The Island of Adventure Film

Advertise for wanted items. (Please note: The Enid Blyton Society is not responsible for anything listed in these forums. You buy and sell at your own risk.)
Tony Summerfield

Re: The Island of Adventure Film

Post by Tony Summerfield »

This was actually a thread of on the film of The Island of Adventure, but suddenly it seems to have turned into an Anecdotage offshoot!!

I am sure that you are absolutely right, Stephen, that Enid was heavily influenced by Joseph Conrad's The Nigger Of The Narcissus and couldn't possibly have written The Island of Adventure without a copy of the book lying beside her typewriter! :roll: :roll:
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Enikyoga wrote:I think what Enid Blyton did was to skillfully transpose the "white" in the eyes of Joseph Conrad's man into Jo-Jo's teeth.
At least he could then see what he was eating....
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Moonraker wrote:
Enikyoga wrote:I think what Enid Blyton did was to skillfully transpose the "white" in the eyes of Joseph Conrad's man into Jo-Jo's teeth.
At least he could then see what he was eating....
Hopefully not the nigger of the narcissus' eyeballs. :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Paul Greaves
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series

Post by Paul Greaves »

Right. This has appeared on Amazon at a VERY expensive price. Has anyone seen it/got it? Is it legit? What's the quality like etc?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D ... 6JBZZOHIE1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

My Linktree
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

Hmm not sure what to think about that, it's incredibly pricey and the seller's feedback isn't that great either. I wonder if the picture of the dvd case is actually what it looks like or if it would be some sort of hand-printed thing.

If it was me I would contact the seller first and find out exactly what format it is, where it's from, and a hundred other questions, etc etc, before parting with any money.
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I was not aware of the DVDs before now, but I knew that that vidios are quite rare and expensive. I was lucky enough to come across the vidio of The Castle of Adventure a few years for about 50p. I was eager to see more and I looked them up on eBay with the same result. I wouldnt have thought the DVDs would have been so expensive, however.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I have a copy of this adaptation, copied from a VHS tape by myself. I agree, the Amazon cover does look a little amateurish.

I found the adaptation to be pretty dire, Wilfrid Brambwell was a terrible Uncle Jocelyn.
Society Member
Liam
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by Liam »

Enikyoga wrote:Since I have been reading Joseph Conrad's The Nigger Of The Narcissus for quite a while and then The [/i]Island Of Adventure (Mystery Island), I am increasingly starting to believe that the Jo-Jo character was in part inspired by Joseph Conrad's observation...

Stephen:

I can understand you feeling insulted by racial stereotypes in books. You seem to be so very aware of all the black stereotypes, yet you cannot see when you yourself are reinforcing them. For someone with a PhD degree, you don't seem to have the slightest understanding of causality, the most fundamental principle of science, of western civilization, and of education. You are quick to point out the association of magic with blacks, yet your wild associations are nothing but magical. The goal of Western education is to understand that the world works by causality, not by magic. Wildly associating one author with the next without a shred of evidence is nothing but magical thinking. You need to think about what you are doing, if all this is not just one big charade.

If you wish to do something useful in this field, maybe you should become familiar with a more credible kind of analysis - the Structural Anthroplogy of Claude Levi-Strauss, foe example - which is used to analyse myth and narratives in general.
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I just finished reading the book of this film, and it's a strange mixture between the film script and the original book text, making it unfortunately a queer reading experience. Things are not always logically ordered, and the description "The main story in this Colour Illustrated Edition remains unchanged from Enid Blyton's original book The Island od adventure, but the setting and dialogue have been brought up to date" is pure euphemism.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Spitfire
Favourite book/series: Most of the stand-alone stories
Favourite character: Snubby & Mr. Twiddle.

Post by Spitfire »

Wolfgang wrote: "The main story in this Colour Illustrated Edition remains unchanged from Enid Blyton's original book The Island od adventure, but the setting and dialogue have been brought up to date..."
I'm wondering how they've 'updated the setting'? That seems crazy, as the wild, lonely coast with the mines, under-sea passages and remote isle are crucial in the story.

I know this post is a few months old now, but I just read it for the first time and had an unexpected giggle to myself for five minutes!
Liam wrote:You are quick to point out the association of magic with blacks, yet your wild associations are nothing but magical. The goal of Western education is to understand that the world works by causality, not by magic. Wildly associating one author with the next without a shred of evidence is nothing but magical thinking. You need to think about what you are doing
I completely agree Liam, and it's well put.
Sarah
Society Member

Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O Lord, you know it altogether. Psalm 139
Paul Greaves

Post by Paul Greaves »

Well, I've recently discovered the DVD of this film, that I mentioned earlier in this thread, on eBay for £6. They're quoting it as a transfer of the US video to DVD so that all regions can play it. The quality may be dreadful, I don't know, but for £6 I'll take a chance and let you know... :)
"Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

My Linktree
Paul Greaves

Post by Paul Greaves »

Okay, so my copy of this DVD arrived and the verdict is... It's better than nothing!

Essentially, it's a transfer of the US VHS release to a DVD, however it looks like a generation down as the picture is okay but not spectacular. It reminds me a bit of watching an NTSC Star Trek The Next Generation in the days when you had to get a mate in the US to convert it and post it to you. A bit fuzzy round the edges but you'd survive.

They've gone to the trouble of a menu screen and broken it down into five chapters. However, the cover is a cheap paper print-off and it arrived in a broken DVD case and the DVD has the title written on it in felt pen. Classy.

The sound is actually pretty good, all told, and for £6 I'm not going to grumble as it's perfectly watchable and I'm not likely to get it anywhere else. There is NO WAY I'd pay the £30+ their asking for on Amazon though.

If you really want it and can find it for under a tenner, go for it. Anything higher and you will be disappointed. For me, it brought back memories of watching it as an 8 year old and I was pleased to discover that the theme tune I've been humming for years was spot on :)

My Linktree
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I sense there is a pirate on the high seas! :lol:
Paul Greaves

Post by Paul Greaves »

Well, if they'd give it a proper release I'd pay full price. The same goes for The Castle of Adventure... :)

My Linktree
Paul Greaves

Post by Paul Greaves »

Watched this for the first time in almost 30 years last night. Despite being heavily truncated and some fairly dramatic 'liberties' being taken, I actually thought this was rather fun. I know I enjoyed it more when I was eight years old, but I thought Rentaghost was funny when I was eight, so you can't take anything as gospel, really :)

My Linktree