The Faraway Tree series

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
aliceB

The Faraway Tree series

Post by aliceB »

Hi guys,
I am searching for hard cover copies of the Faraway books, but I want the original version with the names Dick and Fanny etc. They are for a first birthday present. I haven't been able to find anything so far, and am hoping someone may have a suggestion for me?
Thanks a lot!
Alice
aminmec
Favourite book/series: Family at RedRoofs , Five go down to the sea
Favourite character: Amelia Jane , Bumpy Dog .

Re: The Faraway Tree series

Post by aminmec »

Hi alice,
I feel the vintage Dean editions have the best covers and nice illustrations by Rene Cloke.They also released 3 in ones in Hardbound in the early 90s .You would have to search the auction sites for copies .
Although the vintage Deans have Dick and Fanny ,I am not sure if they are "original versions" as If I am not wrong there was Gollywog in the first book which I dont remember seeing in the Dean vintage versions .
Last edited by aminmec on 04 Aug 2012, 01:01, edited 1 time in total.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Welcome, Alice.

The Dean & Son versions of the 1970s and early 1980s had golliwogs, but they may have been removed from later printings.

I'd avoid the 3-books-in-one-volume editions because in at least some of those the middle book (The Magic Faraway Tree) has been heavily abridged.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

Idearly love The Faraway Series too.The Enchanted Wood--The Magic Faraway Tree.--The Faraway Tree Again-,The Folk Of The Faraway Tree.----I adore the various people they meet in the tree---Moonface Silky, The Saucepan ManDame Wash a lot and so many others ---the various lands they visit on top of the tree.Its really lovely.Iwish my life had been like that.
deepeabee
Favourite book/series: The one I'm reading....
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville.

Post by deepeabee »

The Faraway Tree is in the BBCs list of 100 best reads. :)
SwatIsaid!

Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

In ''The Enchanted Wood''--- the trees go wisha--washa,---as if whispering secrets to each other.Mr. Whatsizname is really a funny character---and the others are such dear people---I'm glad I know them all.Enid Blyton was born when a magical breeze was blowing. :wink: ::