Where is "Kirrin Cottage"?

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Where is "Kirrin Cottage"?

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

oc435 wrote:One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Blackwater House was only ever used for external shots - none of the inside scenes were filmed there. My grandparents bought the house in 1970 and lived there until about 1992 when they sold it to the current owner, a naval architect who builds some fantastic yachts.

I spent many, many holidays there over the years, except sadly when they were filming. My brother was there though and he managed to earn the princely sum of five pounds for being an extra - both he and my grandmother were passengers on a bus in one of the episodes.
That's interesting, oc435! Welcome to the forums.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

oc435 wrote:I know this reply is a bit late, but I have only just found this thread!

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is that Blackwater House was only ever used for external shots - none of the inside scenes were filmed there. My grandparents bought the house in 1970 and lived there until about 1992 when they sold it to the current owner, a naval architect who builds some fantastic yachts.

I spent many, many holidays there over the years, except sadly when they were filming. My brother was there though and he managed to earn the princely sum of five pounds for being an extra - both he and my grandmother were passengers on a bus in one of the episodes.

For series 1, the interiors were yet another part of Exbury House, and for series 2 we used the inside of Gatewood House (which is where we actually lived). I think there are a couple of very rare times when the interior of Blackwater was used for shooting through windows to see the outside. I know Sue Best filmed inside the house for opening windows and so on, I'm not sure if the rest of us every went beyond the front or back doors for shots of us exiting the place. I certainly have no recollection of setting foot beyond the first couple of feet of the doorway.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

It's so lovely to hear all this information about the series.

I so wish that either you Gary, or Marcus or both of you could show us all around some of the locations that were used in the filming of this series. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I so wish that either you Gary, or Marcus or both of you could show us all around some of the locations that were used in the filming of this series. :D
Yes, that would be great and a fitting replacement for the E.B Society day.
Society Member
Gary Russell

Post by Gary Russell »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:It's so lovely to hear all this information about the series.

I so wish that either you Gary, or Marcus or both of you could show us all around some of the locations that were used in the filming of this series. :D

8)
Marcus, Jennifer and I did that a couple of years back for a documentary. It was weird seeing places, slightly arguing about what was done where :-) Of course our biggest "location" was the interior of Exbury House which was the interior for 90% of the show. And that is now unrecognisable because it's been redeveloped. The only place we found to still be as we recalled it was the basement under the kitchens where we always built our tunnels etc. And by now, those will have been changed too as, after years of neglect, the whole rather beautiful house is being given a makeover it desperately needs.

Exbury Village had changed (the little shop that featured in a lot of eps was completely gone). Places like Blackwater and Gatewood are private residences so we quite rightly couldn't go there. So actually other than saying "we did a lot of beach scenes here" and "we did a lot of road scenes here" and "this is where the smoke from the spook trains came out" and "this is where Nobby's circus caravans were" there's actually little to show nearly 30 years later. It'd be very anticlimactic, to be honest.
Last edited by Gary Russell on 10 May 2015, 03:13, edited 1 time in total.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Interesting posts, Gary. It's a little sad to hear that things have changed so much, though of course it's good that Exbury House is being cared for.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

I totally agree with Gary. I came to that conclusion a few years back after visiting the locations in & around Exbury. However, though, I was very fortunate to be given permission by the owners of Gatewood House to have a good nosey around their property. I took many photos of the exterior of the house, inc the private gardens round the back, but I opted not to invade their privacy & take any interior shots. I think Gary would still recognise the inside of the house, as some of the cupboards, etc, look like the original ones from 30+ years ago. I remember sending Gary several of the photos via e-mail a few years ago, but I'm not sure if he still has them. I've still got plenty of photo variations that no one else has seen & will have to suss out how to post them on the forum! :D
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Sharephoto is good Number 6. You can upload multiple pics and then post the link to them here:

http://share.pho.to/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Cheers, Pete! I'll get my Brother to sort it out for me. When it comes to computer technology, I'm about as much use as a Chocolate fire guard! :roll:
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I guess times move on, Gary, and as you say nothing much to see really now.

It would be great to see the photos number 6 when you have the time. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Will do, Julie. Gatewood is a lovely looking house, with a nice spacious garden & small copse at the bottom of it as well. It is only a five minute walk to Gatewood bridge, used as the setting for 'Go off in a caravan' in the 1978 TV Series! :D
Gary Russell

Post by Gary Russell »

I would love to own Gatewood - it really was the most beautiful place to live in and was much larger inside than it ever seemed outside. When we made the show I always said "One day when I'm a millionaire, I will buy this house". Ah well :-)
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Well, Gary, at least you know what you are working for :-)
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Gary Russell wrote:I would love to own Gatewood - it really was the most beautiful place to live in and was much larger inside than it ever seemed outside. When we made the show I always said "One day when I'm a millionaire, I will buy this house". Ah well :-)
Yes, Gatewood is quite deceiving from the outside. It was like walking into Dr Who's Tardis, So much bigger than you expect! :D The spacious rooms & deep cupboards were a delight, & the view from upstairs was really something. I thought I was very lucky to be given permission to tour round the exterior of the house, but it seemed like I was in a dream when the owner invited me indoors to show me around! She had never heard of the 1978 F5 series, but was intrigued & curious enough to find out more. Think that swung it in my favour....unless She was just in an exceptionally good mood! Either way, I was onto a winner. :D
The house is in a quiet location, within walking distance from Exbury Village/Gardens. Gatewood Bridge & Blackwell Common (the Circus camp...Off in a Caravan) are only a 5 minute walk away as well. I can understand Gary's wish to own Gatewood...it really is a dream home, in a lovely area of the New Forest! You never know, Gary,...this time next year, you'll be a millionaire! :D
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Is there a way to view this in English??

http://www.fuenffreundefanpage.at/de_folge-e.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member