cast seem a lot more relaxed in the 1970s version and appear to be really enjoying themselves. That sense of enjoyment together with the strong casting of minor characters and crooks make the Southern TV series a delight to watch, even if the same locations and props do crop up in a number of episodes!

Society Member
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

What concerned us was that giving someone a hard whack with a heavy crutch might well kill them!
There's that to consider, too. I forgot to mention it... But now that you did, it brings me to something about the role of violence in the two series.
In the 1970s, there's a lot less of it, or maybe it's more subtle, so I hardly notice it. But when it comes, things look really dangerous, not silly. You have nobody holding a pistol like a wet fish, if there is a pistol, the people holding it look like they'd be going to use it.
In the 1990s version, it's either too much like in the above mentioned scene with the clubbing down of the villains - or it is outright silly like Julian challenging Rooky (or is it Mr P) by getting his fists up in trouble. It looks so artificial and stupid, whereas the blow Rooky deals Ju in the 1970s version (after washing the sooth out of Richard's hair) looks like it hurts. Just a casual glimpse that's all we see, but we see it is painful.

As a conclusion, I think that the role of violence is not correctly displayed in many 1990s episodes. Violence is nothing silly, it is very serious indeed. So to do either too much or make it look silly doesn't seem too educational to me.

That's not to say the 1970s series is gold and the 1990s one is useless, but all in all, the better acting and the way they drag you in, or should that be include (?) you as the person in front of the TV is what makes me forgive the sometimes very thrifty set-dressing.
daanton
Favourite book/series: FAMOUS FIVE
Favourite character: All the Five, but especially Anne.

Post by daanton »

Dick Kirrin wrote:
What concerned us was that giving someone a hard whack with a heavy crutch might well kill them!
There's that to consider, too. I forgot to mention it... But now that you did, it brings me to something about the role of violence in the two series.
In the 1970s, there's a lot less of it, or maybe it's more subtle, so I hardly notice it. But when it comes, things look really dangerous, not silly. You have nobody holding a pistol like a wet fish, if there is a pistol, the people holding it look like they'd be going to use it.
[...]
Yes indeed! Whether it's Markoff holding the gun either at Jo inside Red Towers' house, or at J+D+G+Jo on the beach, in "Five Fall Into Adventure".... or it's Hunchy here, upon his claim of their breaking into the place (Owls Dene), threatens to give J+D+A+G+Richard "the edge of [his] belt" (by actually pulling it out from the loops of his pants and striking it upon the table)!

Just by their meaning to "use it" adds to the tension of the episode scenes where applicable. Like here inside Owls Dene.

And as an impressionable young lad like me who felt he was right there along with the Five and Richard experiencing everything, it was incredible!

Of course, shortly thereafter, the tension is lightened by said scene:
Poppy wrote: JULIAN: "George?"
GEORGE: "Yes?"
JULIAN: "Do you think he's trying to scare us?"
GEORGE: "No, I think he's trying to make us laugh."
JULIAN: "He's not succeeding, is he?"
GEORGE: "Oh I don't know... Anne's laughing."

:lol: :lol:
Or at least Jennifer Thanisch is making a scared Anne try to laugh....!

Beaut!

And it felt real enough....!
Dick Kirrin wrote:In the 1990s version, it's either too much like in the above mentioned scene with the clubbing down of the villains - or it is outright silly like Julian challenging Rooky (or is it Mr P) by getting his fists up in trouble. It looks so artificial and stupid, whereas the blow Rooky deals Ju in the 1970s version (after washing the soot out of Richard's hair) looks like it hurts. Just a casual glimpse that's all we see, but we see it is painful.
And well portrayed.
JULIAN: "Big bully!"
So....
Dick Kirrin wrote:As a conclusion, I think that the role of violence is not correctly displayed in many 1990s episodes. Violence is nothing silly, it is very serious indeed. So to do either too much or make it look silly doesn't seem too educational to me.

That's not to say the 1970s series is gold and the 1990s one is useless, but all in all, the better acting and the way they drag you in, or should that be include (?) you as the person in front of the TV is what makes me forgive the sometimes very thrifty set-dressing.
Couldn't have said it better myself.
Famous Five TV Fan
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Having visited the F5 filming locations, I can't stop saying "Been there, seen that" every time I watch an episode! It's doing my head in! :roll: This is one of my fav episodes. Some good scenes throughout, especially the Five's capture & where Julian sneaks around the house, discovering the convicts hiding place! Outdoor scenes filmed in Exbury House/gardens, Exbury village & Lymington Quay( Where Richard is chased!)...Been there, seen that.... There I go again!!!! :roll:
daanton
Favourite book/series: FAMOUS FIVE
Favourite character: All the Five, but especially Anne.

Post by daanton »

And especially how the vast majority of these filming locations (places, buildings, etc) are still there (preserved, no resident/commercial/industrial redevelopment) years later, that one can feel like they're actually in those scenes.... (or at least at when the filming was done)!
Famous Five TV Fan
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Number 6 - your contribution on 'having been there, seen that' has just reminded me of a problem they faced in the series.

They had decided it should feature in what was then the present - the 1970s, not in the time the series was written, i.e. the 1940s/50s. So jeans, t-shirts and trainers replaced the shorts, shirts and t-bar sandals, the pony trap gave way to a Cortina estate and there was a gardner instead of a help/cook.
Seriously, these were not the only changes that were made and some in fact needed some careful planning. Here in this episode, there was not too much to be done to move from the 1940s to the 70s.
Maybe nowadays we would think twice about sending our kids off on a cycling/camping trip all by themselves, but in the 70s, I doubt that anyone would seriously have minded. Swapping a Bentley for a Granada isn't too much of a bother either and some myserious opening/closing device operated by a lever have to make room for a radio control system of the 70s - which in fact is a lot more feasible.
Apart from that, I really like the way they pointed out that Mr Perton operates a jailbreaking service - and that he in fact may not be too fond of Rooky, two aspects totally lost in the 1990s TV series.
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

As long as they follow the storyline & keep it as near as possible to the book, then changes to certain dress sense/ cars, etc, can be excused. It's just when they change things too much & is no longer recognisable to the original storyline that bugs me! :D