Famous Five 90s Series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

petermax wrote:I am very interested in Tony Summerfield's location photos of the 90s series, are they accessible online? Despite being a 70s series fan I do feel that the 90s series should be given more coverage. I for one would like to know a bit more about the actors, have any of them attended the Enid Blyton Days for example or contributed articles to the EBS magazine?
The answers to your questions are No, Yes, Yes.

No, at present none of my location photos are available on line.

Yes, Jemima Rooper was a speaker at the Enid Blyton Day in 1997. Someone sent me a very poor photo of her at the event and amusingly in the bottom left of the picture you can just about see Gary Russell who spoke at the same event:-

Yes, both Jemima Rooper and Laura Petela wrote pieces for the Journal
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Thanks for putting up the picture, a great shot of a young Jemima Rooper despite being somewhat blurred, was it really ten years ago?
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Me too! You lucky dog, Tony (love the new avatar!). Imagine meeting Jemima, wow! After Hex, I'm firmly in love with her!

[Sad old git]
Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Hmm, perhaps we can put up a Hex thread somewhere on this forum or perhaps not, I doubt that EB would have approved, I know that Mary Whitehouse certainly wouldn't!

Let's get back on topic. A DVD release of the 1990s FF series is long overdue, although various DVD editions do exist in Holland and Germany. As to whether these are official DVDs I do not know, perhaps Yan can enlighten us? It is strange that some very obscure TV series are released on DVD and yet the better known series do not see the light of day. Only the other night I was watching a DVD of the Tomorrow People circa 1974, who remembers that? I'm still waiting for a DVD release of The Double Deckers, now I really am digressing!

That harp scene in Hex.............
Jen-Jen
Favourite book/series: The Boy Next Door
Favourite character: Fatty, George, Barney and Darrell

Post by Jen-Jen »

I love the 90's series - I agree with you all that Jemima plays George well. But I also love Dick (even though he should have brown hair - the blonde has grown on me) - he says the funniest things in this series and makes me laugh. And he is portrayed as a bit of a show off - something I can quite well see Dick being.

I had no idea that Marco broke his leg in the second series, Tony. I am going to watch my DVD's again and see if I can notice it!
(Petermax - an offical DVD set for the 90's series was released in Australia a few years ago - but it doesn't have all the episode - just 15 or so).

One thing I don't like about the series is Kirrin Island - I always imagine it to be covered in trees and in this series it looks very bare - just a castle on a hill.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

petermax wrote:Hmm, perhaps we can put up a Hex thread somewhere on this forum or perhaps not, I doubt that EB would have approved, I know that Mary Whitehouse certainly wouldn't! .............That harp scene in Hex.............
Steady, boy! Much as I love the prog, maybe this isn't the best place to drool over a lesbian ghost!

EF anyone? :wink:
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Jen-Jen wrote:
I had no idea that Marco broke his leg in the second series, Tony. I am going to watch my DVD's again and see if I can notice it!

I wondered why Julian was hobbling around with his leg in plaster!

I have the complete series, recorded off the television. I must watch them again.

Does anyone else get annoyed at how every episode (70s certainly, and probably 90s as well) ends with everyone in hysterical laughter? :x
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I don't know if anybody saw Jemima Rooper in Life Line which was on TV quite recently.

She has appeared in numerous TV programmes, so there has been plenty to see of her in every sense of the word. :lol:

In the words of the mystical moonraker, if he had watched this latest programme, "What would Julian have said!" :oops:
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I always imagined Kirrin Island to be just like in the 1990's series. Never thought of it being covered in trees! Strange how we all have differnt images of things.

I imagine it a bit like the model on my avatar
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Rob, I think everyone would like to see slightly bigger pictures of your avatar. You sent me two on a Word File, so I can't really do anything with them, but I was looking at them last night and they are great. If you can attach the pics to an email and not a word file I will post them for everyone to see.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Until Ming put me right, I thought Robert's avatar was a green cat or a rabbit sleeping on a blue cushion! Once I knew what it was, it all became clear.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I originally thought it looked like the snout of a crocodile. :shock: I would like to see it from a different angle.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

moonraker wrote:Until Ming put me right, I thought Robert's avatar was a green cat or a rabbit sleeping on a blue cushion! Once I knew what it was, it all became clear.
Yeah, you have to be put right, don't you! :wink:

I would like to see bigger pictures too, then when it's all clearly perfectly seen, I needn't explain it to Nigel any more. :wink:

Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

moonraker wrote: Does anyone else get annoyed at how every episode (70s certainly, and probably 90s as well) ends with everyone in hysterical laughter? :x
Agreed, Scooby Doo style endings are the absolute pits!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

And Tintin?
Society Member