Gary Russell

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
wildnfree
Favourite book/series: All Famous Five
Favourite character: Anne

Gary Russell

Post by wildnfree »

Does anyone know what's happened to Gary's book about his time working on the 70s Famous Five TV series? It was meant to be published in September but then disappeared and I've heard nothing about it since. Looked a great book. :roll:
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Gary Russell

Post by Fiona1986 »

As far as I am aware it is still being worked on, though there is no expected date for it to be released. Those who pre-ordered a copy have been offered a refund. There is a lot of discussion about it in the thread titled something like 'Blatant Plug Time...Apologies' started by Gary himself.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Here's a link to the thread Fiona mentioned:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... ant#p66916" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
zaidi
Favourite book/series: FamousFive
Favourite character: Nick and Julian

Post by zaidi »

Gail Renard who i think was character in Famous Five her book's been published aren't you telling the wrong name?
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

zaidi wrote:Gail Renard who i think was character in Famous Five her book's been published aren't you telling the wrong name?
Actually Gary Russell had advertised his books, you can follow the discussion by the link Anita provided.
I also had preordered it and got a refund without even asking for it, so the name is right.
Gail Renard was responsible for at least some of the scripts for the 78/79TV series, so I'm not sure you could call her a character in the Famous Five Show :-).
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
lwindrush
Favourite book/series: Famous five of course!
Favourite character: Dick, he is so me

Post by lwindrush »

Really looking forward to Gary's book I've always been fascinated about the FF tv series, how it was made and the actors involved, It was a great part of my childhood and so fondly remembered.
number 6
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George/Jo

Post by number 6 »

Unfortunately, You won't see Gary's book out in the near future. I think he's actually very busy at the moment, so the book is probably on the back burner for now. Give him time and it will be written!! :D
lwindrush
Favourite book/series: Famous five of course!
Favourite character: Dick, he is so me

Post by lwindrush »

I've waited 34 years for them to be released on DVD so I will be patient for the book.
hlweathers

Post by hlweathers »

Hello all

I ordered and paid for Gary Russell's book about the Famous Five THREE YEARS AGO. I still have the Paypal receipt. Hirst Publishing ignore my emails and now the site has this message:

This website is now closed while I address the outstanding issues and restructure the business. Please accept my apologies. A new email address will appear here shortly.

Is anybody in touch with Gary Russell to ask for his opinion on this? I've found him on Facebook but don't seem to be able to send him a message. I know he used to have a website but I can't find it anymore using Google. I'd love to read Gary's book if he ever writes it but I do feel I've been ripped off.

Helen
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I think he posted on the forums a couple of days ago, so maybe you could try sending him a PM?
Society Member
Zar Quon

Post by Zar Quon »

He posts over at Roobarbs sometimes too.
hlweathers wrote: I'd love to read Gary's book if he ever writes it but I do feel I've been ripped off.
You're not the only one, from what I've read about it Hirst Books did a lot of people over. In fact there's a thread about it over at Roobarbs IIRC.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

You could try sending Gary a PM, then when he signs on he'll be able to read it.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Katharine's already suggested that, old thing.... :roll:
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

In any case, this has been done to the death. Most of us have had refunds, it's a bit late to raise the issue now. I really think that it is time to lay this particular ghost to rest. I am sure that if the book comes to fruition, Gary will let us know. I for one would love to read it.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Moonraker wrote:Katharine's already suggested that, old thing.... :roll:
Obviously great minds think alike. :D
Society Member