70s Famous Five on DVD

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
ingots

Re: 70s Famous Five on DVD?

Post by ingots »

Hi and merry Xmas!

To answer your question directly. The NZ/Aus release is not worth buying. It's basically VHS converted to DVD. See the previous threads here on this.

The UK version is being made in conjunction with Moviemax who did a complete cleanup/upgrade of the series in 2010. I was involved in the latter stages of it and have the series in Bluray.

The April release in the UK is not confirmed for Bluray but will be a lot better in quality. Plus there are rumours about extra features, which the Aus version does not have.

Wait it out.

Marc
"Dick he said"
"He didn't mean YOU!"
--Five On A Hike Together--
petejt
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five

Post by petejt »

ingots wrote:Hi and merry Xmas!

To answer your question directly. The NZ/Aus release is not worth buying. It's basically VHS converted to DVD. See the previous threads here on this.

The UK version is being made in conjunction with Moviemax who did a complete cleanup/upgrade of the series in 2010. I was involved in the latter stages of it and have the series in Bluray.

The April release in the UK is not confirmed for Bluray but will be a lot better in quality. Plus there are rumours about extra features, which the Aus version does not have.

Wait it out.

Marc
Hi Marc,

Merry Xmas to you too! Thanks!

And thanks too for your response & advice. I mentioned the DVD being available locally to my mother and she became very excited, as she is a big Enid Blyton-Famous Five fan as well (in fact she got me into it in the first place). I asked around in the shops about this particular DVD and all they could tell me was what was written in the description. Since the release was quite cheap (just $26), I decided to buy it for my mum.

You see, for years while growing up my mother would hire out Famous Five VHS cassette videos from the local video shop, for us to watch during the school holidays. Then after a while the shop changed hands and they threw out all the old video cassettes... Ever since we haven't had a chance to watch them, and constantly been on the lookout for any on sale. We managed to find Five are Together Again, Five have a Wonderful Time and Five Run Away Together, but those cassettes have now perished from mould due to the excessive humidity.

This might sound a bit batty but my mother will tape movies that are broadcast on TV (such as The Lord of the Rings) even when she already owns the full extended edition DVD Box Set! So due to the cheap price, I don't think she would mind having a copy of The Famous Five even if it doesn't have all the extra features, but are just the VHS converted to DVD.

I wil though await the UK release that is upcoming, as I want the full thing. Thanks again.
Paul Greaves
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series

Post by Paul Greaves »

Karli wrote:On 2nd April 2012 the „Famous Five“ 1978/79 TV series finally will come on DVD in the UK too.
Releasing UK DVD label will be “G2 Entertainment Ltd.” and distributor the German-based company “Koch Media Ltd.” A real smashing DVD collector's edition is being planned. I'll follow up on it...

Cheers,
Karl
Hi Karli, any more news on this yet? With an April 2 release date I would have expected to see it on Amazon etc by now. Also, do you know anything about what extras will be on it? :)

Thanks
P
"Outside of a dog, a book is Man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

My Linktree
GailRenard

Post by GailRenard »

Hi Paul! The UK DVD will certainly be out soon and we'll let you have the dates as soon as we know. We're looking forward to it as much as you!
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Thank you Gail - we have a lot to thank you for, not least for your work on the
series at the time. Hope you come along to the EB Day and see your many fans.
The thought of seeing the results of your work after all this time is very exciting.
Francis
Society Member
GailRenard

Post by GailRenard »

Thank you so much, Francis, that's really kind. But to be honest, our series be nothing without great people like you who enjoy our work, so it's a two way street!

When is the next EB Day? I went to the last one and had a super time. Thanks again!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The next Enid Blyton Day is on Saturday 12th May, Gail, once again at Loddon Hall, Twyford, Berks. It would be lovely to see you there again, and anyone else associated with the Famous Five series. :D
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
GailRenard

Post by GailRenard »

Thanks, Anita. I'll see where I am when!
ciclón
Favourite book/series: Barney Mystery series
Favourite character: Miss Pepper, Snubby, Loony, supporting characters

Post by ciclón »

Hello!

Gail or Karl...., do you know something about a possible DVD/Blue ray, Famous Five series released in Spain?
UK/German editions have subtitled into spanish?

Thank you
:wink:
Society Member
GailRenard

Post by GailRenard »

Hi! I thought I saw a Spanish and Italian version of the DVDs but now don't know where. Anyone else spot them?
ciclón

Post by ciclón »

GailRenard wrote:Hi! I thought I saw a Spanish and Italian version of the DVDs but now don't know where. Anyone else spot them?
Gail, I think that Spanish version not released....Maybe you saw the 90's series...?
Society Member
GailRenard

Post by GailRenard »

I'm not sure. I know there's a French version:

http://www.gailrenard.com/famous-five-update.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I thought the Spanish & Italian ones were out too. Let's see what turns up!
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

The spanish version was not released on DVD I suppose. The spanish version was topic in this German thread http://108500.forumromanum.com/member/f ... onsearch=1 - If you will ask there, maybe Walter (Potganski) (moviemax -- the German company which restored the serial) will answer. Friendly greetings, Soenke
ciclón

Post by ciclón »

Thank you Soenke,...... german topic is in deutsch language..
I'll try to mail Walter.
Regards
Society Member
Sairbear74

Re: 70s Famous Five on DVD? 2012?

Post by Sairbear74 »

Hi can anyone help me out there, i got very excited to read that the 1978 series of Famous Five was being released on DVD in April of this year. Absolutley thrilled as have a few on video but no longer have video player.
I have noticed that there is a German version, but have read that there will be an English version soon.
Can anyone shed any light on this after looking for about year and half for a Fabulous 40th Birthday prezie for my Brother.
Many Thanks
Sarah