70s Famous Five on DVD

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Jamie

Re: 70s Famous Five on DVD?

Post by Jamie »

Sardines and ginger beer all round!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Great news! :D Thanks, Karli.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Karli
Favourite book/series: FAMOUS FIVE 1978/79 TV series

Post by Karli »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Great news! :D Thanks, Karli.
Knowing the UK DVD release finally is on the way, will let me sleep much better now…
and my odyssey finally paid off.

@ Tony
No German subtitles and brilliant film quality are announced.

My focus is to involve Marcus, Gary, Jenny and Gail in the bonus film material.

Sounds for a celebration during next EB Day…

All best wishes from Austria,

Karl
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Excellent. Roll on April. :D :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

What a way to end the year! Great news and lots of thanks
to Karli and all those involved - we will never forget your efforts
- the EB fans in Britain are very grateful!!

'Happy' Francis
Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Karli wrote:On 2nd April 2012 the „Famous Five“ 1978/79 TV series finally will come on DVD in the UK too.
Releasing UK DVD label will be “G2 Entertainment Ltd.” and distributor the German-based company “Koch Media Ltd.”A real smashing DVD collector's edition is being planned. I'll follow up on it...Cheers,Karl
Wonderful! Petermax will retain his patience for just a few more months! :D :D
ingots

Post by ingots »

This came in from my contacts at Moviemax GmbH. Looks like the imminent UK release will feature the cleaned up footage. Fingers crossed for Bluray also.

It's the extras which are the most intriguing!! :)

"Licensor Moviemax announced that the UK rights have been granted to the original series from the 70s at the Munich Independent. Koch Media has been selling products in the UK since autumn 2010, now comes with "The Famous Five" a British TV series to the label G2 Entertainment. The 26 episodes of the first two seasons will be released in two DVD boxes, each with 13 episodes. In addition, a collector's edition appears with all the episodes. In Germany, the series is distributed by Moviemax. Koch Media will exclusively distribute 2. April 2012 the cult series THE FAMOUS FIVE in the UK.

"We are delighted to be working with Moviemax and are proud to exploit this cult topic in England," says Stefan Kapelari, Managing Director of Koch Media. Moviemax Director Hanna Quader commented: "As a Munich-based company it was a great pleasure for us to license this great series in 'Enid Blyton's home country. The UK market looks expectantly to the release of the cult series.."

:mrgreen:
"Dick he said"
"He didn't mean YOU!"
--Five On A Hike Together--
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Good news indeed. The icing on the cake would be the subsequent release of Gary's book, to accompany the DVD series.
Society Member
GailRenard

Post by GailRenard »

Yes, Tony, I am very happy about the news of the UK Famous Five DVD, as are Gary, Marcus and Jennifer. We hope you are all too! Many thanks again to Karli, who moves mountains on a daily basis. Here's wishing you all a Happy Xmas, a great New Year and may God bless us, everyone!
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Looks like I'd better start writing next year's Christmas present list then! :D
Society Member
GailRenard

Post by GailRenard »

Or better than an Easter egg!
Jamie

Post by Jamie »

Gary wrote a book about the FF?
Paul Greaves
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series

Post by Paul Greaves »

Not quite. For various reasons it seems to have entered Development Hell. Hopefully Gary will get the time to complete it at some point in the future :)
"Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

My Linktree
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

GailRenard wrote:Or better than an Easter egg!
Less calories and last longer that's for sure. :D
Society Member
petejt
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five

Post by petejt »

Hello everyone. This is my first post here I think. I am glad to join the community, as I have been an avid Famous Five reader for over twenty years.

And speaking of the 70s version being on DVD, this thread is quite fitting for me to start off in!

I've been wanting a full collection of the 1970s TV adaptation of the Famous Five[ ever since 1990, before DVDs were even invented. I live in Australia so have heard about the local release, but from what I read in earlier posts in this thread, I am sceptical to purchase it.

But the following post which I've quoted looks intriguing!
ingots wrote:This came in from my contacts at Moviemax GmbH. Looks like the imminent UK release will feature the cleaned up footage. Fingers crossed for Bluray also.

It's the extras which are the most intriguing!! :)

"Licensor Moviemax announced that the UK rights have been granted to the original series from the 70s at the Munich Independent. Koch Media has been selling products in the UK since autumn 2010, now comes with "The Famous Five" a British TV series to the label G2 Entertainment. The 26 episodes of the first two seasons will be released in two DVD boxes, each with 13 episodes. In addition, a collector's edition appears with all the episodes. In Germany, the series is distributed by Moviemax. Koch Media will exclusively distribute 2. April 2012 the cult series THE FAMOUS FIVE in the UK.

"We are delighted to be working with Moviemax and are proud to exploit this cult topic in England," says Stefan Kapelari, Managing Director of Koch Media. Moviemax Director Hanna Quader commented: "As a Munich-based company it was a great pleasure for us to license this great series in 'Enid Blyton's home country. The UK market looks expectantly to the release of the cult series.."

:mrgreen:
Should I wait for this UK release and then purchase it? Or is the 'Complete Collection' currently available in Australian music shops worth buying as well?

Thanks.