Famous Five '78 series Memorabilia - UPDATED 130507 Page 3

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Famous Five '78 series Memorabilia - UPDATED 130507 Page

Post by Rob Houghton »

I have a set myself, but not in half as good condition as this one you've bought - congratulations on a good find!

I also have the other card games - and all are good! :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

The set, cost me £5.79, luckily there were no other bidders.

Currently, up for auction, on eBay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Famous-Five-W ... SwU-pXrJBV" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have now got two copies of the above single.
Society Member
Billy Farmer

Post by Billy Farmer »

Has anyone else seen the following YouTube Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K4Bcp6vePw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

No, I've not seen the video, but I've seen the interview a few times before. Never seen the photo at the end of the video either. That's totally new to me! Wonder if Gary Russell can remember where & when the photo was taken, etc. Thanks for posting it, Billy! :D
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

In Germany they published several audio records/cassettes using excerpts from the '78 series. I finally got record number 3 which seems to be quite rare.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

The interview is in the dvd boxset. I have seen the photo, possibly on the Jenny Thanisch Yahoo group. The group has been taken over by spammers and (if it still exists) should be treated with caution.
Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Thanks Jack. The spammers exist, as I still get vile stuff in my junk mail. The spam had increased dramatically during the school hols, which suggests it's those of a school/college age that have nothing more to do with their time! When I was that age I was out all hours of the day enjoying myself with my friends. It seems that most kids of Today just ain't got the energy, or imagination, to get out & do something else other than playing on their computers/i-phones! Sad people. :roll:
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Billy Farmer wrote:Has anyone else seen the following YouTube Video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K4Bcp6vePw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
PHOTO UPDATE:- Tweeted Gary Russell regarding the photo at the end of the vid in the link. Gary informed me that the photo was taken on the South Bank in London in 1980, which was the last time he saw Michelle. The press wanted to do a piece on "Where are they now?", but he can't recall the paper responsible. Gary also told me that he has the only original copy of the photo & the one in the vid had probably been lifted from his Facebook page!
Gary has an excellent memory, which is why I try to ask for his input whenever I've got a query regarding the 1978 FF TV Series. This is what I like about Gary. He's a very down to earth chap, who is always willing to chat about the series. Ive met him a few times at the EBS days & he was always very pleasant, enthusiastic & willing to spend a lot of time chatting/answering questions, etc. Wish more celebs were like him! (A few Brownie points picked up there!) :D
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

The you tube feature is in the DVD's package which I have and also it shows where the filming took place then and now.

Interesting to hear about the photo at the end though, number 6. As you say, Gary is a lovely down to earth person and took time to meet many of us at the EB day which I attended too. :)

Let's keep our fingers crossed that if we meet up at Exbury Gardens next May, Gary could join us too. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

You're welcome, number 6. The Daily Mail was the paper (I think I read this in an article by Gary Russell!) :lol: Interesting to find out where and when it was taken as this wasn't stated. I understand that they choose not to run the article.
Society Member
number 6

Post by number 6 »

As I recall, there was supposed to be a TV "Where are they now?"appearance by Gary, Jennifer, Marcus & Michelle but this was also scrapped. I may be wrong, but I'm sure I read it somewhere. Ive probably been daydreaming again..as usual! :roll:
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:Interesting to hear about the photo at the end though, number 6. As you say, Gary is a lovely down to earth person and took time to meet many of us at the EB day which I attended too. :)

Let's keep our fingers crossed that if we meet up at Exbury Gardens next May, Gary could join us too. :)

8)
Absolutely, Julie. Did Gary recently post on the forum that he was putting the date in his diary? It'll be great if he could make it down to Exbury & give us an insight into the F5 series locations. I know the area well & have visited the locations more times than a little, but it'll be a lot more interesting with a running commentary from Gary!! 8)

Interesting to know if I ever met/spoke to you during past EBS days. I can remember having a quick chat with Eddie, Moonraker & a few others, but my memory of those days have faded a little. I know Zoe (George Kirrin) quite well & ive spoke at length with Anita whilst we both walked back to Twyford train station. :D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Yes, I remember having a lovely chat about the 1970s Famous Five TV series, badgers, books, etc. :D I miss those brilliant days at Twyford. Wonderful memories!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Yes, I remember having a lovely chat about the 1970s Famous Five TV series, badgers, books, etc. :D
The Famous Five had badgers as well?? :wink: :wink:

Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

number 6 wrote:Absolutely, Julie. Did Gary recently post on the forum that he was putting the date in his diary? It'll be great if he could make it down to Exbury & give us an insight into the F5 series locations.
Interesting to know if I ever met/spoke to you during past EBS days.
Yes, he did say he was putting the date of 13th May into his diary, number 6. So fingers crossed.
If I knew what you looked like, number 6, I would know if I've spoken with you. I'm not so good on names! :lol: :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member