Enid Blyton at Green Hedges, 1946 Pathe Newsreel

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Re: Enid Blyton at Green Hedges, 1946 Pathe Newsreel

Post by RDMorrell »

Enid was a two-fingered typist, by the looks of it! :shock: Makes her prodigious output all the more remarkable, unless perhaps she learned to touch-type later.

Anyway, that was a wonderful clip indeed, and I echo the thanks of others, Petermax. Really appreciate your sharing it.
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
SecretJenny

Post by SecretJenny »

RDMorrell wrote:Enid was a two-fingered typist, by the looks of it!
The quickest two-fingered typist I've ever seen though!
Liz

Post by Liz »

Being new to the society (today) I don't know if you have seen / heard the recordings on the BBC Archive but it is well worth a visit - http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/blyton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The Women's Hour interviews are great to hear as are the interviews with her daughters and others. There is also footage of the demolition of Green Hedges which was rather distressing to watch :( but was at the time the only image of Green Hedges I had seen. I have since watched YouTube which images are definitely more pleasing. :D
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

Well done, Petermax. Must date from just before the :twisted: BAN BLYTON :twisted: era.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’ :(
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Liz wrote:Being new to the society (today) I don't know if you have seen / heard the recordings on the BBC Archive...
Good to welcome you to the forums, Liz! Yes, I think most of us do know about this excellent BBC site - there is a link to it on our Home page (Lashings of Links) and there has been some discussion elsewhere on the forums.
Society Member
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

Welcome Liz. I know you'll enjoy it here :D

Wayne from South Wales.
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

It is a pity that Enid Blyton was shunned for a long time by the BBC . Nonetheless, maybe because of guilt or other circumstances, it is the BBC that facilitated her final "farewell" audio interview during that "Women's Hour" program in which she highlighted some of the dynamism behind her literary success. That was in 1963 which also coincided with the ending of most of her successful book series such as The Famous Five, The Secret Seven and Noddy. After that interview, the world literally was not to see or hear about Enid Blyton, at least in public terms, until her death five years later, in 1968. In my foreword to my book, The Famous Five: A Personal Anecdotage, I note two modern tranitions in modern Blytonian history. One was obviously in 1963 that was punctuated by that historic BBC interview which coincided with the ending literally of most of her main publications as I have already stated. Another transition was in 1997, during her centennial birthday that also coincided with the emergence of J.K. Rowling as her potential "heir-apparent" to her legacy. Of course, between the period between enid's death in 1968 and 1997, i.e. almost 30 years heir-apparent pretenders to her literary legacy such as Judy Blume had tried to emerge with little or no success. 1997, which also marked her centennial birth anniversary coincided with the emrgence of J.K. Rowling. Of course, there are other transitional events in 1963 and 1997 in relation to Enid Blyton, but the ones I have stated were the most important ones.

Stephen Isabirye
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Enikyoga wrote:Of course, between the period between enid's death in 1968 and 1997, i.e. almost 30 years heir-apparent pretenders to her literary legacy such as Judy Blume had tried to emerge with little or no success.
Judy Blume was an American author who wrote mainly about self-absorbed characters, obsessed with their personal "issues." I must admit I found the children and teenagers in her books dull and even neurotic at times - not at all like Enid Blyton's fun-loving, healthy, interested, outward-looking characters. I can't see that Blume was in any way an inheritor of Blyton's literary legacy.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
Enikyoga wrote:Of course, between the period between enid's death in 1968 and 1997, i.e. almost 30 years heir-apparent pretenders to her literary legacy such as Judy Blume had tried to emerge with little or no success.
Judy Blume was an American author who wrote mainly about self-absorbed characters, obsessed with their personal "issues." I must admit I found the children and teenagers in her books dull and even neurotic at times - not at all like Enid Blyton's fun-loving, healthy, interested, outward-looking characters. I can't see that Blume was in any way an inheritor of Blyton's literary legacy.
I didn't realise that literary talent was inherited. Does this mean that Enid Blyton inherited her talent from someone? I know she has been linked with gypsies and an American rock n roll singer, but surely it is possible to write books off one's own back? I would imagine that Enid could have got her ideas/inspirations from her travels (obvious links with Dorset and Cornwall, for example). Working the other way, Enid has been reported as having influenced William Golding. I tend to think most of this is at least, somewhat fanciful. Indeed, the most similarities in Enid's writing seem to me to be linked to Agatha Christie's books. I have always looked on Dame Agatha as a grown-up Enid Blyton!
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I tried the previous links but they don't seem to work anymore..
I think this link is ok;

http://www.britishpathe.com/video/perso ... y/wildcard" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

1963 Woman's Hour
http://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/blyton/8400.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Thanks for the new links, Pete - much appreciated.
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thanks for these very interesting links, Pete. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Thank you, Pete. Very enjoyable!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Some very interesting links there, Pete. Thanks for providing them.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I think the same link is also in Lashings of Links, on this site. It's lovely to hear Enid's voice. I think there's a link to Mings radio interview too when she came over here for the E.B. Day. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member