TV locations for the Famous Five series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
L5taylor
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Georgina

Re: TV locations for the Famous Five series

Post by L5taylor »

Awww, these are brilliant pictures and they have answered my questions in regards to changes made to the front of the house (the grounds). Thanks for sharing!!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Good photos of Blackwater House, Onkel Quentin. Sorry you and Luke couldn't buy it!

The photo of the interior of the boathouse is lovely too.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Onkel Quentin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five Barney Mystery Series

Post by Onkel Quentin »

number 6 wrote:Thanks, O.Q. I didn't realise it was as recent as that! I could not remember what the boathouse looked like, as it was a long time ago since I visited, but your pics have jogged my memory! It's great to see them. Did you get permission to enter the location area? There was no one around to ask when I was there! :D
I just might re-visit Decoy Pond Farm & Sowley Pond when I'm down that way in July.
When are you hoping to return to the New Forest? :D
I was there every year, 3 times, an nobody was there. It is all privat, a fishing club is the owner. But when i drove there last month (I was on the way to Kirrin Cottage), there was a man behind the fence. I stopped my car an asked him for permission to go to the boathouse and make some photos. He was a member of the fishing club. We walked to the boathouse and I made the photos.
I hope I come back to the new forest next year, I want to visit the Isle of Wight, and so I can visit the "Famous Five Land"
number 6
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Wow! The cottage area seems to have changed considerably since my last visit! It's absolutely abound with greenery! Great photos, O.Q.! :D
Last edited by number 6 on 16 May 2018, 10:33, edited 1 time in total.
Onkel Quentin

Post by Onkel Quentin »

I was there last year in november, but I only made pictures from the roadside. There is a high hedge around the garden, and it´s not so easy to see the house. So I took my chance this year and asked for permission. The garden is great (I think Roger is working there every day). All the english people are so friendly and I always got the permission to make photos. I think nobody in Germany would do that.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

I think asking for permission is the right thing to do, O.Q. You did well & got some great photos. In some instances, I couldn't find anyone at all to ask, so I just took a few photos & left quite abruptly! :D
Onkel Quentin

Post by Onkel Quentin »

I couldn't find anybody too. I always used the doof bell. On Kirrin Cottage, there are some dogs, but they are not aggressiv. :twisted:
number 6

Post by number 6 »

I rang the doorbell at Kirrin Cottage, but no one answered. I didn't encounter any dogs, either. I just snapped a few shots & made my getaway! :D
Luke
Favourite book/series: Five go down to sea

Post by Luke »

Me buying the house with Onkel Quentin... :lol: that was not meant seriously...

But in a fantasy world, that would have been cool, and we would all have a Famous Five Reunion 2018 in the garden of Kirrin Cottage! :wink:
L5taylor
Favourite character: Georgina

Post by L5taylor »

You know... that's something we could try and arrange! Pretty sure that the owners of Black Water House would allow it if asked. 40 year anniversary celebration! Who would be up for that?
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Luke wrote:Me buying the house with Onkel Quentin... :lol: that was not meant seriously...

But in a fantasy world, that would have been cool, and we would all have a Famous Five Reunion 2018 in the garden of Kirrin Cottage! :wink:
I wasn't quite sure whether it was a joke or not! :lol: It would be great to think of the house being lived in by someone who loved the 1970s Famous Five series!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Luke
Favourite book/series: Five go down to sea

Post by Luke »

Yes Anita, for sure that would be dream come true. You know, Onkel Quentin wrote me that the owner of the Decoy Pond Farm told him that the singer of Simply Red (that would be Mick Hucknall) "just bought a house in the neighborhood". But it is unsure which cottage she (the owner) meant.
Hope it is not Kirrin Cottage. Well, just imagine you ring at the bell and he thinks it is because of him :P , but actually it is because of the Famous Five...
L5taylor wrote:You know... that's something we could try and arrange! Pretty sure that the owners of Black Water House would allow it if asked. 40 year anniversary celebration! Who would be up for that?
That would be great! If not, any other location like Exbury Gardens would do the job as well. :)
number 6

Post by number 6 »

One for Gary Russell.... :D

Were all the moor scenes in Mystery Moor filmed around Decoy Pond Farm? The reason for asking is that I watched the episode a few nights ago & saw something quite interesting. I refer to the stable scene (Anne, Dick & Julian are about to go out riding with Henrietta) where George storms off after saying "You've got Henrietta for company". After a close up of a fed up Anne, the scene changes to a moorland shot, which only lasts for about 3-4 secs (so you'll have to pause it!). It shows the same trees, small raised banking & the stretch of moorland as those in the closing credits... but from a slightly different angle. They are remarkably similar. This is around 6 mins 25ish secs into the episode. Do you think this could be the elusive end credit location? What's your opinion, Gary? Cheers. :D
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

Yeah, pretty sure I said that a couple of months back. I'm certain the closing credits were shot near DPF
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Gary Russell wrote:Yeah, pretty sure I said that a couple of months back. I'm certain the closing credits were shot near DPF
Oh, I must have overlooked that post or forgot about it! Apologises for going over old ground. Thanks for replying. :D
Last edited by number 6 on 20 Jun 2017, 08:48, edited 1 time in total.