World War II Poem

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
Tony Summerfield

World War II Poem

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I had a letter this morning asking for my help in tracing a poem - 'The poem is about the things that children had to do without during World War II.'

The questioner said that she read the poem a few years ago in Warwick Toy Museum. I can't help, but perhaps it rings a bell with someone else?

Tony
Fatty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Little Bets

Re: World War II Poem

Post by Fatty »

Tony Summerfield wrote:I had a letter this morning asking for my help in tracing a poem - 'The poem is about the things that children had to do without during World War II.'
I can't help with that one, but I remember reading a WW2 song that was meant to encourage people to contribute scrap metal for the war effort.

The Salvage Song

My saucepans have been surrendered,
The teapot's gone from the hob,
The colander's leaving the cabbage,
For a totally different job.

So now when I hear on the wireless
Of Hurricanes showing their mettle,
I see in a vision before me,
A Dornier chased by my kettle.

I feel that's a poem worthy of old Fatty!

====================
PS: The following anthology might have the poem you're looking for: Poems of the Second World War; Editor-in-chief, Victor Selwyn... [et al.]; Publisher: London : Dent in association with the Salamander Oasis Trust (1985); ISBN 0460014323.

There's also More Poems of the Second World War (1989) from the same publisher [ISBN 0460130013]
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Would it be this one, written by Enid for The Daily mail annual, which she also edited? :

There's no ice-cream for you to eat,
No sugar biscuits, crisp and sweet,
No quivering jelly, all a shake,
Not a single creamy cake,
No holidays upon the sands,
No donkey-rides, no jolly bands,
No gay balloons to toss about-
so many things you've gone without:
No easter eggs, exciting, gay,
No crackers for your Christmas Day,
Oranges? Well, just a few,
But no bananas all year through.
No thrilling toys, no birthday treats,
Not much chocolate, too few sweets!
We grown-ups think we've lots to bear,
But, boys and girls, you've done your share!

(Enid Blyton, Daily Mail annual for Girls and Boys,Daily Mail, 1944)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Poem

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Sounds like it Rob, there can't be many others like that - many thanks, you have saved me trawling through endless books!! And also many thanks to Fatty for the suggestion.

Best wishes to you both
Tony
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re:

Post by pete9012S »

Robert Houghton wrote:Would it be this one, written by Enid for The Daily mail annual, which she also edited? :

There's no ice-cream for you to eat,
No sugar biscuits, crisp and sweet,
No quivering jelly, all a shake,
Not a single creamy cake,
No holidays upon the sands,
No donkey-rides, no jolly bands,
No gay balloons to toss about-
so many things you've gone without:
No easter eggs, exciting, gay,
No crackers for your Christmas Day,
Oranges? Well, just a few,
But no bananas all year through.
No thrilling toys, no birthday treats,
Not much chocolate, too few sweets!
We grown-ups think we've lots to bear,
But, boys and girls, you've done your share!

(Enid Blyton, Daily Mail annual for Girls and Boys,Daily Mail, 1944)
I found this poem, in which Enid addresses and acknowledges the austerity and hardships faced by children during the war years interesting when contrasted with the food and happy times included in her work published in the same year 1944...

Books published in 1944

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... value=1944" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In just one title,Five Run Away Together,we find that food is available to the children in an emergency ...

"The thing is—can we possibly find food enough for so long? Even if we entirely empty the larder I doubt if that would be enough for a week or so. We all seem such hungry people, somehow."
"Julian," said George, suddenly remembering something, "I know what we'll do! Mother has a store-cupboard in her room. She keeps dozens and dozens of tins of food there, in case we ever get snowed up in the winter, and can't go to the village. That has happened once or twice you know. And I know where Mother keeps the key! Can't we open the cupboard and get out some tins?"
"Of course!" said Julian, delighted. "I know Aunt Fanny wouldn't mind. And anyway, we can make a list of what we take and replace them for her, if she does mind. It will be my birthday soon, and I am sure to get money then."
"Where's the key?" whispered Dick.
"Let's-go into Mother's room, and I'll show you where she keeps it," said George. "I only hope she hasn't" taken it with her."
But George's mother had felt far too ill when she left home to think of cupboard keys. George fumbled at the back of a drawer in the dressing-table and brought out two or three keys tied together with thin string. She fitted first one and then another into a cupboard set in the wall. The second one opened the door.
Julian shone his torch into the cupboard. It was filled with tins of food of all kinds, neatly arranged on the shelves.
"Golly!" said Dick, his eyes gleaming. "Soup—tins of meat—tins of fruit—tinned milk—sardines—tinned butter—biscuits—tinned vegetables! There's everything we want here!"
"Yes," said Julian, pleased. "It's fine. We'll take all we can carry. Is there a sack or two anywhere about, George, do you know?"
Soon the tins were quietly packed into two sacks. The cupboard door was shut and locked again. The children stole to their own rooms once more.
"Well, that's the biggest problem solved—food," said Julian. "We'll raid the larder too, and take what bread there is—and cake.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member