Looking for a compilation book of stories

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
Tony Summerfield

Re: Looking for a compilation book of stories

Post by Tony Summerfield »

MummyRivett wrote:Anita

I'm very excited, I've found the illustrator and prints from the book. I have no idea what the book is called by it is definitely the illustrations.

http://img0.etsystatic.com/011/0/717282 ... 8_rpny.jpg
http://img0.etsystatic.com/009/0/717282 ... 0_3fmf.jpg
http://img1.etsystatic.com/010/0/717282 ... 5_mrbh.jpg
http://img0.etsystatic.com/009/0/717282 ... 8_du96.jpg
http://img0.etsystatic.com/005/0/717282 ... 6_omyo.jpg

The Illustrator is Willy Schermele

I've been searching for 20 years and now I'm a little close. I remember all those pictures but does anyone know what the book is called. I would really love to get hold of it.

Thank you all

Leanne
x
The five pictures that you have posted here all originally come from My Enid Blyton Story Book, Leanne. The first four are from the story, 'The China Rabbit', and the last one which is only partially shown as it is a large full page illustration is from 'The Brownie's Spectacles' although I am not sure what it is doing there as it actually comes from another story which is not even in this book, 'Uncle Nat's Christmas Tree'!
MummyRivett
Favourite book/series: The Land of Far Beyond / Faith
Favourite character: Content and Gladness

Post by MummyRivett »

Hello Tony

I seem to have found 3 books which contain illustrations by Willy Shermele these are:

My Enid Bltyon Story Book
The Good Morning Book
Enid Blyton's Gift Book

I have also found two other books:

Big Story Book
Tell me a Tale Book

These two books are also Illustrated by Willy Shermele.

As I recognise all the illustrations from all three books, I believe that the book I had as a child was a compliation of all three books. I remember it being thick and the size of an annual, the book was dusky blue with group of characters with a dragon on the left hand side (a bit like the reluctant dragon) the front cover did not match the illustrator inside, so that's where I've been confused. I believe the book to have been published by either Dean or Purnell. I was born in 1976, it was brought new for me and I remember having stories read to me when my brother was born in 1979 so I would guess that the book was a late 1970's reprint.

As I've mentioned before, I've been searching over 20 years for a copy of this book. I finally feel I'm getting somewhere. I love the books I've purchased, but I'm still going to carry on searching for the version that I had.

I am so grateful for all the help the society and this forum has been. in less than a week you have all been a part of a wonderful part of recapturing my childhood.

Leanne
x
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Tony Summerfield wrote:Fortunately my artwork has got a golliwog in it, so it wasn't taken by Seven Stories for their exhibition.

They also left this Grace Lodge artwork with me for the same reason. The original is also hanging on my wall.
Glorious composition and colours, and so full of action. I'm lucky enough to have set eyes on the original - it really is a joy to behold.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Am I alone in thinking it's hideous? It looks like a scene from a horror story. And to think that people don't think golliwogs look like black people! Just check out the fellow with the guitar - it's what nightmares are made of! :wink:
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Moonraker wrote:Am I alone in thinking it's hideous? It looks like a scene from a horror story. And to think that people don't think golliwogs look like black people! Just check out the fellow with the guitar - it's what nightmares are made of! :wink:
The two humans are both minstrels - surely you haven't forgotten what the Black and White Minstrels were like. They were very popular at the time this illustration was painted.
Tony Summerfield

MummyRivett wrote:Hello Tony

I seem to have found 3 books which contain illustrations by Willy Shermele these are:

My Enid Bltyon Story Book
The Good Morning Book
Enid Blyton's Gift Book

I have also found two other books:

Big Story Book
Tell me a Tale Book

These two books are also Illustrated by Willy Shermele.

Leanne
x
Willy Schermelé only illustrated the two books for Enid, Leanne. <i>Enid Blyton's Gift Book</i> was simply a combination of the first two books, which were in fact just using the stories from the original Good Morning Book. Any further books using his illustrations just reprinted the illustrations from those first two books.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

My 8 year old saw that picture. She said 'oh look, some Gollies, and some clowns'. Interesting to hear a child's perception of the drawing.

I think the masks are quite sinister actually, but the little gollies are adorable. Especially the one at the front in the white swimsuit. I want to pick it out of the picture and cuddle it.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

The humans are clowns - Black and White Minstrels in clown costumes. I think they're wearing blackface make-up, not masks, and one of them has a false nose, hence the elastic round his face. Some people do find clowns alarming or creepy and I believe they feature in some horror films, but I love the way the colours of these clowns' coats and trousers pick up the tones of the sea and sky. The whole picture is harmonious and full of movement. The golliwogs are toys come to life, much smaller than the humans, and they're engaged in all sorts of seaside activities - adorable! If I could be one of the gollies, I'd be the one at the bottom right with the massive ice-cream! Does the picture relate to a particular story, I wonder, or is it just a summery scene to add colour to a jolly annual packed with goodies?

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I don't think that the colour plates in any of the Holiday books are attached to a story. This one comes from the 'Ninth' and all the plates from that book are shown in the Cave.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book ... liday+Book" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote: The two humans are both minstrels - surely you haven't forgotten what the Black and White Minstrels were like.
Well, that further illustrates my point! They look like giant golliwogs! Yes, I remember the B&W Minstrel Show, I could never see what all the fuss was about and why it was banned.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks for the link to the colour plates, Tony. It's a while since I last looked at them and they really are stunning.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Yes, some delightful illustrations there, Tony. Still not sure about the minstrels though!
Society Member
MummyRivett
Favourite book/series: The Land of Far Beyond / Faith
Favourite character: Content and Gladness

Post by MummyRivett »

So seven years on with hope in my heart I’ve always had my eye out for the original version of the book I had as a child with the Willy Shermele illustrations. Yes I have the stories, but it has been bugging me for years as I knew the version I had was something to do with night time tales. Again, it was distinct blue cover with a dragon on the front.

By accident I found it. I thought I’d post here as I think is a version that is not listed in the Society archives

The book is called Twilight Tales and also has a companion called Sunnyside Stories and are both variations with different titles

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CfWoovgNyQEXi6ai9
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z9ojeooKk6PuBkBAA
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

That's marvellous MummyRivett!

So glad you finally found the book - it's a great feeling isn't when you finally track a treasured book down again.
I thought I would try and get myself a copy of the book.

Regards (and well done!)

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Well done on finally managing to track down the book you were after.

I have the Sunnyside Stories book (I think). I shall have to keep an eye out for its companion.
Society Member