Original Three Golliwogs Text

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
compo

Original Three Golliwogs Text

Post by compo »

I'm a student and seriously can't afford any of the asking prices for "original Text version book" of the Three Golliwogs.
I would however like to read it as part of my current studies.
To that end does anybody have or know where I could get a copy of the text itself. Perhaps as a PDF or Word document?
Or is there somewhere online I could read it?
Thanks
Jules
Moonraker

Re: Original Three Golliwogs Text

Post by Moonraker »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/The-Three-Gol ... 4ac8946676" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member
compo

Post by compo »

Thanks, But that's the 1969 Deans version where the names and some of the text have been changed.
I think I'm looking for anything up to the 5th? edition, around 1950 something (so I'm told).
I have seen one or two on eBay but they are around £50+ each?
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

That Dean version still has the original text and they are still called Golly, Woggie and Nigger.
compo

Post by compo »

Tony Summerfield wrote:That Dean version still has the original text and they are still called Golly, Woggie and Nigger.
Thanks for that.
I had read elswhere (probably Wikipedia or something like that?) that some of the text had been either changed or edited earlier than the 1968 / 69 + Deans editions?
Do you know exactly when any of the changes of names or dilutions of the original text took place?
This could be quite important for my studies!
...and I'm now off to eBay to buy one of the £3 books?
Thanks again Tony!
compo

Post by compo »

Tony Summerfield wrote:That Dean version still has the original text and they are still called Golly, Woggie and Nigger.
??? Just had a couple of replies from messages to eBay members informing me that their 1968/69 books list the Gollies names as "Wiggie, Waggie & Wollie" ???
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

It is always best to check with the seller first and you have done the sensible thing. I don't believe the changes were made until the 1970s, but Dean did tend to leave the same dates in their books. I actually checked my Dean edition first before I posted, so it is possible to find a Dean edition which has not been changed from the original in any way.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Compo, I don't know whether this will help in your search for the original text, but I've just checked my copy of the book which has the names Wiggie, Waggie and Wollie.

Inside it is says 'this edition 1969'. The D/W on the back lists other books in the series, the last being The Adventures of Mr. Pinkwhistle. So if you are looking for a Dean copy, I would guess you need one of the very earliest ones that would have been issued with a D/W, and that has less than 24 titles listed on the back.
Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

My copy was published by Dean in 1968 and has the original names.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

As does mine.
Society Member