TV locations for the Famous Five series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
daanton
Favourite book/series: FAMOUS FIVE
Favourite character: All the Five, but especially Anne.

Re: TV locations for the Famous Five series

Post by daanton »

Wunderbar! 8) Great info!
Famous Five TV Fan
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Great stuff, Luke! Visting the New Forest & tracing the location sites for the 78 TV series can be good fun, especially on hot, sunny days! I love walking across the Moors/Heathlands to the little villages & towns, Visiting some location sites en-route. A great way of making the most of your visit. :D
daanton
Favourite book/series: FAMOUS FIVE
Favourite character: All the Five, but especially Anne.

Post by daanton »

I particularly liked how you tried to match what you saw where you were standing to what was shown in the particular TV episode.That's additional attention to detail....! 8)
Famous Five TV Fan
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

I'm just saying... I'm not convinced by the Castle Hill stuff. Entire mountains and hills in the background seem to have vanished in some shots. Now I know continental shift and erosion are real geological things but I'm not sure it happens in thirty years. I'm not saying the person that put this together is wrong, I'm just not personally convinced they're 100% right either.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Yeah, I can see where you're coming from, Gary. I tend to be a bit sceptical when looking at photos of locations until I've seen them with my own eyes, unless it's blatantly obvious of course! It's easy to identify the buildings/Village locations, because these have changed very little over the last 30 years, or so. It's amazing how things look different in the rural locations over the same period of time. This is due to trees being felled/grown, vegetation expansion, erosion or roads being upgraded/resurfaced, etc. Even where the photo has been taken from can be misleading. Suddenly small bumps in the landscape can look a lot larger than they really are! However, saying all that, I feel that Luke is right on this occasion. It seems to match up pretty well. :D
Last edited by number 6 on 13 Jun 2018, 21:58, edited 1 time in total.
Luke
Favourite book/series: Five go down to sea

Post by Luke »

I'm pretty sure it was shot on Castle Hill. I mean maybe not the scene right before they spot the barn but the scene with the police car. I will check it out when I go there this spring or summer.

Meanwhile, I just found another location! I watched the series "Five get into a fix" and I always wondered where it was shot. (the house "Old Towers" and the bridge). I wondered was it really Wales or New Forest?
I wanted to ask the forum here but I found it yesterday by googling for Hampshire country houses. I had a suspicion it was near the river Test.
I'm pretty sure "Old Towers" is Roydon Manor in the New Forest.
Check out this link for example and compare with a still shot of "get into a fix" :
http://www.newforestexplorersguide.co.u ... manor.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do you think? :)
number 6

Post by number 6 »

yes, I think you're spot on, Luke. If I'm not mistaken, I've several photos of Roydon Manor in my 1978/79 F5 series location collection. It first came to my attention a few years ago when visiting the New Forest. All of my photos, etc, are still stuck in my loft after the extensive redecorating I did late last year. Your post jogged my memory. I'll have to dig them out when I've time. :D
Last edited by number 6 on 13 Jun 2018, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Just had a memory flashback! I seem to recall getting off the train at Brockenhurst & taking a footpath that led past Roydon Manor. I think it was a circular walk, which eventually led me back to the station. Don't quote me on it, though, as it was a long time ago! :D
Luke
Favourite book/series: Five go down to sea

Post by Luke »

Thanks for confirming number 6 and great that it brought memories back for you. Yes, there is a circular walk from Brockenhurst indeed.
I think you could say: Mystery solved... :)
Betsfindouter
Favourite book/series: Find Outers, Famous Five, St Clare's,
Favourite character: Bets Hilton

Post by Betsfindouter »

I remember seeing the beautiful gypsy caravans used in the 70s series at Paultons Park just outside Romsey about 10 years ago (I was incredibly excited when I saw the notice next to them!). Sadly the collection was auctioned off back in 2009 and I have no idea where they are now, seems a shame not to show them for public display. Five Go Off In a Caravan gave me a love of these quaint mobile homes, maybe one day I'll own one although it would purely be a garden ornament! If only I'd had a smartphone back then as it would have been a perfect 'selfie' opportunity, I have a feeling I did take a couple of photos but they came out a little dark.
Society Member
Connal

Post by Connal »

Hello. I'm new here, just a few questions.. How close to the Rhinefield hotel is the castle in which professor Terry-Kane was locked up in Five have a wondeful time? And how about Dunster castle? Imdb says it was one of the filming locations in the 1990's show, but I have forgotten which episode it was.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Hi Connal. Rhinefield Hotel is the Castle where Terry-Kane was imprisoned! If Google the hotel & look at the images you'll recognise it from the series. :D
Connal

Post by Connal »

Thanks for your message :) But I still don't recognise it :D And, I meant the 1990's show when I was looking for the castle in "Faynight" :) I could have said that more clearly in my previous message :D
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Oh, I thought you meant Faynights castle (Rhinefield Hotel) filming location from the 70's F5 series! :D
I think there is someone on this forum who knows quite a bit about the 90's series filming locations, but my mind has gone blank! :roll:
Connal

Post by Connal »

Hopefully someone knows the place :) I'm asking because I'm planning a trip to England during upcoming summer, if I just get a job first :) I would like to see some filming locations of the 1990's show, like Woodchester mansion and some castles.