TV locations for the Famous Five series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: TV locations for the Famous Five series

Post by Chrissie777 »

Moonraker wrote:Chrissie, I don't know what car you have, but unless it is a pre-war Austin, your timings are way out! London (Vauxhall) to Bodmin, Cornwall would take 4'20" (M4/M5/A30). From Vauxhall to Hawes, Yorkshire would currently take 4'50" (A1M/M18).
Nigel, it was before WW II. I read about those long drives from London to Cornwall in several British books like one biography on Daphne DuMaurier whose father bought a house for his family in Fowey, Cornwall, where they spent summers in the 1920's/1930's.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Eddie Muir wrote:I used to drive from Brighton to Glasgow (about 470 miles) in around eight hours. Mind you, that was about 30 years ago.
Thank you, Eddie. That's very helpful to get an idea for planning our trip next year.
We intend to stay for a few days in the Yorkshire Dales, then drive some more to visit Bamburgh Castle in Northumberland & Hadrian's Wall, before going further north to Edinburgh.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

You're welcome, Chrissie. I'm glad that the information is of use to you. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Chrissie777 wrote:
Moonraker wrote:Chrissie, I don't know what car you have, but unless it is a pre-war Austin, your timings are way out! London (Vauxhall) to Bodmin, Cornwall would take 4'20" (M4/M5/A30). From Vauxhall to Hawes, Yorkshire would currently take 4'50" (A1M/M18).
Nigel, it was before WW II. I read about those long drives from London to Cornwall in several British books like one biography on Daphne DuMaurier whose father bought a house for his family in Fowey, Cornwall, where they spent summers in the 1920's/1930's.
Strewth, Chrissie. I didn't know you were so old!

Yes, I remember a journey from Salisbury to St Ives used to take practically all day before the A303 was dualled most of the way. I remember horrific hold-ups (not by highwaymen - the other kind) on the Exeter by-pass. Then it was a solid gridlock on the A30 through St Austell, Camborne and Hayle. Happy days!
We intend to stay for a few days in the Yorkshire Dales, then drive some more to visit Bamburgh Castle in Northumberland & Hadrian's Wall, before going further north to Edinburgh.
The Yorkshire Dales are wonderful - and Bamburgh Castle is one of the best castles we have ever been to. Hadrian's Wall is a bit of a non-event, and Edinburgh is just another large city. There are many lovelier towns to visit whilst in Scotland.

Again, apologies for staying off-topic, but Chrissie started it! :wink:
Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

RE- End Title sequence.
One for Gary Russell to ponder over. This is the view over Yew Tree Heath, near DPF, looking SE from a very small copse of pine trees towards the distant tree line of Ferny crofts & the pig bush car park. The photo was taken from the earthwork (Ramp) a few yards from the B3056 road. The scenery does more or less match up (allowing for growth of vegetation), inc the little water-filled dip on the right. I did dismiss this as the end title sequence, but something keeps drawing me back to this one particular spot & now I'm having second thoughts! Does this look familair to you, Gary? If not, then we can dismiss it altogether. :D
I e-mailed this photo to timv to have a look at. He did send me a reply, but I can't find the e-mail to refresh my memory! :roll:

If you look at the distant tree line in the photo, Beaulieu road car park is about a half a mile behind you & the DPF is nearly a mile behind you, but further left. The Partridge bush copse is a few hundred yards ahead along the B3056 (not seen in photo). Apologises for the poor quality pic.

Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

Well it looks exactly how I'd expect it to look 40 years later. Question is, what was behind you when you took the picture.
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

number 6 wrote:This is the view over Yew Tree Heath, near DPF ....
Excuse my ignorance, Number 6, but what does DPF stand for? My apologies if it is apparent from one of your earlier posts. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Gary Russell

Post by Gary Russell »

Eddie Muir wrote:Excuse my ignorance, Number 6, but what does DPF stand for? My apologies if it is apparent from one of your earlier posts. :D
Decoy Pond Farm, where Mystery Moor was filmed :-)
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Gary Russell wrote:Well it looks exactly how I'd expect it to look 40 years later. Question is, what was behind you when you took the picture.
Unfortunately, I've not got any pics looking behind me! All I've got is a map of the area, which I fear won't be much help to you. But...If you look on the map you'll see that behind me is the B3056 road & more heathland. Then a quarter of a mile back along the road is the entrance to the Denny lodge CP on the map. This is also the entrance to DPF driveway. Beyond this is the Beaulieu rd train station.

Can you remember any other snippets of info, no matter how small, which may be useful? This could be estimated distance/direction from DPF, crossing tracks/B roads/streams, where the ramp was (ie isolated on moor or not far from a road/track), where the crew parked, etc. I know this is asking a lot, but I know you've got a great memory for the finer details regarding the series! :D

Last edited by number 6 on 04 Sep 2017, 12:31, edited 4 times in total.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Gary Russell wrote:
Eddie Muir wrote:Excuse my ignorance, Number 6, but what does DPF stand for? My apologies if it is apparent from one of your earlier posts. :D
Decoy Pond Farm, where Mystery Moor was filmed :-)
Oooooo...I was gonna say that!! :lol:
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Fascinating how you've come to find all these places number 6. Even after all these years. :D
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thanks for the explanation, Gary and Number 6. Much appreciated. :D

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Fascinating how you've come to find all these places number 6. Even after all these years. :D
Some say I've got nothing better to do with my time, Julie.....& in some ways, they're probably right! :wink:

To be fair, it's been a team effort over the years. There's Luke, Onkel Quentin & timv to name but a few, who have contributed pics, shared info, etc, on this thread. They're a great bunch, very enthusiastic & very knowledgable regarding the series. Above all, they're very friendly people. I really hope to meet up with them in the New Forest sometime in the future, for a wander around & a good old chin wag!
Also, I can't forget Gary Russell, who has contributed his fair share of info for which we are all grateful for. :D

Personally, though, I started visiting the locations many years ago. My first visit was to Gatewood bridge with my family, a few years after filming of the series. I was about 15 (?). I thought I was the only person (Billy no mates!) who had an interest in locating & visiting the locations..until I joined the forums & found others with the same passion! I didn't start taking photos till around ten years ago & I only started posting them on the forum about a year ago! Most of my old pics have been lost. Which is a huge shame. Some were very special, unique & irreplaceable. :|
Gary Russell

Post by Gary Russell »

Right when we shot the closing titles, we wewre on the edge of the road. The camera was actually in the road, with a car park (my memory was that it was slightly up and down to drive into/around) behind the camera, albeit maybe a few yards away. I don't recall traisping across mootrland to get to where we filmed, my memory is that we were right on the edge of the road. Road. Grassy verge. Slight ditch. Then us, and we walked at 45 degrees slightly left. but that's a 40 year old memory. But i'm usually pretty good on this kind of thing.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

That's brilliant stuff, Gary! Those little bits of info do help. With what you say, we can safely rule out the bit of moorland shown in the photo in my recent post. There are only three car parks in the vicinity of the moorland, so this narrows it down yet again. Your description strongly resembles the area at the DPF entrance, with the road, grassy verge & ditch, all except the CP which isn't up/down as you described, & there are a few building on the opposite side of the CP, which you said weren't present when filming. This then leaves two & now takes us up to the CP at Pig bush & the one near Ferny crofts farm on Yew tree Heath. The description now points more favourably to Ferny croft CP, but I'll see if timv can get some pics when he's next up that way, which will give us a better idea of the area. :D

I'm quite impressed with your memory, Gary. I think it's amazing that you can remember the smallest of details, especially after 40 years since the filming took place! 8)
Thank you very much for the info & for your time. Much appreciated. :D