Book about girl whose father built a dam

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Book about girl whose father built a dam

Post by Chrissie777 »

I would be very glad if I could get some help with a book search, too.
All I know is that it was no Blyton book.
I tried the Youth Books Library in Munich (Schloss Blutenburg), but to no avail.
Tried some other websites and somebody suggested Berte Bratt, but her books have no plot description on amazon.de, so I couldn't find it there.

The short plot that I remember:
It's about a girl who's engineer father has to leave her for many weeks/months in order to build a dam either far away or in another country.
That's all I remember.

I did borrow this book from the school library in Friedrichshafen, Germany, between 1963 and 1964. It was an old book when I read it, so it must have been published in the fifties maybe.
Of course I already contacted that school 2 years ago twice, but never received an answer from them.

As I'm not sure if it was by a German or British or American author, there might be a chance that somebody from EBS recognizes the book and could give me a tip.
So far I found every book that I loved when I was a child, except this one.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
bzjane

Re: Book about girl whose father built a dam

Post by bzjane »

Hi Chrissie, It,s a long shot but I wonder if you are thinking of the "Susan" books by Jane Shaw. I think they were published in the 50s and early 60s. They were about a Scottish girl called Susan (can,t remember her surname). Her parents go to Africa to build a dam or bridge and she goes to stay with her cousins the Carmichaels in a village in/near London (may have been called Wychwood). Her cousins are Charlotte, Midge and Bill and their father is a doctor. There is also an Aunt Lucy as the children's mother is dead. Susan is well meaning and tries to "rescue" people. I loved these books they were very enjoyable and funny. :D
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Hi bzjane,

Thanks for your tip. Even though the Jane Shaw books seem all to be published after 1962 (I read the book in question around 1963 and it was rather old at that point), I found a few of her books that I will order at amazon.co.uk. Especially the "Breton Adventure" sounds very promising!
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

The first "Susan" book was printed in 1952. They are a really good read if you enjoy books which make you laugh out loud!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Then it could very well be the book that I read in German. When I checked them on amazon.co.uk yesterday, they were all from 1962 and after. That's why I was a bit skeptical.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock