1957 film serial of Five on a Treasure Island

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: 1957 film serial of Five on a Treasure Island

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Petermax wrote:My first problem when viewing the C.F.F Treasure Island for the first time was the synopsis at the beginning of each episode. Either Julian or one of the baddies would address the camera and give a complete rundown of the previous events. "Hello everyone, Julian here, do you remember me?" Quite how the child audiences back in 1957 reacted to being talked down to by a well groomed, well spoken product of the Italia Conti Stage Academy does not bear thinking about. My guess is that cinema screens all over the country would have been pelted with gob stoppers, peanuts plus a few ribald comments for good measure! Those intros were so awful that I feel it quite necessary to share one such example here.
:lol: Have to say those synopses aren't a problem for me at all. I find them entertaining for all the wrong reasons but they add to the vintage feel of the serial and are all part of the experience. My daughter and I could hardly stop laughing at them the first time we viewed Treasure Island, even rewinding the tape to see some of them a second time!

I agree about George not being sulky enough and the serial certainly has its faults and departs from the book fairly often, but I still find it rather special, especially the scenes filmed at Corfe Castle. Maybe it's just that it was filmed in the 1950s or perhaps it's something more than that - I can't quite put my finger on it.
Petermax wrote:One of the most hilarious moments in the film was where Timmy was thrown down a cliff by the villains. Despite extensive freeze framing I am unable to work out as to whether a dummy or real dog was involved. :twisted:

A memorable moment indeed! :lol:

It's a pity that more Famous Five books weren't serialised around the same time, using the same children. Unfortunately, Five Have a Mystery to Solve wasn't made until several years later.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Petermax wrote:I The brief scenes in Corfe Castle village are another unique time capsule, I wonder what purpose the bay windowed building that portrayed the antique shop serves today?

It's now Oliver's Bistro in West Street, just down the road from where my first shop was located.

The closing scenes where the Royal Navy set off in hot pursuit of a Gay Viking are filmed on Poole Quay.

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Anita Bensoussane wrote::lol: Have to say those synopses aren't a problem for me at all. I find them entertaining for all the wrong reasons but they add to the vintage feel of the serial and are all part of the experience.
Quite! :D However, I found them so irritating that I ran the entire film through my video editing PC and cut out the Julian intros. The action now flows so much more smoothly as a result. :lol:
It's a pity that more Famous Five books weren't serialised around the same time, using the same children. Unfortunately, Five Have a Mystery to Solve wasn't made until several years later.
The Adventurous Four would also have have been ideal for the Children's Film Foundation to serialise,
along with The Secret Seven.
Viv of Ginger Pop wrote:
Petermax wrote:I The brief scenes in Corfe Castle village are another unique time capsule, I wonder what purpose the bay windowed building that portrayed the antique shop serves today?
It's now Oliver's Bistro in West Street, just down the road from where my first shop was located.
The closing scenes where the Royal Navy set off in hot pursuit of a Gay Viking are filmed on Poole Quay.
Thanks Viv, I shall have to look out for Oliver's next time I am in Corfe Castle. Poole Quay was a surprise location, I assumed that the Gay Viking quayside scenes were filmed at Devonport.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Petermax wrote:I found them so irritating that I ran the entire film through my video editing PC and cut out the Julian intros.
Sacrilege! :wink:

I agree that The Adventurous Four and The Secret Seven would have made smashing serials, as would some of the "Adventure" books. In an editorial in Enid Blyton's Magazine in the 1950s, Enid Blyton writes that a film of one of the "Adventure" books is in the pipeline. Sadly, it must have got stuck in the pipe as it remained nothing but a pipe dream!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

An excellent review Petermax. That clip is quite interesting. Like Anita I think it has a certain value nowadays as a reminder of how things were done in that era and the scene certainly has a very warm nostalgic feel to it, its exactly how I have always imagined 1950's Britain to be. I can see however that it would become annoying when one is trying to get into a film. Sadly I still haven't managed to see that film, I'm sure my appetite will be whetted once again when I see its sequel on the 1st of August.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Petermax wrote: Quite! :D However, I found them so irritating that I ran the entire film through my video editing PC and cut out the Julian intros. The action now flows so much more smoothly as a result. :lol:
How that made me laugh! Well done Petermax; only I went one stage further, and edited out everything that irritated me in the film. I now just have the opening and closing credits. What a pity it wasn't Julian who was hurled over the cliff! I should think that that film put more kids off reading Blyton than the whole of the educational/library establishment of the time!
Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Moonraker wrote:What a pity it wasn't Julian who was hurled over the cliff!

I would not quite go that far, although I may well see if I can do a slow motion version of Timmy's descent from the cliff, that would be fun! In the meantime I shall fetch my editing scissors and excommunicate H.M.S Gay Viking from the film! :wink:

It is rather sad that the bulk of the output from the Children's Film Foundation is not available apart from Treasure Island and a few titles released on DVD a few years ago. Perhaps in the future archived films will be digitised and made available to all as downloads or streaming content. This would be at a price though, and the long and laborious process of actually unearthing all those cans of film, cleaning and transferring to digital format does not bear thinking about.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I actually quite like the film, mostly for the 1950's settings and the 'real life' locations. i think the way the shots of Corfe castle are edited to look like it's on an island are very well done. Its a time capsule, and that's my main reasons for being glad I have a copy.

I'm not too keen on the alterations made to the original book, but then that has happened with every Famous Five ever filmed anyway to some extent!

The Children's Film Foundadtion made some pretty dire films anyway, in my opinion. I remember being taken as on a school 'treat' to our local cinema at the end of summer term to watch CFF films, and usually being bored to tears by most of them. They were those typical 'made for children' films which entertained the adults far more than the kids they were intended for! :lol:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Robert Houghton wrote:I actually quite like the film, mostly for the 1950's settings and the 'real life' locations. i think the way the shots of Corfe castle are edited to look like it's on an island are very well done. Its a time capsule, and that's my main reasons for being glad I have a copy.
For all its faults, Treasure Island is a very prized possession of mine, finding this very rare tape was for me one of the highlights of the E.B Day.
The Children's Film Foundation made some pretty dire films anyway, in my opinion.
Some used to hit the mark more than others. Nevertheless, I enjoyed the whole Saturday Morning Pictures experience immensely. My local cinema, the now demolished Embassy in Fareham really used to pull out all the stops to entertain the young audiences. Before the film started we had raffles with Osmond albums as prizes and also singalongs. For some strange reason we always sang the Chelsea Football Club song, a very strange thing to do in a town where allegiance was to Portsmouth Football Club. (Pompey) C.F.F films were also shown at my junior school where we had an after school film club. How I loved to watch my nemesis, the Deputy Head struggling to master a 16mm projector! :lol:
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Petermax wrote:Nevertheless, I enjoyed the whole Saturday Morning Pictures experience immensely.
That is one experience that sadly, I missed. I didn't particularly enjoy the company of kids en masse
when I was young; I much preferred to be in the company of adults. In fact, my second best-friend was an 85 year old lady. The older I have got, the more I like kids! As Ming - and my 15 year-old niece - tells me, I must be pretty weird!

Following on from my t-i-c comments on the CFF film, I was very fortunate in that Norman Wright gave me a copy of the film, made from his VHS original. I am forever grateful, Norman!
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Moonraker wrote:
Following on from my t-i-c comments on the CFF film, I was very fortunate in that Norman Wright gave me a copy of the film, made from his VHS original. I am forever grateful, Norman!
Lucky you, I've never seen this film. You could loan it out, Nigel. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:
Moonraker wrote:
Lucky you, I've never seen this film. You could loan it out, Nigel. :D

8)
Mrs Beeton wrote: Neither a lender nor a borrower be.
:D
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Moonraker wrote:
Mrs Beeton wrote: Neither a lender nor a borrower be.
:D

What a lovely polite way of saying, " s*d off!!!!" :lol: :wink:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Moonraker wrote:
Petermax wrote:Nevertheless, I enjoyed the whole Saturday Morning Pictures experience immensely.
That is one experience that sadly, I missed. I didn't particularly enjoy the company of kids en masse
when I was young; I much preferred to be in the company of adults. In fact, my second best-friend was an 85 year old lady. The older I have got, the more I like kids! As Ming - and my 15 year-old niece - tells me, I must be pretty weird!

Im just the same, and always hated pantomimes for the same reason, but now I love them! 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Robert Houghton wrote: Im just the same, and always hated pantomimes for the same reason, but now I love them! 8)
Especially when that wretched screen came down, and you had to sing a stupid song. How cringey!
Society Member