Can anyone remember this short story?

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
cjherrington

Can anyone remember this short story?

Post by cjherrington »

Hi everyone!

There is a short story from my childhood which for the life of me I can't remember the name of!

It''s about a pixie (I think) that needed a present for his friend who was unlucky - He collected 365 falling leaves (because if you catch a falling leaf you will have good luck for a day) and gave it to her for a present, so that she would have good luck for a whole year.

Does this ring a bell for anyone? One of my close friends has had a really bad year and thought this would be a great present for her.

Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Can anyone remember this short story?

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Welcome to the forums. Enid Blyton might possibly have written more than one story on that theme. The one I recall involves a boy rather than a pixie so it's probably not the one you're looking for, but I thought I'd mention it just in case. It's 'The Lovely Present' from Enid Blyton's Book of the Year. People bring presents to try to put a smile on the face of sad little Princess Peronel, who has been ill. Nothing works until a small boy brings her "A year of happy days" in the form of three hundred and sixty-five autumn leaves which he caught before they touched the ground. He scatters the leaves over her and she smiles. Enid Blyton finishes, "Wasn't it a good idea? Have you caught any happy days this autumn? (Act this story with real leaves.)"
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Can anyone remember this short story?

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I've just remembered another story which might be the one you're looking for - 'Funny-One's Present'. It can be found in these books. Mother Kindly has always been good to everyone, but she has had a hard life and has never known a whole year of happiness. Funny-One gives her a year of good luck by catching three hundred and sixty-five autumn leaves for her.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member