Where is "Kirrin Cottage"?

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Poxy

Where is "Kirrin Cottage"?

Post by Poxy »

Dear all,

I am big fan of the Famous Five TV-Series (70s) and I am going to spend some time in South-England in July and August. Of course I would like to visit some locations of the Series and a personal highlight would be a visit of Kirrin Cottage. Does anybody of you know, where this building actually is? Gary Russell once said, it is 20 minutes away from Exbury. But that`s basically all I know. Can anybody give me more details?

Thanks for any help!
André
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Welcome to the Forums, Poxy.

Gary Russell sometimes pops in so maybe he'll be able to give a few more details. Meanwhile, the following site (originally mentioned by Wouter in another thread) might be of some help. It's in German, though.

http://home.arcor.de/lgfb/ffreunde/de_a-drehort.htm

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Andya

Post by Andya »

I'm no expert (why I'm here is a long story, and having joined in order to post this message, I'll put up an intro as well) but assuming that the pictures on the German site are of the correct location, I think you'll find it's here.

It's fascinating: I live just off the top right of the map and had no idea these were the locations for the series.
regards
Andy A
Poxy

Post by Poxy »

Dear Anita and Andya,

thanks for your quick replies! I know the German Fanpage but I do not think that the Hill Top House that is pictured on this Homepage was the original "Kirrin Cottage". The windows on the roof are totally different. The windows of the Hill Top House are within the roof, the windows of "Kirrin Cottage" are half in the roof and half in the house walls. Also the entrance is different. I read that Marcus Harris was shown the Hill Top House during a Fan Convention in Germany and he said that the Hill Top House is not the "Kirrin Cottage". I might be wrong but I also believe that it must be somewher else. Anyway, I am really grateful for your help and maybe here is anyone else that has got some ideas where the building is.

Have a nice time!
André
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I see what you mean about the differences between "Kirrin Cottage" and Hilltop House, Andre (sorry, I don't know how to do accents on the computer!) Looks as if the location is yet to be identified, then!

Anita

Society Member
Andya

Post by Andya »

Okay, I gather that the location has to be somewhere around there. So, can anyone point me at a picture, since I do know the area quite well, but have never seen the series (I know, sacrilege, but...).
regards
Andy A
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

If you click on this link and scroll down a little, there's a picture of "Kirrin Cottage" on the left. Also, if you check out "Famous Five Opening Theme" on YouTube you'll see some footage of Kirrin Cottage towards the end of the theme tune.

http://home.arcor.de/lgfb/ffreunde/de_a-drehort.htm

Anita

Society Member
Andya

Post by Andya »

Sadly for my quest, now that I know the way the German site works, and having received some useful stills, I can confirm that the right hand picture on the site is indeed Hilltop Cottage as I remember it, but unfortunately there's no way it can be Kirrin Cottage. Not only are the dormer windows wrong - they could at a pinch have been rebuilt - but a check of MSLive shows no evidence of the extension at the back, and does show some mature trees that would have blocked the three-quarter shot from the intro (this is the edge of the New Forest, so mature means at least eighty years).

There's no other place in Beaulieu itself where that long shot could have been filmed, and unless I'm missing something, nowhere in Buckler's Hard either. I phoned the two landlords (of the Montagu and the Master Builder) but surprisingly neither knew anything - they're a fund of local stories back to the Knights Templar and I thought nothing had happened in the last fifty years that they didn't know someone who'd been there. :)

There are a couple of candidates further down-river, but knowing the area as I do, without more evidence I'm going to be better off cold-calling both than turning up in person. When I have more time I'll look at the MSLive pics of the Exbury area - it's quite a big building so it should stand out.

Ironically, five or six years ago I was finding locations for Rosemary Edghill's 'Met by Moonlight', not made into a film, but photographing bits that matched the book, in this same area. Le plus ca change.

regards
Andy A
regards
Andy A
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Interesting, Andy. Let us know if you find the house!

Anita

Society Member
Poxy

Post by Poxy »

Dear Andy,

Thank you very much for your efforts! Hope you will find out some more!

Have a nice weekend!
André
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

All my FF paperwork is in my London home not my Cardiff one (oooh don't I sound grand - I'm not, it's a long story) but I know I have the name of the cottage. Marcus can ever remember how to find it!

*But* it's a private home (or rather, was) up a long private drive and not visible in passing so a) they may not want visitors and b) you may actually be trespassing.

One day when I write my memoirs (when I'm 90, mad and eccentric) it'll feature a guide to FF locations (and I'll try and remember what Hilltop House was - I'm thinking Smugglers Top, but only cos of the name ringing a bell, I've not looked at the pictures)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

[Gary Russell:] One day when I write my memoirs (when I'm 90, mad and eccentric) it'll feature a guide to FF locations
Sounds good, but do we really have to wait until you're 90?! I suppose it's a bit too early to place my order with Amazon, then? :lol:

Anita

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:
[Gary Russell:] One day when I write my memoirs (when I'm 90, mad and eccentric) it'll feature a guide to FF locations
Sounds good, but do we really have to wait until you're 90?!

So what are you saying, Anita? Is he mad and eccentric already? :wink:
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Ssshhhhh!!!! Gary Russell's online!!

How old is Gary now? How many years to go until we get the memoirs?

Society Member
pinkmoon

Post by pinkmoon »

Hi there, I might be able to help with the location of Kirrin cottage.
I grew up in Exbury and my parents still live there now.

My family were used as extras in a couple of episodes and I seem to remember the film crew borrowing our dog kennel at one stage for some reason. It was either the producer or director who rented the cottage next door to our house. ( Edit: my mum now says she's not sure if it might have been for 'worzel gummidge' that next door was used :roll: )

I dont know a lot about Enid Blyton or the famous five books themselves Im afraid but came across this page while watching episodes of the series on youtube. I havnt seen them since they were first aired and its great fun recognising the Exbury locations and seeing how they have changed.
Anyway Kirrin cottage looks to me like Lower Exbury house ( Edit: was not even remotely similar :oops: was the similarity of the surrounding area that fooled me ) I may well be wrong as this was always rather out of bounds for us as kids and we didnt often venture there.

I only live a few miles away now and most weekends I visit my folks and have a walk about Exbury and its environs so I'll have a wander down there when I can and see if Im right.

Lower exbury house and farm is about a mile and a half from the village itself down a gravel road which is also a footpath that terminates a little way before you get to the house which is marked private. It overlooks the Beaulieu river and is indeed an idylic spot.

Anyway as I'll have a scout down there at some stage and maybe take a photo....not sure if I can post a photo here?
Bye for now.
Last edited by pinkmoon on 12 May 2007, 10:47, edited 2 times in total.