70s Famous Five Extras

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
marky2k12
Favourite book/series: The Secret Island
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers

70s Famous Five Extras

Post by marky2k12 »

Ok so I thought I would create a thread on the "extras" who have appeared in the 70's version of the Famous Five. I have watched the whole series recently and a couple of people caught my eye as people I may have seen in things recently. The first person I spotted (actually more by voice than visual) was in Five Go Off To Camp. One of Jock's Step Fathers henchmen; a guy called "Peters". He is credited as being played by actor John Bardon who is more recently known as "Jim Branning" in Eastenders. The second person I spotted was in the final episode; Five Go Down To The Sea. The young lad called "Yan". I knew I had seen him in something recently. It was a real feeling of déjà vu and it had something to do with his eyes and facial expressions. Well when I looked up the actors name which is Rupert Graves I realised that I had seen him last year playing "DI Lestrade" in Sherlock. Has anybody else come across any interesting "extras"? No sifting through the actors profiles on IMDB either. You have to spot them in the series yourself and then look them up. I suppose acting is a small world sometimes?

Regards,
Marcus
Moonraker

Re: 70's Famous Five Extras

Post by Moonraker »

Great idea for a thread. My other 'arf and I cannot watch anything without saying, "What has he/she been in?" I even have the IMDB app on my phone! Once the new DVDs come out, I will revisit the whole series. :D
Society Member
Paul Greaves
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series

Post by Paul Greaves »

I am a sucker for doing this too. When the DVDs finally make it out into the world (Christmas?*) I will definitely start actor-spotting :)

*gentle cynicism, sorry.
"Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

My Linktree
poddys
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by poddys »

It's amazing when you watch old tv shows or movies, just how many actors you find who are now well known.

Just last month I watched The Who's "Quadrophenia" for the first time in many years, and as well as Sting, there was one of the main characters from Whitechapel, and a few other well known's.
I went on some great adventures reading the Famous Five books.
Enid Blyton Creator of The Famous Five
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

You should try watching Murder She Wrote I swear just about every episode has someone I recognise from another show, or who has played another character in MSW before. There's one guy who's been in it four times as four different people!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

poddys wrote:Just last month I watched The Who's "Quadrophenia" for the first time in many years, and as well as Sting, there was one of the main characters from Whitechapel, and a few other well knowns.
I watched it for the very first time last month (I don't know why I hadn't seen it before, especially as most of it was filmed in Brighton) and was quite surprised to see so many well known actors in it.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
lwindrush
Favourite book/series: Famous five of course!
Favourite character: Dick, he is so me

Post by lwindrush »

Love watching Inspector Morse and spotting British character actors doing a star turn. Once in Jericho glimpsing Colin Dexter crossing the road gave me a delicious thrill.
chloe1

Post by chloe1 »

I looked a load up on IMDB a while ago so I cant play but did you know that "Marybelle" ended up having a baby with Neighbours star Craig Mcloghlin (cant spell it)
Katharine

Re: 70s Famous Five Extras

Post by Katharine »

Cound't find anywhere else to post this, and didn't want to start a new thread.

While watching the 70s version of the FF, it crossed my mind to wonder whether Michele Gallagher really did wear boys clothes while playing the part of George. Well I think I've finally got my answer. In a couple of episodes I've watched recently she is wearing a green and navy rugby shirt with a white colour. It's identical to the one my husband wore on our first date back in the early 1980s!!! :D
Society Member