70s Famous Five on DVD

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
GailRenard

Re: 70s Famous Five on DVD?

Post by GailRenard »

Can any of you lovely people please tell me the name of the company putting out the 1970s Famous Five series in Australia? And is there any address/ e-mail address/ phone number for that company? I'd like to get in touch. Thanks!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Thanks, Zar Quon, I'll stick with my bootleg DVDs for the time being!
Society Member
Zar Quon

Post by Zar Quon »

Moonraker wrote:Thanks, Zar Quon, I'll stick with my bootleg DVDs for the time being!
I could be wrong, and it *is* your 15 quid, but I've a sneaky feeling I've seen the 90s series listed up with the 70s cast elsewhere. Also if it's the '90s series then it ain't a bad price (& the 2 Smugglers Top eps seem to appear on ebay quite often.)
famousfiver
Favourite book/series: All Famous Five books & '78 tv series
Favourite character: Anne

Post by famousfiver »

Hi Gail,
I just got the DVD yesterday and I must say I am very disappointed. All the advertising for the DVD say it has extensive bonus material but there is no mention of it on the actual cover or case or on the discs. I havent' watched the episodes through because I was saving it for Christmas but I put each of the 4 discs into my dvd and the episodes are listed but no mention of bonus material. The other thing that is disturbing is that the advertising and cover say that the approximate running time is 670 minutes. If each of the 26 episodes is approximately 23 minutes in length then there is at least 72minutes unaccounted for which is very deceiving.
I would be very interested to hear from others who have bought this DVD.
In answer to your question Gail, Coolabi, Reel DVD and 2011 Chorion Rights Limited are mentioned on the DVD but there are no contact details.
I would love to hear what you can find out.
Best Regards,
Julia
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

famousfiver wrote:In answer to your question Gail, Coolabi, Reel DVD and 2011 Chorion Rights Limited are mentioned on the DVD but there are no contact details. I would love to hear what you can find out.
Coolabi appear to have a website, if that's of any help:

http://coolabi.co.uk/about/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
GailRenard

Post by GailRenard »

I'm sorry, Julia, that you're disappointed. As writers and actors, we haven't had anything to do with the Australian DVD, which is why I'm intrigued. I hope you enjoy the DVDs anyway. And thanks to you and Anita for the info!
timjim77
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Noddy
Favourite character: Dick Kirrin

Post by timjim77 »

Hi, I too have wondered about what is going with the Australian release of The Famous Five Box set and the missing bonus material.

I have contacted Roadshow who in turn run Reel Distributors making them aware of the issue of what is being advertised and what is being delivered. Still waiting to hear back.

It appears that online retailers in Australia are all using the same description of the dvds, (running time and bonus material) I have made the distributor aware of this, I have also made them aware of the remarstered footage and of this forum, so that they could get an understanding of what people are wanting, or what fans were expecting to get in their box set.

I will update if and when I hear anything.

Tim
Last edited by timjim77 on 17 Dec 2011, 00:31, edited 1 time in total.
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure

Post by RDMorrell »

The same sort of false advertising is being used in New Zealand. The site I bought my box set from said this:
This complete collection of 26 episodes on 4 DVDs contains the entire series and extensive bonus material.
4 DVDs, yes. Entire series, yes. Extensive bonus material - absolutely NONE!
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
famousfiver
Favourite book/series: All Famous Five books & '78 tv series

Post by famousfiver »

timjim77 wrote:I have contacted Roadshow who in turn run Reel Distributors making them aware of the issue of what is being advertised and what is being delivered. Still waiting to hear back.

It appears that online retailers in Australia are all using the same description of the dvds, (running time and bonus material) I have made the distributor aware of this, I have also made them aware of the remarstered footage and of this forum, so that they could get an understanding of what people are wanting, or what fans were expecting to get in their box set.

I will update if and when I hear anything.
Thanks Tim for your follow up. It will be great to hear what comes of it!
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Once the festivities are over I am going to treat myself to the German Famous Five DVD box-set. Somehow I cannot see a UK release taking place anytime soon, and even if it did it would probably be a very basic version, 26 episodes and no extras. I shall just have to get used to those permanent subtitles though! :|
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

I shall just have to get used to those permanent subtitles though! :|
Might come in handy the next time you have some totally lost German tourists on the train. :wink:

Cheers

Dick Kirrin

PS: I hope for you and all the British fans - and for myself, as I don't like the permanent subtitles, either - that there will be an English release soon. Considering how long it took to get the series on DVD at all, maybe one year is not really that much time... . :?
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Karli
Favourite book/series: FAMOUS FIVE 1978/79 TV series

Post by Karli »

Tony Summerfield wrote:We are still waiting for a UK release though, Karli!
Here we go Tony!

On 2nd April 2012 the „Famous Five“ 1978/79 TV series finally will come on DVD in the UK too.
Releasing UK DVD label will be “G2 Entertainment Ltd.” and distributor the German-based company “Koch Media Ltd.”

A real smashing DVD collector's edition is being planned.

I'll follow up on it...

Cheers,
Karl
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Good stuff, Karli, Gail will be pleased about that! I am glad you didn't say April 1st!! :lol:

I hope that we don't have to have the German subtitles!!
Nick
Favourite book/series: Five on a Hike Together/Secret Seven
Favourite character: Dick & Susie

Post by Nick »

Every time I saw an update on this thread I was hoping that there would be a UK release date.

Now there is, well what more can be said :D :D :D :D
Society Member
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

Hoorah!!!!!!! :D
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.