Famous Five 90s Series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: Famous Five 90s Series

Post by Chrissie777 »

Courtenay wrote:Perhaps a cross between a Portuguese Podengo Grande (the breed Chrissie suggested) and an Irish Setter would produce the closest match to Timmy? :D
Thanks, Courtenay, I wanted to mention the breed, but couldn't think of the name of the breed from "Three Wishes" (with Patrick Swayze), but that was indeed a Portuguese Podengo Grande.
Maybe EB really had a smaller dog in mind, I don't know, but I always loved Timmy's facial expression in all Soper illustrations. He almost looks as if he smiles (and so does the dog Betty Jane in "Three Wishes").

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0114663/boa ... f_=tt_bd_6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
walter raleigh
Favourite book/series: 5 Fall Into Adventure/R Mysteries/Adventure Series
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by walter raleigh »

I'm another that prefers the '90's TV series to the '70's one. I remember being really disappointed when I first saw the original TV series as I thought it was nothing like the books I knew and loved. I didn't like the fact it was set in the modern day and unfortunately I wasn't very impressed with Michelle Gallagher's portrayal of George who was my favourite character. I also found the theme tune extremely annoying and of course Timmy looked nothing like I imagined him either.

On the other hand I loved the 90's TV series when I stumbled across it one Sunday morning. Jemima Rooper was fantastic as George and the rest of the cast were pretty decent too. The period setting really helped and although poor Marco was hindered on occasion by his broken leg, thus forcing changes, it mostly stayed faithful to the books, at least in spirit. The only black mark against it was Timmy was completely wrong.
Moonraker wrote:Yes, good point, Wolfgang. We all think we know what Tim looks like, but most of us use Eileen's image of him.
But not all of us! For me this will always be my Timmy: :D

"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I like Betty Maxey's Timmy as a nice representation of a dog, but as I've said before, I find he looks far too much like a Labrador - nothing at all like Enid's vivid description of Timmy in Five on a Treasure Island, which a couple of people have quoted earlier in the thread. I grew up with mainly Maxey-illustrated books and was disappointed right from the start that the illustrator's idea of Timmy (I hadn't seen Soper's at that stage) didn't at all match what the book said he looked like. :roll:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I must admit that I think Betty Maxey's portrayal of Timmy fits Enid Blyton's description better. Maxey's dog has a big head and long tail as described, and looks large and a touch ungainly but very loveable. And his ears are shown pricked in some illustrations. Also, I don't imagine Timmy to have a shaggy coat as drawn by Eileen Soper.

I agree that Betty Maxey's Timmy does look rather like a Labrador though, whereas a dog resembling a Red Setter (but with pricked ears) would match my image of Timmy more closely.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
walter raleigh
Favourite book/series: 5 Fall Into Adventure/R Mysteries/Adventure Series
Favourite character: George Kirrin

Post by walter raleigh »

Betty Maxey's Timmy does look to much of a pedigree dog to fit Enid's description I agree, but by the time the picture has been transmogrified by my imagination, he looks a bit more mongrely, thus becoming the perfect Timmy! :wink:
"Stuck in a state of permanent pre-pubescence like poor Julian in the Famous Five!"

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

I guess for all of us the "real Timmy" is in our own imagination - which, after all, was the case with Enid in the first place! :lol: But I would love to be able to see a picture of the real-life dog she based him on.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I've always seen Timmy as Eileen Soper's illustration. I don't think I thought of him any other way, even as a child. :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I imagine Timmy being a mixture of Eileen Soper's interpretation, and Enid's description upon introduction in Five on a Treasure Island: a sandy coloured mongrel, with long hair, a happy face and about as big as a Collie. Very similar to how he is portrayed on the front cover of the 1941 edition:
It's quite a small image, now I've cropped it, but hopefully you can make it out! :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I'm the same as Julie. Timmy will always be the way Eileen Soper drew him for me.
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Well, if she'd written the Famous Five books today and they quickly became popular, no doubt there would be a film or TV series within a few years of the first book being published - hopefully with Enid's own approval for the choice of casting, including for Timmy! :wink:

I know there were a couple of Famous Five films made for cinema in the 1950s - Five on a Treasure Island and one other - that I believe had some input from Enid herself. Has anyone seen these? What's your impression overall, and how well (or otherwise) do they portray Timmy and the children?
Society Member

Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I actually really love the 1957 serial of Five On A Treasure Island - the cast are great and I think you can tell that Enid had some input - though I don't think she had very much. The only one I'm not keen on is Anne, who doesnt fit my image of Anne at all...and maybe Gorge is slightly busty in some angles...;-) . Timmy, interestingly enough, looks pretty similar (in colouring rather than breed!) to the 1970's Famous Five.

As I've mentioned before, being brought up on the 1970's TV series of The Famous Five, I really did identify with them as being 1970's children with flares and chopper bikes, but I also enjoyed the 1990's series, which I think works better in some ways because it has a period setting. Both are great in their own way, although I always feel some of the adventures in both series are somewhat rushed in order that they fit into just one half an hour episode, or occasionally two half hours on some of the stories.

I have a full set of videos of the 1990's series, and quite a few of the 1970's series, plus the 1957 version, and all have their good and bad points!

There is actually a full version of the 1957 series on YouTube...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytTQStpxems" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Deej
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej »

I had no idea there was a 1957 series, Robert - thanks for sharing the link with us!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It was a film shown in weekly episodes, so not a series. Personally, I found it pretty dire, not helped by Aunt Fanny becoming Aunt Margaret. Who said updates are something new?
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

sorry - good point - I was really meaning it was a 'serial' rather than a series. :wink:

I agree to a certain extent about it being 'pretty dire' in some ways - but then to me none of the film or TV versions are completely satisfactory - always second-rate compared to the books, for all sorts of reasons.

What I like best about the 1957 version is that it's set in the 50's, has very plummy British accents, was made in Blyton's lifetime, and is also filmed around Dorset, using recognisable locations. As a period piece, I think it has great value, but admittedly they mess with the story with name changes (like Margaret) and also having the baddy being the village antique shop owner!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Moonraker wrote:It was a film shown in weekly episodes, so not a series. Personally, I found it pretty dire, not helped by Aunt Fanny becoming Aunt Margaret. Who said updates are something new?
Nigel, for me that film has a special meaning. It started my love for CFF movies and for movies in general (which later became my profession for many years).
It took me decades to hunt the film down, but in 1995 (32 or 33 years after I watched it for the first time on German TV), I was able to get in touch with Rank Screen Services and they made a copy for me on VHS. Very expensive, but after so many years of searching for it in vain it was worth it.
I never thought it could be considered as dire. André enjoyed it, too. We got it on DVD (with booklet) from amazon.co.uk when it was released a few years ago. In Germany it was released on DVD as well, but without the lovely booklet. The booklet introduces all actors and also mentions that EB was involved in the making of the movie with her input.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock