The Island of Adventure Film

Advertise for wanted items. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
DrrnHarr
Favourite book/series: Valley of Adventure

Re: The Island of Adventure Film

Post by DrrnHarr »

PaulGreaves wrote:
They've gone to the trouble of a menu screen and broken it down into five chapters. However, the cover is a cheap paper print-off and it arrived in a broken DVD case and the DVD has the title written on it in felt pen. Classy.
Sounds pirated to me. As one who backed up a number of my old VHS tapes to DVD several years ago (so I could continue to watch my favorite movies after VHS went the way of the dodo) all that is needed is a DVD recorder and a little bit of Photoshop knowledge. There are several free programs online for creating the menu screens and breaking the title down into chapters so that's not hard. The real give-away is the title written in felt-tip pen. Seriously? I am surprised that Amazon is listing this. I was looking at purchasing this DVD because I have so many fond memories of the movie but after reading your post I'll wait until EbeFilms wake up and release an official one.
Paul Greaves
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series

Post by Paul Greaves »

Well, yes, it's clearly a pirate copy taken straight from the VHS. I've done that myself with all my VHS tapes that don't have DVD releases. As I said, if it's this or nothing, I'll take this. Ebe Films aren't going to be releasing this any time soon...
"Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

My Linktree
DrrnHarr
Favourite book/series: Valley of Adventure

Post by DrrnHarr »

PaulGreaves wrote:Ebe Films aren't going to be releasing this any time soon...
Which is really bewildering. It's not difficult to produce a DVD and lots of the studios are now doing "DVD To Order" DVDs for their more obscure titles. It would seem that Ebe Films is missing out on the opportunity to make some cash.
Paul Greaves

Post by Paul Greaves »

'ello 'ello, what have we 'ere then? Someone's flogging the UK VHS for forty-five quid! For a fifteen year old video tape! I'll stick with my off-the-back-of-a-lorry DVD thanks... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Island-Of ... 3aa92eeb3e" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

My Linktree
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

I recently enjoyed watching The Island of Adventure, some very good Actors and Actresses in the cast - Norman Bowler, Eleanor Summerfield, Catherine Schell, John Rhys-Davies and Frank Williams, I liked the child Actors, in The Island of Adventure, I also liked the locations, I found the information in post 4 on this Thread, fascinating, information which I had never read before.
Society Member
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

I received a copy of the following Book (which I recently won on eBay), today.

The above Book, is in excellent condition.

In the above Book, the setting of the story, has been brought up to date, and also the dialogue.

I have seen Frank Williams (who played the Map Shop Owner, in The Island of Adventure), a few times, at Dad's Army Days, at Bressingham, Norfolk.
Society Member
Paul Greaves

Post by Paul Greaves »

Yes, I have this too. The story replicates the film so that the villain dies of cyanide poisoning.

I like on the inside details it says:

Original text of The Island of Adventure, copyright Enid Blyton 1944
Colour Illustrated Edition text, copyright Macmillan Publishers Ltd 1982

The main story in this Colour Illustrated Edition remains unchanged from Enid Blyton's original book The Island of Adventure but the setting and dialogue have been brought up to date

Note that they don't say WHO wrote the new text. Still, it's a nice companion to the film with some lovely photographs.

My Linktree
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Not really a popular book amongst most fans though - very hard to sell! ;-)

I'm always amazed how willingly film studios miss out on releasing their films because they think they won't sell. I collect Hollywood musicals from the 1930's - 1960's and have had to acquire most of mine from the US as they aren't sold over here. I have even had to buy films starring Jessie Mathews from the US because even though she's a British star no DVD's of her films are being manufactured in Britain! :roll:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

PaulTaylor-Greaves wrote:Right. This has appeared on Amazon at a VERY expensive price. Has anyone seen it/got it? Is it legit? What's the quality like etc?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D ... 6JBZZOHIE1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:shock: That is really expensive! I'd look at getting it from here instead as its only £15:

http://ukrarities.com/product_info.php/ ... 1982-p-256" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Ross Gowland
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by Ross Gowland »

Rob Houghton wrote: I'm always amazed how willingly film studios miss out on releasing their films because they think they won't sell. I collect Hollywood musicals from the 1930's - 1960's and have had to acquire most of mine from the US as they aren't sold over here. I have even had to buy films starring Jessie Mathews from the US because even though she's a British star no DVD's of her films are being manufactured in Britain! :roll:
Twelve (so far) of Jessie's films are available in double bill DVDs from Network. I highly recommend them. http://networkonair.com/shop/search?doi ... e+Matthews" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Thanks for that link! They aren't a bad price either. I'll have to look into it and see which ones I need, as I have about six as single volume DVD's - but still need some others...:-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I would have been about nine at the time and remember not being particularly impressed. The book was so indelibly impressed upon my mind, and yet here we had a dark haired Jack (with glasses!) and Lucy-Ann, fair haired Philip and Dinah, curly haired Bill and white baddie no longer called Jo-Jo. But saying all that, having read these posts, I wouldn't actually mind seeing it again, just for old times' sake and to see if was bad as I thought! At the time, I had never heard of Steptoe and Son, so didn't find any significance of the man playing Uncle Jocelyn. It'd be interesting to see him playing a Blyton character!

After over thirty years, I still remember that Bill drove a Range Rover, and you see an Intercity 125 pull up into the station!
MaccasAU
Favourite book/series: The Secret Mountain
Favourite character: Dick

Post by MaccasAU »

If anyone wants to watch THE ISLAND OF ADVENTURE as in this one , I found it online.
Funnily it was on the US ARCHIVE's website at https://archive.org/details/IslandOfAdventure1982Divx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I think it is a VHS-RIP but still it's better then nothing. I apologize for not letting all of you know, until now, I was too shy :lol:.
Sorry but to make up for it you can watch TIOA! I watched and enjoyed it but, the cyanide and other liberty's they took was annoying having read the book many times. Still I enjoyed it.
That's all!
MaccasAU
Last edited by MaccasAU on 02 Oct 2017, 23:52, edited 1 time in total.
Writing for children is an art in itself, and a most interesting one
-Enid Blyton
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I have the annual based on the film version, and I must say they certainly do take quite a few liberties with the plot! Its a nice annual to have with some great photos from the film, but I dislike the fact that the text has been considerably altered! Thanks for the link! :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
MaccasAU
Favourite book/series: The Secret Mountain
Favourite character: Dick

Post by MaccasAU »