Famous Five 90s Series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Re: Famous Five 90s Series

Post by Courtenay »

I haven't seen the 1957 Five on a Treasure Island, but I sent my mum the DVD (from the Ginger Pop Shop!) as a Christmas present a few years ago and she really liked it. But maybe she's just not very picky. :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

But is she a devotee of the book?
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:As Treasure was written as books were still being written, I couldn't forgive Fanny's name change. Why change it to Margaret???? Why not call Dick, Matthew? How on earth did Enid sanction this?

I couldn't watch an Agatha Christie film where the detective was called Henry Poirot. As for Mystery to Solve, I could only stick around 20 minutes of that tosh.
Robert Houghton wrote:I found it rather Nostalgic!
All I can say to that is nostalgia ain't what it used to be!
:lol:

I do agree about the Margaret name change - unnecessary...I do wonder why Enid allowed this...or maybe she didn't know until after it was filmed! I still like it though, especially for the under water swimming scenes etc, which are well filmed IMO.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Moonraker wrote:But is she a devotee of the book?
Yes! :D Well, probably not a "devotee" as in re-reading it regularly, but she certainly loves the FF books — she's just not a complete purist (although I know for a fact that she prefers Soper's illustrations to Maxey's). :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
IceMaiden
Favourite book/series: Too many to mention! All of them!
Favourite character: George

Post by IceMaiden »

Moonraker wrote:As Treasure was written as books were still being written, I couldn't forgive Fanny's name change. Why change it to Margaret???? Why not call Dick, Matthew? How on earth did Enid sanction this?
If they had to chance it wouldn't Frances have been better and made more sense like they did in the 90's show? Margaret makes no sense at all!

I quite liked the 1957 film having seen it but there's a couple of things that niggle. George's voice is so high pitched and squeaky! She wouldn't pass for a boy once she opened her mouth :lol:. Timmy seemed utterly pointless! Not only was he far too small (even Anne could carry him easily!) to be any use, he didn't do anything. He seemed to be afraid of the boat as the children had to keep putting him in it and didn't appear like he'd be a bit of use defending the children. Nothing at all like the description of Timmy in the books. I suppose it could be argued that the 1978 Timmy wasn't either, but at least they picked a large collie who did look like he might have a chance of being up to the job!
Society Member

I'm just an old fashioned girl with an old fashioned mind
Not sophisticated, I'm the sweet and simple kind
I want an old fashioned house, with an old fashioned fence
And A̶n̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶f̶a̶s̶h̶i̶o̶n̶e̶d̶ ̶m̶i̶l̶l̶i̶o̶n̶a̶i̶r̶e̶
Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I do agree about Timmy - and also George is a little too 'developed' to pass as a boy! :shock:
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
IceMaiden

Post by IceMaiden »

I never noticed so I just looked at it again and you right, she is! :shock: The two TV shows did a pretty good job of hiding it better :lol:

I don't think any of them got Timmy really right (certainly not size wise!) but I still liked the dogs used in the part. I was lucky enough to watch a talk and demonstration by the person/company who trained the 90's dog at Crufts a couple of years back. Obviously they didn't still have that particular dog, but the ones they did have were also for TV work and they were showing how their trained to grab a handbag or 'attack' someone amongst other things. As a FF fan it felt quite surreal to be stood so close to the person who trained Timmy :D .
Society Member

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

As a child in the 1970's I always pictured Timmy as being like the TV Famous Five Timmy - a black and white 'sheep dog' type dog (I never really knew the breed at the time) and as he was depicted as similar in the 2 Famous Five annuals I had, and I never read any other Famous Fives until the mid 1990's, I was quite shocked to see Eileen Soper's interpretation. To me, Timmy was black and white! :-)
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Deej
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej »

I always had Timmy down as being a grey, shaggy type dog. It's funny how we picture things differently.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Definitely shaggy, but in my imagination he was brown and looked like Eileen Soper's Timmy.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I'm never quite sure what my mental image of Timmy looks like, there have been so many "versions" of him! But I did first encounter him as the Border collie in the 1978 TV series and was a little surprised, when I read the books, to find he wasn't black and white after all. I think my idea of him now is closest to Eileen Soper's. Enid obviously approved of Eileen's drawings, although she admitted they weren't exactly like the real dog she based Timmy on. She herself tells us "it was quite impossible to say what kind of a dog he was supposed to be" (in Five on a Treasure Island), but one thing we know for sure from the same description is that he's big and brown! :wink:
Society Member

Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Besides being big and brown he is described as mongrel. To me Timmy is as Eileen Soper depicted him. It's a pity Toddy was not the right colour but he was a good actor!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Deej
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej »

This is how Timmy is described in Five On A Treasure Island."As a dog, Timothy was far from perfect. He was the wrong shape, his head was too big,his ears were too pricked, his tail was too long and it was quite impossible to say what kind of a dog he was supposed to be. But he was such a mad, friendly, clumsy, laughable creature that every one of the children adored him at once."
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Connal from the '90s series is a bit skinnier than I would imagine Timmy to be — maybe not quite hefty enough to defend the children from villains — and of course he's grey and white, not brown. But it's certainly difficult to tell what breed (or mix of breeds) he's supposed to be, which is in line with the original description. I guess in each screen version it was a matter of finding the dog that was the best at acting the part, rather than worrying too much about what he looked like! :wink:
Society Member

IceMaiden

Post by IceMaiden »

Even though he is smaller, I think Connal is a closer match than Toddy, as he is is partly brown and it is difficult to say what mix he is, whereas Toddy is very obviously a border collie, which Timmy most definitely isn't. Timmy to me is as Eileen Soper drew him and the closest actual dog which would fit her description of very large, shaggy coated, clumsy, mad and friendly would be a labradoodle or goldendoodle. The ones with a less curly coat look very similar to the dog in Eileen's illustrations:

http://pl.b5z.net/i/u/6098122/i/100_020 ... _puppy.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://animalsbreeds.com/wp-content/upl ... odle-7.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.valleyviewdogs.com/images/la ... raja32.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These are the sort of dog I imagine Timmy to look like.
Society Member