TV locations for the Famous Five series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
MrsKirrin
Favourite book/series: Five Go Down to the Sea
Favourite character: Aunt Frances, Quentin, All the Five

Re: TV locations for the Famous Five series

Post by MrsKirrin »

Hi!

Very intresting topic :)

I know that 1990s Tremmanon Farm in Five go down to the sea were filmed in Devon. I'd love to know exactly where in Devon but I don't. Does anybody know the location of the smuggler's tower from the same episode?

I'd also love to know the location of 1990s Kirrin Cottage.
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

The 90's Kirrin Cottage is actually a cottage for hire in Devon or Cornwall. I can't remember the village's name, but if you give me a chance I shall find the website where it tells me where it is for you! :oops:

And all of series two was filmed in the West Country, becase Zenith(?) one of the producers pulled out and they took with them their locations elsewhere.

I has of yet not gotten around to memorising locations for th 90s series, apart from knowing that Whitby Lighthouse was in Five Go to Demon's Rocks, and the house in Gloustershire where they filmed Two Trees in Five on a Hike Together, the name of the house also totally escapes me...

Lord I feel like a bad fan at times like this. Never mind all my other knowledge. :roll:

Edit: FOUND IT! Kirrin Cottage is in Bossington, in Somerset.
And the house is Woodchester in Gloustershire!
You can see all the information here, MrsKirrin. :D
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Pippa-Stef wrote: And all of series two was filmed in the West Country, becase Zenith(?) one of the producers pulled out and they took with them their locations elsewhere.
I am always a bit nervous of disagreeing with a Famous Five 'groupie', but I must just say here that Zenith certainly didn't pull out as they were the production company, and had they pulled out you wouldn't have even had a second series! They were doing the series for two TV companies, HTV and Tyne Tees, which is why the first series was filmed in both areas. Tyne Tees pulled out of the second series, which is why all of that was filmed in the HTV area. Their headquarters were the HTV offices in Bristol, and the actors stayed at the Marriott Hotel in Bristol and were bused out to different locations each day. I do have quite a number of Schedules and Call Sheets for this second series which give details of where each location is and how to get there.

As I have said before, Zenith intended to follow the Famous Five with a Find-Outers series, but they were unable to agree with Chorion about what period it should be filmed in and they did pull out of that and went on to film Lucy Daniels' Animal Ark series instead.
MrsKirrin

Post by MrsKirrin »

Pippa-Stef wrote:I has of yet not gotten around to memorising locations for th 90s series, apart from knowing that Whitby Lighthouse was in Five Go to Demon's Rocks, and the house in Gloustershire where they filmed Two Trees in Five on a Hike Together, the name of the house also totally escapes me...

Edit: FOUND IT! Kirrin Cottage is in Bossington, in Somerset.
And the house is Woodchester in Gloustershire!
You can see all the information here, MrsKirrin. :D
Dear Pippa-Stef,
THANK YOU, THANK YOU SOOO MUCH! You're an absolut star! I have wanted to know the location of Kirrin Cottage for YEARS! :D
This is wonderful :D
I'll keep looking for the tower in "Five go down to the sea" :)
Once again - THANK YOU :D You totally made my day!!! :D :D :D
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
Pippa-Stef wrote: And all of series two was filmed in the West Country, becase Zenith(?) one of the producers pulled out and they took with them their locations elsewhere.
I am always a bit nervous of disagreeing with a Famous Five 'groupie', but I must just say here that Zenith certainly didn't pull out as they were the production company, and had they pulled out you wouldn't have even had a second series! They were doing the series for two TV companies, HTV and Tyne Tees, which is why the first series was filmed in both areas. Tyne Tees pulled out of the second series, which is why all of that was filmed in the HTV area. Their headquarters were the HTV offices in Bristol, and the actors stayed at the Marriott Hotel in Bristol and were bused out to different locations each day. I do have quite a number of Schedules and Call Sheets for this second series which give details of where each location is and how to get there.

As I have said before, Zenith intended to follow the Famous Five with a Find-Outers series, but they were unable to agree with Chorion about what period it should be filmed in and they did pull out of that and went on to film Lucy Daniels' Animal Ark series instead.
I'm sorry Tony, I genuinely didn't know what had happened. Sorry for getting it wrong. I should have let you answer that piece.

*goes and sits in the corner* :oops:
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

MrsKirrin, you're welcome. Glad I could help in someway, as I seem fairly useless in others.

Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I didn't mean it to sound as if I was correcting you Stef, I was just trying to add a bit to your extensive Famous Five knowledge. You would probably be able to tell me the room number that Marco was staying in!! :lol:
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Tony Summerfield wrote:You would probably be able to tell me the room number that Marco was staying in!! :lol:
Come on, Stef, which room was it? :lol: :lol: :lol:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Oh gosh. Now you're testing me!

*runs off to ask Paul*

*runs back*

He doesn't know either! :lol:

Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Tony Summerfield wrote: I do have quite a number of Schedules and Call Sheets for this second series which give details of where each location is and how to get there.
Oh and Tony...

Any chance of a copy of those? :wink:

MrsKirrin

Post by MrsKirrin »

Pippa-Stef wrote:MrsKirrin, you're welcome. Glad I could help in someway, as I seem fairly useless in others.
I love your avatar! How nice you met Paul Child! What is he like in real life? He looks nice in the photo. I've listened to some of his music, I think "Silence in the noise " is good :)
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

The tower and cove in Five Go Down To The Sea are at Valley of the Rocks on Exmoor.
I spent most of my childhood on Exmoor so I know all the places well, its a beautiful place and where I think of as home, I love watching my 90s series and recognising the locations! :D
Kirrin Cottage and Bossington are beautiful.

Also in Bossington is the little bridge and stream where Jo leads the boys (and is herself kidnapped) in Five Fall Into Adventure. I've paddled in that stream hundreds of times :D

Got to go and watch Five Go Down To The Sea now, hehe!

Carlotta x
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
petejt
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five

Post by petejt »

Nick Capaldi wrote:http://www.flickr.com/photos/nickcapald ... 183610554/

Just a quick note to say i've now uploaded a good selection of photos we took while visiting the filming locations of the 70s series. Hope you like them :D
Thanks for these very much.

The one thing that intrigued me more than anything, were the secret passages. I have read that most of them were 'constructed' in the basement kitchen of Exbury House, however what about the entrances to these secret passages? The door to the dungeons on Kirrin Island? The dungeon itself? The hidey holes in the kitchen of Kirrin Farm? The secret passage entrance in the study bookcase at Smuggler's Top? The 'Via Occulta' trapdoor in the study of Kirrin Cottage? And those stairs that were featured many times? Where are all these located?
Last edited by petejt on 05 Jan 2014, 19:27, edited 1 time in total.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

And to be fair to Stef (not that I am suggesting Tony wasn't), she did put a question mark after Zenith! :D
Society Member
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Moonraker wrote:And to be fair to Stef (not that I am suggesting Tony wasn't), she did put a question mark after Zenith! :D
I do highlight things I'm not sure of. Which is most of the time, because I just happen to be that stupid and not remember things!