Can anyone please help identify this story?

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
suedehead

Can anyone please help identify this story?

Post by suedehead »

Hello,
Sorry if this post appears elsewhere on the forums - I got a bit confused!
I am trying to find a book I had as a child that was one of my favourites.
It got lost in a house move in 1977 when I was 16 but I'd love to find it again.
I hadn't read it for a good few years even then so memory is really hazy now, but I THINK it was by Enid Blyton.
I seem to remember that it included a jetty (so presumably also a boat) and a train station called JUNIPER.
One sentence I seem to think went "THEY RACED OFF TOWARDS JUNIPER".
It was a really lovely story for a child, filled with really great imagery.
Anyway, thanks to anyone who reads this and thanks for all help.
Cheers and Regards,
Chris
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Re: Can anyone please help identify this story?

Post by Poppy »

Hello and well come to the forums Suedehead!
I am not sure what this story could be, I don't think I have read it before. It sounds quite Blytonish! Was it a novel or a short story?

Poppy .
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
suedehead

Post by suedehead »

Hi Poppy,
Thank you for your message, and sorry for the delay in replying!
I think it may have been part of a collection of stories, maybe in an annual or something.
I'm almost sure it was Noddy but not absolutely certain.
I remember being almost transported to these strange lands by the wonderful writing and I think there may have been some sort of illustrations as well - the jetty part of the story seems to bring a picture to my mind, although that could have been in my own young imagination.
Maybe someone else might remember something.
Thanks and Regards
Chris
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Hi again!
I don't think it could be a Noddy story because the station in Toyland is not called Juniper, but maybe they are not in Toyland in that scene... As Enid wrote hundreds of short stories, and you cannot remember much about this one that you want to find, it might be very difficult to find but maybe Anita or Tony could give you some imformation.

Poppy.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm afraid "Juniper" doesn't ring any bells - except that I've now got the Donovan song 'Jennifer Juniper' going round in my head! :)

Quite a few colourful Enid Blyton annuals for young children were produced in the 1960s-70s, eg. the Bedtime Annuals, and they contained stories involving boats, trains, toys, children, fairies, animals, etc. Perhaps you're thinking of one of those, Chris?:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/sear ... ime+annual" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Maureen1954
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: All of the Famous Five

Post by Maureen1954 »

Hi Suedehead!!
Welcome to the forums!! It wouldnt be called Juniper Junction by any chance?? Someone on Facebook when I searched for you mentioned they had a book in 1968.
It is a story of how the Stationmaster was almost undone by a king, a mouse and a clock??? It is now an animated movie.
If it isnt can you remember any more details or persons names in the book or what the cover looks like??

Cheers & gingerbeers

Maureen
Famous Five Forever!!!
suedehead

Post by suedehead »

Hi Maureen,
Thanks for your reply. I've just looked at some excerpts of "Juniper Junction" on YouTube, and it looks really good but I'm still not sure if it's the one.
None of the names seem familiar (but then again, I can't remember any of the character names anyway - but I thought some bells might have rung!)
I suppose it's such a long time ago, (I would have been 7 or 8 maybe) and it may even have been in a childrens Christmas annual of some sort or another.
We have a lovely old antique/curio shop here and the owner has some really nice old childrens annuals from the 50's through to the 70's and I've looked a lot at the covers to see if anything connected but without actually standing and going through every one I don't think I'll have much luck.
If the web had been available to me when I was a bit younger I really think I could have remembered more but my 50 odd year old brain is letting me down a bit now.
Anyway, thank you for replying and take care,
Regards
Chris