TV locations for the Famous Five series

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Re: TV locations for the Famous Five series

Post by number 6 »

Pic looking over the heathland from the Pig Bush Car Park towards Partridge Bush copse (in the distance). The scene where Julian discovers the old railway tracks (near PB) & one of the riding scenes where Henry takes Julian, Dick & Anne horse riding were shot here for the Mystery Moor episode. The other one was shot close to Decoy Pond Farm.
In the far right corner is Beaulieu road Copse Car Park & the drive that leads to DPF. :D

Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Wolfgang wrote:I think Sönke mentioned some things in this thread:
http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... =22&t=3834
I actually was never much interested where things were filmed as long as it looked okay. The bonus-material of the DVDs provide information about the whereabouts of the locations.
Wolfgang, filming locations are one of my particular interests when it comes to movies (that's why I wanted to see Mespelbrunn Castle).
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
privateer2001
Favourite character: George

Post by privateer2001 »

What was Mespelbrunn Castle from, Chrissie? Was it in a Famous Five book or in the 78 series?
privateer2001

Post by privateer2001 »

I found an interesting little bit of writing on the Famous Five series from Canada. It probably doesn't contain anything most of you don't know, but there might be something, such as the Finnish band who sung the song, I think. https://www.cs.mcgill.ca/~rwest/wikispe ... s%2529.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I'll save this article, I think.

I was also wondering if any of you might have some idea of where to procure the badges from the 78 FF series? And also, how does one go about joining the Enid Blyton Society to receive the book every year? Thanks. have a great day, all!
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

privateer2001 wrote:What was Mespelbrunn Castle from, Chrissie? Was it in a Famous Five book or in the 78 series?
Privateer2001, it's a German castle which was used in a famous German movie from ca. 1959 called "The Inn in the Spessart Woods" (Das Wirtshaus im Spessart).
We met Wolfgang at Mespelbrunn in October 2015 on our long trip through Germany. That's why I mentioned it as an example for my interest for filming locations.
But it's not related to FF. Sorry.
I'm a big movie buff and try to visit movie locations on each of our trips to Europe if possible.

Here are pics of Mespelbrunn Castle:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Mespelb ... 39&bih=601" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

privateer2001 wrote:...how does one go about joining the Enid Blyton Society to receive the book every year? Thanks. have a great day, all!
It's actually not a book, it's a magazine called Enid Blyton Society Journal and it gets sent to all society members 3 times a year in March, July and November. Each journal has about 84 pages and is loaded with the most interesting articles on the FF, Adventure series (my favorite Enid Blytion series), R series and incredible illustrations etc. Many society members contribute articles for this journal and Tony Summerfield, the publisher of the journal and the man who created this beautiful website some 13 years ago, dedicates a lot of his time and love and effort into making these precious journals.
In order to receive the journals and to read the continuation stories, you need to subscribe and become a society member.
Click on the top right on "Society Website" and there you should find it when you scroll a bit down.
Good luck!

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/fireside-journal.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can also purchase some of the older issues and one of the members (I forgot who it was) has created an index, so that you can see in which EBS Journals there are articles with pics on the 1970's FF TV series.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

privateer2001 wrote:And also, how does one go about joining the Enid Blyton Society to receive the book every year? Thanks. have a great day, all!
The following link should take you to where you may order the Journal. The third paragraph down should guide you to the relevant place.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/fireside-journal.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
privateer2001

Post by privateer2001 »

Thanks everyone for the comeback. :) Appreciate it.
number 6

Post by number 6 »

Another view of the bridge over the ford, where Ally's Mum crosses in the 'Five get into a fix' episode. It is on the opposite banking that the Five first encounter her. Roydon Manor (old Towers) is out of shot & is situated a few hundred yards to the right of the bridge. :D

privateer2001

Post by privateer2001 »

Thanks for the shot, number6. I'll have to look up this episode tonight and find it. Is this all private land now, or open to the public? And when did you go there? I'll probably find it by looking up Roydon Manor, maybe? Have a great rest of the day!
number 6

Post by number 6 »

This bridge is accessible via public bridle ways & footpaths, privateer. It is best approached from either Brockenhurst or from Setley, which is a few miles further South. Either way, it is a pleasant walk. Roydon Manor is within private grounds, but it is easily viewed from the bridge area. Roydon is highlighted in yellow on the map below. You can see where the Bridleway crosses the ford (stream) via the bridge. Google the area & you're sure to find it. :D

jpg to img
petejt
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five

Post by petejt »

Thanks very much for the updates! I will update the summary list in my post soon.
petejt
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five

Post by petejt »

Gary Russell wrote:/Users/garyrussell/Desktop/DWAO5zRXcAADUCu.jpg

Anyone got any idea where/what location this was?

EDIT: Oh well, that's a bit crap, I can't make the picture show up!
Hey there Gary, you could try visiting the Tinypic website to host the picture.
It has easy instructions too.

http://tinypic.com/index.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
number 6

Post by number 6 »

This site (link below) is quite good for uploading pics to forums & easy, too. Just press the blue download box & your photo album comes up. All instructions are easy. Select the pic you want, resize it (600 pix) copy the link & upload. Paste it on to the forums. Straight forward! :D

https://imgbb.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by number 6 on 05 Mar 2018, 16:59, edited 1 time in total.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thanks for the link, Number 6. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member