Sycamore key story

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
kj100

Sycamore key story

Post by kj100 »

Hi! I have a wonderful memory of a story from my childhood, of children who find a little man (pixie / brownie / elf possibly!) in the woods who make the most wonderful toys and uses sycamore leaves to wind them up. The children get to choose one to take home and I think they choose something made out of pine cones that when wound up does something. Very vague I know but I would just love to read this story again and read it to my little boys! If anyone can help at all I would be so very grateful!
PS It is not the sycamore key story of the clockwork mouse in Enid Blyton's Bok of the Year but a longer one the gist of which is above. Many thanks!
Katharine

Re: Sycamore key story

Post by Katharine »

I think there's a story like that in one of the holiday annuals, or possibly something like Round The Year, or The Book of the Year. Sorry I can't be more precised, but I'm fairly sure I've read that story or one like it in one of those books.

Maybe you could check out those books in The Cave and see if something rings a bell? It may well have been repeated in a newer collection of stories.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

There may be more than one story along those lines, but one possibility is 'The Little Toy-Maker'. George and Fanny share their picnic with a little man who has dropped his. He takes them to his home through a small door in the side of the hill and shows them clockwork toys he has made from acorns, chestnuts, pine-cones, etc. They are wound up by ash and sycamore keys. The children set them going, and then they each get to choose a toy to take home. You can find that story in the following books:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/sear ... +toy-maker" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
kj100

Post by kj100 »

Anita That's it!!! Thank you so so much! Now to find a copy! Can't wait to read it again - my little boys will love it!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm glad that's the right story, kj.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member