TV locations for the Famous Five series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Re: TV locations for the Famous Five series

Post by Eddie Muir »

Great photo, Number 6. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Cheers, Eddie! :D
number 6

Post by number 6 »

The narrow inlet area at Dancing Ledge, which was used in the Down to the sea episode. During filming of the episode, the camera was positioned below the big Rock (centre of pic) looking up towards the small cave in the cliff (on left). It shows the Five & Yan hiding behind it, as they observed the little rowing boat bobbing about on the sea just off the ledge itself.

Just above the Rock, the entrance to the cave can be seen on the left. One scene shows the Five & Yan running along the rocky ridge & into the cave. The top of the big Rock can just be seen at the bottom of this pic.

Last edited by number 6 on 23 Aug 2017, 17:26, edited 3 times in total.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

number 6 wrote:The cliffs at Dancing Ledge, seen behind Yan during his speech about the Wreckers Cave in the Down to the sea episode! :D
That's an incredible photo, number 6!!! 8)
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Your photos are always impressive, Number 6. :D
Last edited by Eddie Muir on 22 Aug 2017, 19:41, edited 1 time in total.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Lovely photos, takes me back to a few weeks ago when I was there! Great place. :)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

@Eddie..Many thanks. Not bad pics for an amateur with a dodgy camera! :D

@Chrissie...You'd love it at Dancing Ledge, with all the nooks & crannies to explore, as long as you've still got some flexibility! Tis quite an effort to get down the rocky drop down to the ledge! I could've got better photos, but my dodgy ankle & knee prevented me from climbing down & getting closer! :D

@Julie...I saw your lovely pics, all bathed in beautiful Sunshine. You chose a fab day! I guess you're gonna visit the ledge again one day & perhaps dangle your toes in the Icy pool? I'm sure you will! :D
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

number 6 wrote:Chrissie...You'd love it at Dancing Ledge, with all the nooks & crannies to explore, as long as you've still got some flexibility! Tis quite an effort to get down the rocky drop down to the ledge! I could've got better photos, but my dodgy ankle & knee prevented me from climbing down & getting closer! :D
Number 6, we've been to the Jurassic Coast near Corfe Castle and the landscape is very similar. Dramatic cliffs.
You live in a very beautiful country! 8) 8) 8)
Our last trip to Europe (before retirement) in 2020 will be to the Channel Islands, Dorset, Devon and Cornwall once more.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Oh, brilliant, Chrissie! I knew you'd been to Corfe, but not the Coast! To say the UK is a small island, it's very beautiful & diverse. 2020 ain't far away now. You'll be over here before you know it! You never know, we may bump into each other during the Dorset part of your visit! :D
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Back to the beautiful Blackwater house (Kirrin Cottage) for another glimpse of the changes made to the garden/drive since filming took place. The garden is lovely, but the sentimental me prefers the old look! :D

upload photos

Last edited by number 6 on 23 Aug 2017, 10:13, edited 1 time in total.
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

number 6 wrote:Oh, brilliant, Chrissie! I knew you'd been to Corfe, but not the Coast! To say the UK is a small island, it's very beautiful & diverse. 2020 ain't far away now. You'll be over here before you know it! You never know, we may bump into each other during the Dorset part of your visit! :D
Number 6, I went to Corfe Castle Village in May 1981 for the first time and once more with André in August 2008, but hadn't seen the Jurassic Coast way back in 1981.

Thanks to the help of the Bookends of Fowey owner at the time, Christine Alexander in Cornwall, who found out Rank's phone # for me (snd who had an EB brochure where the movie was mentioned), I received a lot of information from Rank Screen Services during two long phone calls in May 1995.
Before 1998 I had no Internet access. So calling Rank was my only chance to find out the movie locations.
I was able to write down 3 of the movie locations of the 1957 FOATI CFF version and exploring those was on my travel wish list for a looong time.

So it's actually only for Rank that I discovered Lulworth Cove, Durdle Door and Stairhole Cove at the Jurassic Coast.
Thanks to Vivienne Endicott we were able to close the last gap: where was the beginning scene filmed in FOATI in which Timmy runs inside the antiques store?
Viv kindly told us that it's just around the corner from the Ginger Pop Shop and today called Oliver's Bistro.
We took lots of photos from all 4 places.

And yes, we could definitely meet in Dorset in 2020! :D
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

number 6 wrote:To say the UK is a small island, it's very beautiful & diverse. 2020 ain't far away now.
Number 6, the UK never seemed small to me.
It used to take 7+ hours to get from London to Cornwall, but I think by car it's still not much less nowadays.
I doubt you could make it by car from London to Scotland in one day even if you could leave London around 6 a.m..
For me that's a long drive. :shock:
I hope going from London to the Yorkshire Dales next year will be doable in one day.

Yes, the UK has many different landscapes, the cliffs along the coast line, the moors, the big woods like the New Forest (still on my wish list), the caves near Cheddar, the marshes in East Anglia, the mountains in Scotland, the region with the large lakes where the "Swallows and Amazons" books take place etc.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Brilliant photos of Dancing Ledge, Number 6 - and Decoy Pond Farm.
number 6 wrote:Here's a photo of the Pool at Dancing Ledge, which I took several years ago! The pool is refreshed with seawater which each tide, as seen below. It's roughly about 12-15ft long & 5ft wide. I did bathe in it a few times, but it was a bit nippy to say the least! :shock:

:lol: :lol: That looks pathetic compared to the Malory Towers pool! Swimming competitions are held in the one at Malory Towers, and it's big enough for people to believe a girl of twelve is about to drown (someone jumps in to rescue her).
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Two great posts, Chrissie! I must say that you certainly did your homework regarding the F5 film! I've never seen the film all the way through. I really should do so! I'm glad you got to visit Lulworth & Stairhole, which are both quite stunning. Corfe Castle is also a lovely place to spent time in. The New Forest is so beautiful, with its vast stretches of heathland & roaming ponies, that it's a must-do venue! When you live in the Uk, I suppose you don't really appreciate what's on your doorstep! :D

And when you visit the New Forest...beware of the rush hour traffic.! :lol: :lol:

Crossroads from the Hike episode.
Last edited by number 6 on 23 Aug 2017, 10:08, edited 5 times in total.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: :lol: :lol: That looks pathetic compared to the Malory Towers pool! Swimming competitions are held in the one at Malory Towers, and it's big enough for people to believe a girl of twelve is about to drown (someone jumps in to rescue her).
:lol: :lol: It's certainly not an Olympic sized swimming pool by a long chalk, & nowhere near like the one in Malory Towers!! I think it just gave Enid the basic idea, then it was purely down to artistic licence after that! :D