Two children get sucked into a colouring book

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
JAMES146

Two children get sucked into a colouring book

Post by JAMES146 »

I remember reading this short story a long time ago.

Two children (boy and girl) are looking at a picture book or a colouring book. They suddenly find themselves insnde the book people's world - three dimentional beings in a two dimensional world. I'm a little hazy about the details, but one scene I remenmber is a boy grabbing a handful of two dimensional chocolates from a box, whixh the 3D children are unable to do. The story ends with the children becoming unwelcome in their new world - for one reason because they wouldn't eat the chocolates when they were offered - and realising that they could escape because the 2D people were only made of paper and so could be blown away.

Is it one of Enid Blytons? If not does anyone recognise it?

TIA

J
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Two children get sucked into a colouring book

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Welcome, James. You might be thinking of 'The Little Paper-Folk', which was in Chimney Corner Stories and one or two other collections:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/sear ... paper+folk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jimmy and Susan cut out pictures of people and objects,including a box of chocolates, from old magazines. The children then shrink until they're the same size as the paper-folk, which they've propped up on a big window-sill in the nursery, and the cut-out people come to life and are quite menacing. A great story, surreal and chilling.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
JAMES146

Re: Two children get sucked into a colouring book

Post by JAMES146 »

Thanks. That certainly sounds promising. I'll check it out in the library.

J