1970s FF Series Incidental Music.

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Petermax

1970s FF Series Incidental Music.

Post by Petermax »

Tidying up my attic on a rainy Sunday, I chanced upon an old LP containing sound effects and mood music. I obtained this back in the early 1980s during my period as an amateur film maker. (super 8, anyone remember that?) Anyway, it contains a track titled "Exotic Islands" which was used as incidental music in a few episodes of the series. Five on Kirrin Island and Five Go Off in a Caravan certainly featured this track.

Have a listen, the quality is not brilliant but it will bring back a few memories.

1970s series Famous Five Incidental Music
Last edited by Petermax on 09 Aug 2007, 00:01, edited 3 times in total.
Eljay

Post by Eljay »

Thanks for posting this! Quality is very clear actually, I can hear sounds that I never noticed whenever this was played in the series. I had long suspected that most, if not all, of the 70s series incidental music was stock/library music, as I've heard various pieces on several other programmes over the years, including an Australian soap from the 80s that I used to watch called 'Prisoner: Cell Block H'!
Last edited by Eljay on 31 Dec 2011, 01:44, edited 1 time in total.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Cheers, Petermax!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Wahey!!!

That's SO cool ;)

Many thanks am swaying along
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: 1970s series incidental music.

Post by Lucky Star »

Cheers thats great. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
ingots

Post by ingots »

Soooo cool!!

cheers for that PeterMax.. more more I say, Absolutely smashing!

Do you have the one with the bass guitar that goes "whaaa whaa whaa, wha wha wha whaaa wha wa"....?

I love that one... pls more!

Marc
"Dick he said"
"He didn't mean YOU!"
--Five On A Hike Together--
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

ingots wrote:Soooo cool!! cheers for that PeterMax.. more more I say, Absolutely smashing!
Do you have the one with the bass guitar that goes "whaaa whaa whaa, wha wha wha whaaa wha wa"....? I love that one... pls more! Marc
What I would give to get hold of that bass guitar music, I presume that it was a library track as was "Exotic Islands". Can anyone help?
MickWood55

Post by MickWood55 »

Thanks for posting this Peter !
BTW I have noticed that some of the incidental music used in The Famouse Five was also used in The Sweeney, which was filmed around the same time.
I have noticed at least 3 different sequences that were used in both programmes --"scary music" for suspense scenes, "fast base guitar" for chase scenes and the "Exotic Islands" sequence that you posted.
I guess they were made for different audiences so the producers probably thought no one would notice !
The entire Sweeney (series 1- 4) is now out on DVD. I believe the music I am referring to can be found in series 3 and 4. Well worth buying, if you you have an interest in 1970s tv or missed it first time round.

Michael
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

That is fascinating information Michael. It just so happens that I have the Sweeney series in my rental queue at an online DVD club. No idea when I will receive it though. They're currently sending me the Jack Hargreaves Out of Town series but that's another story!

By way of coincidence Jenny Thanisch has made appearances in The Sweeney in a least three episodes. This would probably have been around 1975/76.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

petermax wrote:By way of coincidence Jenny Thanisch has made appearances in The Sweeney in a least three episodes. This would probably have been around 1975/76.
Indeed! And pictures can be seen of her in The Sweeney, on the Yahoo Jennifer Thanisch Group.
Society Member
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Almas
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Adventure/Famous Five/ Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty (I have a crush on him!!)

Post by Almas »

Thanks to both George and Petermax! :D
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Thanks George, a very interesting link. It would appear that both The Sweeney and Famous Five incidental music tracks were composed by Brian Bennett, a former member of The Shadows. The tracks are from the Drama Montage LP released in 1978. A copy of this rare album is currently available on Ebay USA at a rather silly price.
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

STOP PRESS

My brother has found one of the tracks and I now have it as an MP3.

It's the one I think that's used in many of them, including Trouble when they're loading Richard into the car and the subsequent chase....

Don't know how to upload it at the mo and am dashing out to work but for now I'll email to people who pm me their address on my return.....
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

yes please :-)