Famous Five '78 series Memorabilia - UPDATED 130507 Page 3

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Billy Farmer

Re: Famous Five '78 series Memorabilia - UPDATED 130507 Page

Post by Billy Farmer »

number 6 wrote:Here you go, Billy. A photo of the Black ink lined drawing of the Three Horseshoes pub in Laleham, which is on the front of the postcard. Today, the pub still looks the same from the outside, but the inside is unrecognisable to when I used to visit! More for diners than drinkers. I prefer it as it once was. :D

Thank you, number 6, an excellent drawing of the Three Horseshoes Pub, last night, I was looking at the website, for the Three Horseshoes Pub - http://threehorseshoeslaleham.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I also like the photograph, of the Pub, from 1983.
Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

You're welcome, Billy. Thanks for the link. As I said in my last post, the interior is totally unrecognisable from when I used to drink there after work in the early 80's. I did pop in just for a quick pint en-route home in 2004. This was the first time I'd visited the pub in 18 years! The interior was completely different to the 80's. Then it was modernised again to what you see today! :D
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Gary Russell wrote:I'd forgotten I'm guesting at a DW convention in mid-May next year, so that's the work. Jennifer is fine, she and her hubby are living and teaching down in Sussex still and both her boys are now living in London so she travels up a bit more than before. She never changes. Marcus and I reckon she has a portrait in her attic...

I was also talking to Sue Best the other day - her daughter owns a popular restaurant in Sydney I'm going to visit next month - and she sends her regards to all FF fans too.
That sounds great, Gary! I don't know how true it is, but they say the American DW fans are more fanatical than us Brits are..or is this just that we are a bit more reserved than them?! :D

It's nice to know Jennifer & her family are doing well. I'm quite chuffed that she hasn't change over the years.
Awww..Always wondered what had happen to the lovely Sue Best! She seemed to have disappeared after the F5 series. On my behalf, & other F5 fans, would you please pass on our best wishes to Sue & Jennifer the next time you encounter them.
PS- The restaurant in Sydney sounds wonderful. Hope you enjoy your visit! :D
Last edited by number 6 on 22 Dec 2016, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Yes I certainly am, thanks for posting it, number 6. Great to hear that Jennifer and family are ok. I would struggle to make the original date chosen for Exbury so would be interested in any proposed alternative. At first I thought that she had drawn the picture herself.
Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

You're welcome, Jack. Yes, an alternative date may be better for a lot of formites/Society members who would struggle to get to Exbury in May. As I've stated in other posts, public transport links to Exbury are none existent from Sept to June. It would be good to meet up with as many folk as possible. :D

It would've been nice if Jennifer had drawn the picture on the postcard. That would be a unique piece of memorabilia, for sure! Her Father had quite a few printed & kept them stacked up behind the bar!I think the person responsible did sign his/her name in the bottom right hand corner of the picture. I'll go & dig it out of the attic again later & have a look. :D
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Well, yes- it would be interesting to see what else she/he had drawn or painted- seems like there was a real talent there. Thanks again.
Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Cheers Jack. I'll see what I can find out about the person who drew the picture on the postcard! :D
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

number 6 wrote:You're welcome, Jack. Yes, an alternative date may be better for a lot of formites/Society members who would struggle to get to Exbury in May. As I've stated in other posts, public transport links to Exbury are none existent from Sept to June. It would be good to meet up with as many folk as possible. :D
Just so y'all know, July-Sept looks like I'm back in Aus for a few months, so late June early July may be a good time to think about getting to "FFland" if you need me there. Which frankly you probably don't. But if it were in June or early July, I'd do my best to get there.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Thanks for getting back to us, Gary.

Maybe we should all now start to make a new thread of the meeting and chose a date suitable for all.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Thanks for letting us know about your availability, Gary! Of course we want you there! It would be fab having you share your stories regarding the making of the F5 series & other little snippets of the locations, etc! :D

I agree with you, Julie. Do you want to kick start the thread? I can make it down to Exbury anytime in June & July, so I'll be happy with any date we choose. Late June might be good for those wishing to get to Exbury by the New Forest tour bus, as this service begins around June 29th every year! :D
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

It will be interesting to see how many say they want to go, then they all gradually drop out until there are only three people going!!! that's what always seems to happen.

Fingers crossed it doesnt this time! :roll:
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

That's true, Rob! That happens more often than not. Hopefully, though, the end of June/early July might be convenient for a lot of formites. We shall have to wait & see! :D
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Hope it all works out - although I probably won't be there, its good to hear how these meet-ups turn out! :-D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I'm quite happy for you to start the thread, number 6, on the hopeful get together at Exbury Gardens. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Ok, Julie, I'll start a thread soon. I was going to propose Saturday 1st July or Sat 8th July for the meet up. Seems sensible, as Public transport to Exbury will be up & running by then. I'll put it to Gary Russell to see if any of the two dates will be convenient for him, too. It would enhance the meet up if Gary could make it, as his insight into the making of the series/stories, etc, would be most entertaining! :D
However, the proposed dates are only a suggestion & I wouldn't object to the meet up being towards the end of June if it is convenient for everyone else who wants to attend. :D
Last edited by number 6 on 24 Jan 2017, 22:37, edited 2 times in total.