70s Famous Five on DVD

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Petermax

Re: 70s Famous Five on DVD?

Post by Petermax »

GailRenard wrote:Yes as you've all seen now, our Famous Five DVD, should be out in October.
This is very good news indeed. I am now very glad indeed not to have purchased the German DVD box-set, there were times when I was sorely tempted, believe me! I just cannot wait to see that re-mastered footage. :D
Lossie Laxton wrote:I'm sorry Gary has left. Maybe if we threw Nigel out, he'd come back?
I too shall miss Gary's contributions to this Forum and hope that he may have a change of heart. However, I do believe that Nigel (Moonraker) had no intention whatsoever of offending anyone, so throwing him out is certainly not a very good idea. :shock:
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Lossie Laxton wrote:I'm sorry Gary has left. Maybe if we threw Nigel out, he'd come back?

Moonraker, our Nigel, is a well loved member of the Society and forums, and throwing him out is definately not an option!! :shock:

I'm really pleased to hear the news of the new DVD out in October. I'll keep my eyes open on Amazon to pre-order my set. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Moonraker, our Nigel, is a well loved member of the Society and forums, and throwing him out is definately not an option!! :shock:
I agree wholeheartedly! :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Nigel is definitely staying :D , though I hope we haven't seen the last of Gary either.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
70s-child
Favourite book/series: Adv. series, Barney series, St. Clare's, FFO
Favourite character: Snubby, Loony, Susie, Dinah, Jack Trent, Fatty

Post by 70s-child »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Nigel is definitely staying :D
I hope so! I can't imagine the forums without him! :D
Society Member
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

I think, with time to reflect, Gary will realise that a lot of Nigels teasing, is very much tongue-in cheek. :D
We will be a poorer forum without Gary but would be a whole lot poorer again without Nigel and his wonderful sense of humour. :D
Long may the laughter continue. :lol:
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Wayne Pyer wrote:I think, with time to reflect, Gary will realise that a lot of Nigels teasing, is very much tongue-in cheek. :D
We will be a poorer forum without Gary but would be a whole lot poorer again without Nigel and his wonderful sense of humour. :D
Long may the laughter continue. :lol:

Hear hear!
Well said Wayne! My sentiments entirely..... :D .

Heres to Nigel and Gary -who have both given and contributed so much positive support for many years to our wonderful and beloved Enid Blyton Society -I'm sure I speak for all when I say we all love and respect them both-and without whom our forums would be a much duller,sober,less enjoyable place! :D :D :D

" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

Anyone spotted any sign of the DVD on pre-order anywhere yet?
Society Member
GailRenard

Post by GailRenard »

We don't have a date yet, Nick, but I'll let everyone know when we have. Thanks!
ingots

Post by ingots »

Good to see something is on its way!

I would love to see a documentary made tracing the whole cult status of this series, which I ran home from primary school each Monday afternoon to watch.

There is so much material and I'd (as a New Zealander), would love to see the locations and actors as they were then and now. Plus of course we can't forget the iconic groovy incidental music and its collectors!!

I'd make/produce such a project!! :D If only i wasn't in Singapore! :?

I was involved in the German release last year but have been holding out for this - official UK version.

Thanks for the news Gail, and yes Gary - miss you!!

Marc
"Dick he said"
"He didn't mean YOU!"
--Five On A Hike Together--
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

The arrival of the UK box-set of the 70's Famous Five series cannot come soon enough. I intend to order two sets, one for myself and another for a friend's child who resides in Japan and has a birthday looming. :D

I also look forward to the DVD featurette mentioned earlier in this thread by Gail Renard featuring Marcus, Gary and Jennifer. However, I trust that Julie Davis will be included as well, her portrayal of Jo the Gypsy was quite unforgettable. :lol:
Paul Greaves
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series

Post by Paul Greaves »

Hello again, Christmas is coming and I was wondering if any more news was forthcoming about the UK DVD/Blu Ray release? Anyone heard anything lately...?
"Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

My Linktree
GailRenard

Post by GailRenard »

A little birdie (hi there!) told me that the DVDs of our Famous Five series are now available in France, dubbed into French:

http://goo.gl/g1Rcb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Merci beaucoup to all our French friends!
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

They are also available in Spain, Gail. It seems surprising that both your series and the 90s series are available in various countries in Europe on DVD, yet neither series is as yet available in the country that the films were made in! Why is the UK so slow off the mark with these things! :roll:
GailRenard

Post by GailRenard »

Thanks for this, Tony! It seems absurd but we're always the last to know anything. Could you please give me the Spanish link so I can have a look?

And believe me, the minute Marcus, Gary, Jennifer and I have any news, especially about a UK release, we'll tell you. Unless, of course, you tell us first!