Please help!

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
shollada

Please help!

Post by shollada »

Hi there,

I am really hoping someone can help me. I am looking for a Enid Blyton book. It's a collection of stories... the stories that I remember to be in this book is Caravan Family and The Buttercup Family. The other stories I can't remember.. I think maybe one about elves or something??
I'm sorry I don't remember much, it's a book I read when I was young. I also remember reading about a girl named Elizabeth and about her grandmother too in the book. I remember the grandma saying to her "a penny for your thoughts" or something like that.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you for reading.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Please help!

Post by Fiona1986 »

Both The Caravan Family and The Buttercup Farm Family appeared in separate Little Dots Playways Annuals, in addition to being published as books in their own right, but I don't know of any books which contained them both. They are the first and fifth books in a series, so even if there were an omnibus of the series, they'd be unlikely to be in the same one. There's no entry in the cave of books on this site that has these two titles in one volume.

As for girls called Elizabeth, you've got Elizabeth Allen from The Naughtiest Girl series, though I don't recall her grandmother making an appearance. She does have a mother and a governess though. There's also Elizabeth (Lizzie) Farrel from House-At-The-Corner, but again, no grandmother, though there is an old aunt that comes to stay.

Might you be confusing several books?
Last edited by Fiona1986 on 30 May 2012, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
shollada

Post by shollada »

Thanks for your reply! The thing is, I have not read any of Enid Blyton's book other than the one I am looking for, so I'm pretty sure I'm not getting them all confused. I remember reading about it in that one book that I really loved. he words 'Elizabeth', 'caravan' and 'buttercup family' gives me a little bit of that feeling I had when I was reading it. I am pretty sure they were in that book. I wish I could remember more details. It was quite thick... thats all I can remember for now :(
shollada

Post by shollada »

I have just googled "elizabeth" "a penny for your thoughts" and it is from "House at the corner"!
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Glad you figured it out! I'm pretty sure there's no mention of caravans or buttercups in that book though :lol:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
shollada

Post by shollada »

I found it!!! :D

The last book on the list
http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... =10&t=3109" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I think 'penny for your thoughts' is said by Great Aunt Grace to Lizzie (Elizabeth) in House at the Corner, so she was a grandmother type figure.

I have an omnibus edition of the Caravan Family stories, which contains all the stories about the children Mike, Belinda and Ann. It is quite a thick book, with a dust wrapper, it's red in colour and is about 10 years old.
Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

So that's two books that don't appear in the cave, my world is shaken :shock:

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
shollada

Post by shollada »

I just ordered a copy from Amazon, I'm so excited! I can't wait to read it to my daughter :D

Just wanted to say a quick thank you to Fiona aswell. Because you mentioned Lizzie Farrell, that rang another bell. So made me try typing in all the names plus 'house at the corner' and that's what made me find it! Before that I had completely given up searching because I had been looking for aggges but I was typing in 'elizabeth' and 'grandma' lool. Thank you! I am super excited right now, i think it will bring back such good feelings when I was reading it as child. :)
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Fiona1986 wrote:So that's two books that don't appear in the cave, my world is shaken :shock:
I have never bothered about these individual omnibus books for the Cave as there are so many of them and I am not sure what section I would put them under. However, if a publisher issues a series of omnibus books I have tried to include and for want of anything better they can be found in 'Recreation Books'.
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

You're welcome. I like a good mystery!

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
BookWorm19
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five / Gallianos Circus

Post by BookWorm19 »

I remember these stories! I had a thick book and it had 3 stories in it, i remember it was a heavy hardback and the front cover was bright red :o

They were the Caravan family
where the family found 2 caravans and lived in them for a year

then i think there was the Queen Elizabeth family (probably where your getting the name Elizabeth from) where the family left their caravans and went on a year or sixth month round the world cruise.

Then i seem to remember one where they lived on a barge on a canal, and the youngest child learned how to swim
i'm not too sure about that one though, i could be thinking of a completely different book with that one :lol:
maybe it was called saucy jane? :shock: i know thats in the famous five but i think Enid also used the same name for the boat in this book
BookWorm19
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five / Gallianos Circus

Post by BookWorm19 »

House at the corner is not the one im talking about though8|
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

The six books including Saucy Jane family are listed in the Cave of Books.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Betsy-May
Favourite book/series: Willow Farm / Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen

Post by Betsy-May »

I have a copy of "The Family Collection" published in 2002 by Dean. It is an omnibus of all the "family" stories and contains:
The Caravan Family
The Saucy Jane Family
The Pole Star Family
The Seaside Family
The Queen Elizabeth Family
The Buttercup Farm Family

It is shown in the Cave of Books under recreation :)