Sunny Stories BBC TV 1992 - Maureen Lipman

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Petermax

Sunny Stories BBC TV 1992 - Maureen Lipman

Post by Petermax »

Browsing Youtube I have discovered that some enterprising soul has uploaded the 1992 BBC TV documentary/biopic "Sunny Stories" featuring Maureen Lipman playing the role of Enid Blyton. It is hard to believe that it has been 15 years since I last saw this, time goes by far too quickly.

"Sunny Stories" has been uploaded in eight parts with a total running time of one hour. Here is the link to part 1, parts 2 to 8 are easily located once you start viewing.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VR4a7wXWS" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... er&search=

Many people familiar to Enid Blyton fans make an appearance in this biopic, among them being Barbara Stoney and Gillian Baverstock.
Last edited by Petermax on 21 Aug 2007, 21:02, edited 2 times in total.
Almas
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Adventure/Famous Five/ Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty (I have a crush on him!!)

Re: The Enid Blyton Story 1992

Post by Almas »

Thanks Petermax, very interesting... :)
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Sunny Stories BBC TV 1992

Post by Rob Houghton »

I have the official video of this, bought at one of the EB 'Days' a couple of years ago. Its a very good documentary, and maureen Lipman is so uncannily like Enid that its frightening!

Sure my copy is longer than an hour, though - think its about an hour and a half. :)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I also have this programme on video - it's an excellent and unusual dramatisation of Enid Blyton's life. Barbara Stoney and Gillian Baverstock appear in the programme but not Imogen Smallwood if I remember correctly - she is played by actress Anna Massey, who speaks words from Imogen's autobiography, A Childhood at Green Hedges. The producer, Ken Howard, gave a talk at the Enid Blyton Day a few years ago.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

I had no idea that "Sunny Stories" was released on video, I will have to keep a close eye on Ebay. In the meantime I have downloaded it from Youtube and edited the eight sections together to produce a (just!) watchable DVD.
Anita Bensoussane wrote:Barbara Stoney and Gillian Baverstock appear in the programme but not Imogen Smallwood

I was of course referring to the late Gillian Baverstock in my original post, I always did get names mixed up!
Robert Houghton wrote:I have the official video of this, bought at one of the EB 'Days' a couple of years ago. Its a very good documentary, and Maureen Lipman is so uncannily like Enid that its frightening!
Maureen Lipman played a very scary Enid Blyton, those children that she had gathered around her in the playroom party scene looked absolutely terrified!
DarrellRivers

Post by DarrellRivers »

Robert Houghton wrote: maureen Lipman is so uncannily like Enid that its frightening!
I did see the entire 8 parts on You-tube. If anyone has heard the real Enid Blyton speak, does Maureen Lipman really sound like her? I'm asking, because I'm disappointed, I didn't like Maureen Lipman's way of speaking :oops:
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all the forum members!
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I am currently watching Part 6, and so far, have been enjoying it all. I was a bit disappointed, though, by the way 'Enid' spoke!! :roll:

It also appears as if bits have been cut off at the end and beginning of "parts". :cry: I suppose that's why those who have it on video are saying it's more than the total time on YouTube.

Society Member
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I have Enid Blyton herself reading Noddy stories on two 45rpm records from 1957/58, and I think Maureen Lipman's impression of her voice is actually quite accurate. Sorry to disappoint those who wished she spoke differently! :D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Almas
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Adventure/Famous Five/ Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty (I have a crush on him!!)

Post by Almas »

Robert Houghton wrote:I have Enid Blyton herself reading Noddy stories on two 45rpm records from 1957/58, and I think Maureen Lipman's impression of her voice is actually quite accurate. Sorry to disappoint those who wished she spoke differently! :D
Wow! You amaze me, Robert. Do you really mean you have a cassette of Enid reading the Noddy books? Ooooooooooh! I am envious!

Lipman's voice really is like Enid because I have just finished listening to the BBC interviews. Lipman really has done a great job. She looks terribly like Enid. Is she wearing a wig in the video? I guess it is!
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I recall producer Ken Howard saying in his talk that he filmed a lot more than was required and had to cut the film for the TV programme (and probably for the video too.)

You're right that Maureen Lipman wore a wig, Almas. Ken Howard said there was a bit of a commotion when a dog ran off with the wig at one point during filming, and started chewing it!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Just to set the record straight Sunny Stories has not ever been commercially released on video. Ken Howard very kindly produced 50 copies for me to sell through the Society, and sell they did - like hot cakes! Therefore the version that has appeared is either taken from a home done recording of the original or it has been taken from one of our Society copies.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I knew these video's were on limited offer at the time, but I had no idea there were only 50 copies made - so I feel really lucky to own one now! :D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Aunt Fanny
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by Aunt Fanny »

I am lucky enough to have one of these very special videos---I gave it to a friend to put on the dreaded ebay,as sadly forced to sell much of my collection.
Anyway, I would welcome any offers before that happens! No idea how much to ask ,or even what it cost in the 1st place! Will have to ask Tony!
Your very own Auntie.
:D
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Dare I ask if a repeat run of "Sunny Stories" in DVD format could be made available via the society shop? Or would copyright and production issues make this unlikely? Judging by the response to this thread there would probably be quite a few takers.

The version posted on Youtube would appear to have been sourced from the recording broadcast on BBC2 and as Ming pointed out, it has been edited in places.
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I would think copyright wouldnt allow it. After all, we were only able to buy them direct from the producer of the documentary and only 50 were allowed to be produced!
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member