TV locations for the Famous Five series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Re: TV locations for the Famous Five series

Post by number 6 »

Gary Russell wrote:
Onkel Quentin wrote:
number 6 wrote:
Oh dear! The fake Tunnel had me guessing & scratching my head for ages. I think right up until several years ago when Gary Russell told us it wasn't real! I had already visited Marchwood on a few occasions by 1998 & I was convinced the 'long' tunnel was somewhere on the fenced off land near the station. Oh, how wrong I was!! :lol: :roll:
On the german fansite, there is a picture, you can see how they "faked" the tunnel entrance and more other very interesting informations.
Here is the link:

http://www.fuenffreundefanpage.at/de_res-g.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope you like it.
Does anyone know what the two blurred photos showing people filming is from?
I've not got a clue on this one, Gary! Going by your question, I'm assuming it had nothing to do with filming a F5 episode. I honestly just thought it was a documentary being filmed by rail enthusiasts, but it looks too professional for this. :D
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I wouldn't call it a professional photograph - I'd be too embarrassed to put my name to that one! It would appear to be the same saddle tank locomotive as used in the episode, comparing it with the pictures above. In an earlier illustration it is listed as "92 Wagoner".

I have done a little research and discovered this:

This loco was built in 1953 by the Hunslett Engine Company for the MoD. The last regular working MoD Army Department fleet Hunslet Austerity 060 saddle tank was No. 92 Waggoner (W/No. 3792 of 1953), maintained at the Marchwood Military Port as standby to diesel traction.

As it was maintained at Marchwood, they didn't have to look far to find it! It might also give a clue to the location where the photo was taken, possably at Marchwood military sidings.

For those of you who would like to see the loco for real, it currently resides on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway. More info on this loco can be read here. Sadly, there is no mention of its famous (to us) role in Five Go Off to Camp.
Last edited by Moonraker on 08 Feb 2018, 11:05, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Moonraker wrote: For those of you who would like to see the loco for real, it currently resides on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway. More info on this loco can be read here. Sadly, there is no mention of its famous (to us) role in Five Go Off to Camp.
Maybe someone could write in to the IoW Steam Railway and suggest they give Waggoner's TV role a mention on the website? :D Lots of people remember the 1970s Famous Five TV series fondly and I'm sure it would generate interest among visitors.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

"Marchwood militarty sidings" I love the militarty Nigel! :lol:
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Haha! Mistake corrected. :)
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

:shock: :lol:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

That is a very interesting link to the German website... Thank you Onkel Quentin. :)
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Courtenay wrote:
Moonraker wrote: For those of you who would like to see the loco for real, it currently resides on the Isle of Wight Steam Railway. More info on this loco can be read here. Sadly, there is no mention of its famous (to us) role in Five Go Off to Camp.
Maybe someone could write in to the IoW Steam Railway and suggest they give Waggoner's TV role a mention on the website? :D Lots of people remember the 1970s Famous Five TV series fondly and I'm sure it would generate interest among visitors.
They used to mention it- but, I imagine they don't think it would be of interest anymore since the FF programmes haven't been shown since the 70s.
Society Member
Jack400

Post by Jack400 »

Jack400 wrote:My memory's better than I thought!

Here's a couple of links link to the loco:

http://www.iwsteamrailway.co.uk/Waggoner.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/feat ... dex3.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I think I found it a little before you, Nigel! :lol:
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I must have missed that post! :oops:

Well, at least I might have solved the location mystery that Gary was asking about!
Society Member
Jack400

Post by Jack400 »

What were they filming, Moonraker- I can't find it in your post?
Society Member
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

Moonraker wrote:I must have missed that post! :oops:

Well, at least I might have solved the location mystery that Gary was asking about!
I wasn't asking about the location, i was wondering what the footage was from
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

And I wasn't referring to the photo being professional...I was on about the camera crew!
Onkel Quentin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five Barney Mystery Series

Post by Onkel Quentin »

Moonraker wrote:
On the german fansite, someone wrote, that this is the location, the railway scenes been made?
Is this right?
I think, it is not possible, to make photos from this area, because it is military.
I only can see it on google earth.
Onkel Quentin
Favourite book/series: Famous Five Barney Mystery Series

Post by Onkel Quentin »

Daisy wrote:That is a very interesting link to the German website... Thank you Onkel Quentin. :)
Thank you Daisy.

The german fansite is very nice, i have got a lot of inspirations for my visits in the N.F.
There is also a instruction, how to drive, to find most of the locations of the FF in two days. When i come first time to N.F., this was a good help for me.
There are also a lot photos from the locations. I think you can find it, if you google:
"Fünf Freunde Fanpage Drehorte" "(Drehorte" is the german word for "Filming location").
If you read the name "Adrian Wood", this is our "number 6", but it is not his right name! :wink: