1962 Sunny Stories

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

1962 Sunny Stories

Post by Poppy »

Hello everyone,
I've been sorting through my bookshelves the last few days, on which there is about 200 books on each, except the bottom one on which there is about 70 big omnibuses, and when searching through the middle shelf, yesterday, I came across a Sunny Stories annual, which has always made me feel a little puzzled. There is no author on the book cover, and no date or year, but there is a sticker inside, and apparently the book was a reward to someone or other, given to them in July 1962. My grandad gave me this book, as soon as I finished reading The Folk of the Faraway Tree, I think he said he had he had bought it when my mum was little and he had took her to a secondhand shop.
Anyway, I have looked in the cave, and I cannot seem to find the annual there, nor in a google image search.
I am started to wonder if it is an Enid Blyton annual, and how common they are? I hope someone here can answer my questions! :D Here is a description of the book:

It has a red spine, and part of the front cover is red, on which is written in yellow letters: Sunny Stories annual. The picture is set in a forest, and in the background there are four teddy bears wearing bows having a picnic, and in the centre is six fairies, four girls, two boys, dancing about on the path...
Last edited by Poppy on 05 Apr 2013, 14:44, edited 2 times in total.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Loony the Dog
Favourite book/series: Book:The Boy next Door Series:Mystery or Adventure
Favourite character: Loony, Jack (Arnold), Kiki, Fatty, Bill, and Timmy

Re: 1962 Sunny Stories

Post by Loony the Dog »

Sunny Stories ended in 1954 and Enid started up her own magazine, Enid Blyton Magazine. I don't think your annual is Enid Blyton, but it sounds lovely anyway. :)
In came the Taggertys. They were clean, except Biddy knees looked like she had been crawling half a mile in some muddy place.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Thanks for that Loony the Dog, when I glanced through the annual, none of the stories really jumped out at me as being Enid Blyton - I didn't recognise any of them, anyway. So did other authors carry on with Sunny Stories then? Or is it a complete coincidence?
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Enid Blyton left Sunny Stories in 1953, but the magazine continued without her. It did change to a larger format with a coloured cover and at this time it was edited by Malcolm Saville. It was in this period that several Sunny Stories Annuals were published, so the answer to your question is that the annuals were certainly connected to the magazine, but after Enid Blyton had left it.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Thanks for that, Tony. So this is definatley not an Enid Blyton Sunny Stories annual.
It certainly looks like one, but when reading it, it really doesn't resemble Enid's work at all.

Am I right in thinking, though, that Enid Blyton did create Sunny Stories? It was not just a magazine, she wrote for?
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Right from Issue 1 in 1926, when it was called Sunny Stories for Little Folks, Enid Blyton wrote everything in the magazine except the adverts.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member