Famous Five 50s Film

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Petermax

Re: Famous Five 50s Film

Post by Petermax »

Eljay wrote:Those CFF 'Saturday Morning Pictures' DVDs (of which there are three volumes) were released by Network DVD (http://www.networkdvd.net" target="_blank). Perhaps we should contact them to see if we can get them interested in releasing the two Blyton films?
Network DVD certainly have a very impressive back catalogue of long forgotten TV series. Their releases include Black Beauty, Follyfoot, Belle and Sebastian, Robinson Crusoe, the list is endless. What prime candidates Network DVD would be to release the Southern TV Famous Five series on DVD. However, the copyright/ownership issues are well known, I therefore, will not mention this any further!

In the meantime, the C.F.F versions of the Famous Five would do rather nicely, as most of us will not have seen these.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Petermax wrote:Network DVD certainly have a very impressive back catalogue of long forgotten TV series. Their releases include Black Beauty, Follyfoot, Belle and Sebastian, Robinson Crusoe, the list is endless.
I only found out a few days ago that Robinson Crusoe (starring Robert Hoffman) had been released on DVD and I've already got it on order. :D Wow, what a stirring programme that was - I remember watching it in the mornings during school holidays and being terrified when Crusoe found the footprint in the sand!

Only just discovered that the first four series of Grange Hill are also available on DVD. So is the first series of The Red Hand Gang, an American show about a group of child detectives. They're not Network DVD releases though.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I just wish that the BBC adaption of 'The Enchanted castle' from the late 1970's would be released on DVD. :evil:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

Long time since I've been active on here - but thought I'd post news of an update. The Enchanted Castle has now been released, in Australia, by the ABC. It plays on multi-regional players, or computers...but is region 4. I just sent for a copy, as I have been waiting for this for 34 years!! :-)

https://shop.abc.net.au/products/enchanted-castle-dvd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Oh, wow! :D At long last! I loved that serial as a child. Thanks so much for letting us know, Robert. I'll have to think about ordering a copy, though I've got a problem in that the CD/DVD slot on our computer no longer works and our DVD-player is Region 2 only!

Nice to see you on the forums, by the way!

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Robert, please could you let us know what you think of the quality of the DVD when you get it? I read the book a year or so ago, thinking it was 'new' discovery, however certain bits of it seemed vaguely familiar, and I began to get the occasional glimpse of bits of it on a screen.

I'd have been 12 when the TV series ran, so I'm guessing I must have seen it was back in 1979, but had forgotten I'd seen it. It would be great to see if the snapshots in my brain match those from the series.

I wonder why programmes like this aren't released over here? I've been waiting for Ballet Shoes to be released, plus the more recent The Worst Witch series. I'm not sure about Ballet Shoes, but the Worse Witch was only available on a US release last time I looked.

I'd also love to see A Little Princess and Tom's Midnight Garden, both from the 1970s.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Katharine wrote:I'd also love to see A Little Princess and Tom's Midnight Garden, both from the 1970s.
Tom's Midnight Garden is available on DVD, Katharine, as I have got a copy.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

For anyone on facebook, here's a link to the 'Enchanted Castle' facebook group. There are a few clips from the series, but don't think it's the DVD version...just YouTube clips.

There are also some testimonials from people who have already bought the DVD.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3688799 ... tif_t=like" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Tony, do you know where you got it from, as I've just had a look on Amazon and could only find the more modern versions. I have looked in the past for the 1970s version, but have always drawn a blank. Maybe I've just been looking in the wrong place?
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

As it is a BBC DVD, perhaps they are intending to release it in the UK as well. :roll:
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Katharine wrote:I've been waiting for Ballet Shoes to be released...
If you mean the 1970s Ballet Shoes, it was released on video but I don't think it has ever made it to DVD.

I'd love to see the 1970s The Phoenix and the Carpet again (featuring Gary Russell a couple of years before he played Dick) and Kizzy, based on Rumer Godden's book The Diddakoi.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I do know there are no plans for the BBC to release 'The Enchanted Castle' - not enough interest apparently. :roll:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Katharine wrote:Tony, do you know where you got it from, as I've just had a look on Amazon and could only find the more modern versions. I have looked in the past for the 1970s version, but have always drawn a blank. Maybe I've just been looking in the wrong place?
I bought it on Amazon, Katharine, but it was a bit cheaper than the current price!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BBC-Classics-He ... 510&sr=1-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks Tony, unfortunately the write up says it the 1980s version, not the one from 1974 which is the one I remember would have watched as a child. I expect it's probably wiped. :cry:

Anita, I did get a tape of Ballet Shoes from E-Bay a few years back, but I had the feeling it had been edited a little. It certainly had all the titles apart from the first and last missing. However, it was better than nothing, and certainly brought back some happy memories.

Yes, I'd like to see The Pheonix and the Carpet again. I actually thought about putting Kizzy when I made my earlier post, but wasn't sure if anyone else would remember it. I'm not sure whether I really enjoyed it originally or not, the only bit I remember was the girl in a posh bedroom wailing she was ill until she heard that someone had burned her original clothes because they were so disgusting and immediately 'recovering' and screaming "You've What!"

So I'm not sure I'd want to splash out on the DVD should there be one, more likely try and borrow it first.

A shame about there not being any 'interest' in the Enchanted Castle! Who decides these things. I know I used to like Richard Digance on TV, but when we went to one of his shows someone asked if they would ever be released on DVD and he said unfortunately it wasn't his decision to make. I think a lot of his fans would be interested, but Granada or whoever originally broadcast them won't/can't release them.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

You are obviously looking for this version, but sadly I don't think you will find it!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0497277/?ref_=fn_al_tt_3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;