70s Famous Five on DVD

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
peppermint peppy

Re: 70s Famous Five on DVD?

Post by peppermint peppy »

Perhaps anytime when you're grandma. :wink:
There's a big fidgeting about the rights and I think companies won't take the risk of a FF70s DVD-release flop.
The fans of FF78/79 series is a minority in the view of big companies. But anyway.
My hope exists.
Dick Kirrin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Julian, Dick

Post by Dick Kirrin »

My hope exists.
So does mine.

Is the number of people liking the 1970s series of the Famous Five so much smaller than the one of people liking the 1970s version of "The Professionals"? I'm a bit doubtful...
The main reason why the companies do not want to tackle a DVD release might rather be that they are afraid of a very costly lawsuit in case they overlooked one person/company with ownership of the broadcasting rights. Sad, but somehow understandable.
As rights expire, to my knowledge at least, there is still reason to be hopeful.

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
peppermint peppy

As I told you....a big fidgeting!!!
I think it comes to a lawsuit about the rights as much more this DVD release will reach a wow.
Previously nobody cares two hoots about it.
MysteryOfTheGreatAuk
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Jack (Adventure)

Post by MysteryOfTheGreatAuk »

I wish Gary Russell could say something to this?! I think he´s the right man to ask about copyrights and possible DVD releases.
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

MysteryOfTheGreatAuk wrote:I wish Gary Russell could say something to this?! I think he´s the right man to ask about copyrights and possible DVD releases.
You will find that the former actors from this series are probably as frustrated as everyone else at the lack of an official DVD release. The fact is that the original company that owned the video rights has been taken over several times and certain copyright ownership documents have gone astray. Without proof of video rights ownership, any official DVD release cannot legally proceed.
peppermint peppy

Well....then Gary's pension increase is still written in the stars. :wink:
Timmy254
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy the dog

Post by Timmy254 »

I can't believe it, but it's true!
Karli Kolar from the German fansite has confirmed that the series will be released on DVD and Blue-ray in about three or four months!!! :D They are also in touch with Marcus Harris (and Gary?).
Both, the English and the German version will be on the DVD as well as lots of bonus material.
The German fansite isn't online at the moment due to server problems but it should be back online next week. So there will be more news and details soon!
"A true friend is someone who thinks that you're a good egg even though he knows that you're slightly cracked."
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Timmy, you're a bit early for April Fool's Day! :D So am I right in assuming that you are serious?
That's a bit of good news indeed. Though I find it hard to believe, too.
Many thanks for sharing. I noticed that the German fansite was down at present and I was wondering why. Good to know that they will be back soon.

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
"You just never knew what would happen. It made life exciting, of course - but it did spoil a cycling tour!"
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

This is fabulous news...if its really true. I will wait to find out more details. It's certainly a bolt from the blue... but a very welcome one. :D
Last edited by Lucky Star on 21 Mar 2010, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Timmy254
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick, Timmy the dog

Post by Timmy254 »

I am serious, Dick! :)
Maybe I should have posted the link to the forums (sorry, it's only in German. Maybe I can translate it later):
http://www.forumromanum.de/member/forum ... onsearch=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"A true friend is someone who thinks that you're a good egg even though he knows that you're slightly cracked."
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

What amazing news indeed. Here is a rough translation courtesy of Google.

Five 1978/79 TV series now comes to DVD and Blu-ray, 08 Mar 2010 21:46

Dear 1978/79 Five fans

is finally over ...

The old cult TV series from 1978/79 comes to DVD and Blu-ray.

It still has "taken something", but this afternoon it finally came to the redemptive call from our long-term partner "Moviemax movies & more GmbH.

Since the summer of 2009, there were no updates regarding our rights anymore, but in the background, the joint research and negotiations, of course, ran tirelessly continue at full speed.

In common "hard work" we, the assembled team and Five Fanpage "Moviemax movies & more GmbH," the rights bits.
The Moviemax GmbH movies & more "now has the rights for the global evaluation on DVD, VOD, etc. purchased at our coveted and long-awaited series.

Similarly, in teamwork and we will "Moviemax" Now obviously put everything out that the DVD / Blu-ray edition will satisfy all fans. -That is a PROMISE!

Details and all news will be available soon on our Five Fanpage! (Currently on holiday, unfortunately, webmasters, and also problems with opening the fansite-Fits ... of course precisely to these great messages ...).

I will see you and consider them here in our forum to date until we are ready again to the fan page ...

THANK YOU for your Herzensgeduld and the countless motivational e-mails throughout the years!

Warm regards to all fans of the Famous Five TV series from 1978-79,

Whenever an adventure worth ...

Karli Kolar

= Five Fanpage Team - Famous Five Fan Site Team =
http://lgfb.lg.funpic.de/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and our partner

Moviemax movies & more GmbH
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

Thanks again, Timmy. :D

OK, Petermax beat me to it, all the same here's my summary of the facts:
I cannot do a full translation tonight, but here are the basic facts as far as I can translate them:

The ownership and publishing rights have, after years of searching and putting bit and pieces together, been found. A permission to release a DVD/Blue Ray has been granted.
The old tapes are being prepared for burning them on DVD/Blue Ray, and Karli Kobar will personally be around when they are going to do it, and they will be uncut. This matters to my German-speaking fellow fans, as the German version were "edited" :evil:
At present, they are in phone contact with Marcus Harris about bonus stuff for the fans. Suggestions appreciated.
In about three or four months they think they can release it.

So that was the short form. :) Hope it's helpful!

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
Clopper
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Clopper »

I am a bit confused. Amazon are selling the 70's on VHS tapes right now. I may get some and burn them to disc.

I would have thought that if they can sell the video then they should be selling the DVD as well.

I have great memories of the series cos my neice was just into the Five and shared the enthusiasm. She used to get the FF Annuals published at the time and I got to read them.
Its never too late to have a happy childhood.
Dick Kirrin

Post by Dick Kirrin »

As far as I know, the videos sold on Amazon are either those of the 96s series or they are older editions made in the 80s and early 90s. And there has been no legal version on DVD. The one offered time and again is a bootleg copy and from what I heard not exactly a good one.

I have some of the videos, too. I like them a lot, but they are not always "very good" or "Like new" in terms of quality. If you can get hold of a few good clean copies for reasonable money, by all means go ahead.

The DVD set will presumably be not too cheap, judging from the little we know about it yet. They are going to re-master the tapes, so there should be an increase in quality as well as some extras.
Besides, if you ever need to teach your niece some German (for school) the DVDs might help as they have the English as well as the German dubbing. The translations are not 100% acurate, however. :)
Bottom line: I'll buy them unless the price is too steep.

Cheers

Dick Kirrin
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Excellent news! :o :D How wonderful to be able to buy a good-quality DVD release of this classic series!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member