Missing Story

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
tix

Missing Story

Post by tix »

I have reprinted a request (which was stimulated by an earlier entreaty in 2004) from "EB Friends" because, to date, I haven't received an answer.

Although there are lots of very knowledgeable contributors to "EB Friends" I think I may have a better chance here - The Official Base of All That Is Enid Blyton, which would probably host more Experts on the Subject than could be found anywhere else in the world. Making a conservative estimate and bearing in mind the incredible status of the author this wonderfully tailored website would probably get about a million hits a day which means there'd be several possibilities a visitor owns a copy of the book in question.

In case you are wondering - I have asked the resident Sage - Mr Summerfield (and who better to ask?) because he is not only involved intimately with this actual site but he also edits a prestigious journal about the author. Unfortunately, he too has drawn a blank and it"˜s not surprising because there are thousands of Blyton stories in old magazines, books, and compilations, etc - many of which have not been seen for years.

Here is a copy of the "EB Friends" request:

"I have been hunting for a story that I read many years ago and my
interest was re-stimulated by a message in "The EB Appreciation
List"(now defunct) on June 17th, 2004 (Message No. 692 from Gareth).

Here is the entry:

Quote:

<Hi Guys,

I remember when I was 8 or 9 I used to read the Far Away Tree and
other Great Enid Blyton books.

There was one book in particular which was filled with a collection
of different stories. One story in particular was about a boy who
had a sister and for some reason he was captured by an evil fairy (i
think). The fairy said that he would only let the boy go if he could
devise a task for the fairy that the fairy could not do. He had
three chances.

The boy asked the fairy to build a huge castle, which the fairy did.
Then on the third effort, the boy asked his sister to devise the
task and she pulled out a piece of her hair and asked the fairy to
straighten her piece of hair. The fairy could not do it and the boy
was released.

Details are obviously sketchy because it has been such a long time
since I read the book, but I would like to know the name of the book
so that I may buy it.

Thanks guys.>

Unquote.

SO ...... I would like to know if anyone in the Cast of Thousands
out there has a copy of a rather obscure little book entitled
"Let's Have a Story." I have an inkling that the tale may be in there.

I managed to dig one up but Murphy's Law stated that it
wouldn't be that easy. It wasn't! Every Blue Moon a book is
printed the wrong way ... and this one naturally had to be. My copy
was entitled "Let's have a Story." When I opened it up it was
called "We want a Story." Apart from the two titles, the first tale
on the contents page is "The Boy with a Thousand Wishes." Turning
over, the initial story turns out to be "The Boy who Lost Things."
Four pages of that are about "The boy with a Thousand Wishes" then it
returns to "The Boy who Lost Things" and the result is that the last
two or so essential pages of "The Boy with a Thousand Wishes" are
not there ..... so near and yet so far! After all these years of
searching for the answer and on the brink of revelation this had to
happen! My copy is an Australian one, but the original book was
published round the 1948 mark and to complicate things there is a
sister book entitled "We Want a Story."

The tale in question is "The Boy with a Thousand Wishes."

Briefly the kid who was called Gordon was given a wish by a green-
eyed brownie whom perhaps he had rescued or something (the first page
of the story is missing) so he asked that he might have a wish
granted every hour (it is NOT "The Boy who was too Clever" -
A Second Book of Naughty Children). Later on when he tried out his
new power a "Wish Gnome" appeared and Gordon found that his request
had been taken literally meaning that he had to make a wish every
hour, even when he was in bed! Gordon got sick of this but was told
that if he didn't make wishes at the appointed times he'd be whisked
away to become the gnome's slave. The only way he could free himself
was to ask the gnome to do something that he couldn't.

If the story is the right one, Gordon asked him to do all kinds of
things - even to create a castle which appeared in the twinkling of
an eye on a nearby hill. The clincher came when he challenged the
gnome to straighten a hair-curl. The gnome tried and tried (he even
ironed it) but failed and so Gordon was released from the threat.

If there is anyone who has the book could they enlighten me (and
Gareth if he is still around) as to whether the above story is the
right one. Failing that, the only other way seems to be that I could
email a seller on the "Abe Books" site to let me know ... just as a
special favour!

Many thanks"
Tony Summerfield

Gareth's Story

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I remember being asked the question about Gareth's story - and no, it didn't ring any bells, but I certainly have a copy of 'Let's Have a Story' and I can confirm that your summary of The Boy With a Thousand Wishes is correct apart from the ending.

The wish that stumped the gnome was to turn a kettle of boiling water into ice - impossible he said and when Gordon refused to ask an easier wish the gnome said he would vanish forever - which he promptly did.

So I guess you are still looking as this doesn't sound anything like the story in Gareth's question - apart from wishing up a castle.

Best wishes
Tony
tix

Post by tix »

Thank you very much Tony for adding an important jigsaw-piece to the interpretation of a memory. Now that you have mentioned it I well-remember the proffered task of turning boiling water into ice and I also recall as a child thinking that anyone who is magic shouldn't find that difficult at all (unless, like a "square circle" the trick was to create "iced boiling water"). Likewise, I thought that any magician worth his salt should be able to straighten a bit of curly hair but that's beside the point.

Confusion can often be caused by Enid Blyton's duplication of plots. Children wanting to stay up late is reflected in the old magazine-stories and also in diverse books - "We don't want to go to Bed" (Tales of Toyland and Other Stories _ Dean & Son), "The Boy who wouldn't go to Bed" (Rainy Day Stories _Evans) and even extends to "We'll Stay up all Night" (Enid Blyton's Annual_Daily Express) ... and on it goes. As we all know - many of the plots are basically the same so I'm fairly sure "The Boy with a Thousand Wishes" would be in that category.

All I can remember is the child trying to stump the magic imp or whatever it was and suddenly looking at his sister's hair, grabbing some scissors and cutting off either a single strand or a lock, and demanding the "Impossible." How close that is to what actually happened could be anyone's guess.

As the "Castle Creation" is included in the story quoted, it can be eliminated from the "Curly Hair Straightening" tale ..... "Castle and Boiling Water" in one, "Uncurled Hair" in the other and all that remains is to find the yarn that involved the latter. The question is: Who's going to produce it?
Anita Bensoussane

The Tenth Task

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Hi,

The Enid Blyton Book of Fairies (my copy is a Dean & Son Ltd edition) contains a story called The Tenth Task - A Story of Zani, the Wicked Spirit. Zani takes a boy named Jack as his slave and refuses to let him go unless he can come up with a task that is too difficult for the spirit to perform. Jack has ten chances and asks the spirit to do all kinds of things, including building a great palace. The spirit does the first nine tasks easily but is defeated by the tenth, which is to straighten a piece of curly hair taken from the head of Jack's sister, Jean.

There is a similar episode in The Enid Blyton Book of Brownies. In the Land of Clever People, the three brownies challenge the Very Wise Man to straighten a piece of curly hair and, when he fails to do it, they are allowed to leave the land. Earlier, they also asked him to build a castle, which he managed to do easily.

Best wishes,
Anita
tix

Straightening the curly hair

Post by tix »

There you are you see .... within a day of my posting a query on this site I received an answer. I expected the story in question to feature in some "Faraway and Long Ago" compendium but, instead, it was buried amongst the pages of an oft-mentioned and very popular collection of stories. How come I hadn't found it? I thought that it must be at least twenty years since I last read "The Enid Blyton Book of Brownies" and "The Enid Blyton Book of Fairies" so that might explain it ; but as I always go through any book that I buy before filing it away and as the particular copies I pulled out arrived as recently as March, 1994 and September,1997 I might have to put it down to a terrible memory. Even more curiously, I actually went through both books when I was searching. I just went through the contents of The Book of Fairies and did not see any relevant title but I remember looking specifically at "Their Adventure in the Land of Clever People" (Book of Brownies) because I knew that Clever People have to be challenged. Unfortunately I looked at the very end of it which involved the Wise Man being asked a couple of riddles and not being able to answer them. If only I'd known that the part-answer to my question was one or two pages back!! Another contender and a strong one at that, was Rubbalong's battle with Big Brows the Enchanter (Rubbalong Tales_1950) when he was setting hopefully-impossible tasks for the unwelcome visitor to perform.

The Enid Blyton Message Boards are strewn with an infinite number of queries and a very healthy amount of ensuing answers have the Anita Bensoussane signature at the bottom (examples below) so I thank this lady with the encyclopaedic mind for her response to my long-suppressed question.

<<<missing Enid blyton Short stories book help!!
Posted by jadzia
April 16, 2004, at 21:00:11
Hello there. I don't know if anyone can help me but we have in the last few months moved from Uk to Portugal and of course in the move "slimmed down" down tons of stuff inc. books!! i have just come to read my daughter one of my favourite Blyton compilations and discovered that the book I thought I had kept is indeed another collection by her called Tales after Supper and doesn't include my favourite short. This particular story is of a girl on the beach who doesn't like this little dog who wants to be friends and every day she is horrible to it until it saves her and they are friends. I think the other stories include one about a horrid little boy who has to do odd jobs for a"mean" man but he is really teaching him a lesson! does this collection ring any bells with any Blyton fans out there - it may be called More tales after supper but I really don't know. any help would be greatfully received - this was a book i kept faithfully from my own childhood and now after all these years has gone!!!

Re: missing Enid blyton Short stories book help!!
Posted by Anita Bensoussane on April 19, 2004, at 22:11:41

Hi,
The problem with collections of Enid Blyton's short stories is that the same stories often appear again and again in different compilations. Tales of Toyland (the Dean & Son Ltd version) also contains The Girl Who Was Afraid of Dogs and Mr. Put-em-Right, though the first half of this book is all about Tiptoe the fairy-doll and Jolly the sailor-doll, who go to live in a little house in Toyland. Just thought I'd mention it, just in case.

Date: Thu May 20, 2004
Hi Anita
Is the Yellow Story Book also published as 'the Queer Adventure'? If
so, its not really a Faraway Tree adventure, as the tree just plays
a cameo, its only purpose being to allow the children entry into
the 'Land of Stupids' from where they start their adventure.
Perhaps that is why you find it weaker, because i definitely found
it thrilling as a child. Maybe i wont enjoy it now.
Shaggy

Date: Thu May 20, 2004 7:21am
Hi,
Yes, Shagufta, you're right about the Faraway Tree only appearing briefly in
The Yellow Fairy Book, which was indeed first published as The Queer
Adventure. I only discovered this book as an adult, about four years ago,
and was disappointed by it because I had expected the Faraway Tree and
related characters to play a much more important part (The cover of my Red
Fox paperback edition advertises it as "A Faraway Tree Story.")
Best wishes,
Anita

Tale of Lanky Panky
Posted by lydia
June 22, 2004, at 21:23:12
Hello,
I am desperate to get a copy of The tale of lanky panky, which was my favourite story as a child - I know it was in a compilation with other stories like the firework goblins - but have had no joy finding it.
If anyone knows any good sources I would be incredibly grateful!
I would love to revisit Lanky...
Many thanks!

Re: Tale of Lanky Panky
Posted by Anita Bensoussane on June 23, 2004, at 22:32:30

Hi Lydia,
The Tale of Lanky-Panky appears in Fairyland Stories (Purnell Sunshine Library, 1971). I don't remember anything about firework goblins in that book, but other stories include Silly-One and the Jewels, The Rub-Away Flannel, Bicycle Magic and Big-Hands and Nobbly.>>>

If EB thought of what she considered a novel idea she liked to milk it a little by inserting the same interlude into other stories and the extra reference to an un-curlable curl in "The Book of Brownies" (page 80_Newnes) fully illustrates this. I don't know what it is that made the strand of hair stick in my mind but that"˜s what happens at times (and it also stuck in Gareth"˜s mind and if he hasn"˜t seen the answer he's probably still searching .... turning over stones and feeling inside tree-trunks). The investigation into long forgotten stories and associated passages supplies us with much entertainment and it is fortunate that there is always someone out there amongst the millions who can satisfy the inquisitiveness which is part of our make-up. Over the years forgotten memories (does that make sense?) will return again and again and this is similar to the recurring-tune syndrome. I was haunted for eons by a song that I kept humming but which I couldn't place and finally, having had enough, I set off to track it down. I ran it to earth and then wondered why it had been so pervasive because it wasn't a landmark ditty and it did not represent any great moment in my life ("The Love Machine" from the Elvis movie - Easy Come, Easy Go). Many times and certainly in my case we can be utterly confused when endeavouring to pin-point a particular story.

"Thirteen O'Clock" was one of those exciting adventures that is representative of the Unforgettable - maybe because of its Witching Hour connections.

<<<help
November 06, 2003, at 20:25:01
I have been looking now for a few years for an Enid Blyton book I read as a very small child.I can remember it was nearly annual size,red and possibly called The Enchanted Wood or Sunny Stories.It contained about a dozen short stories including Thirteen O`Clock.Can anybody help with the correct title or details of a bibliography of her books and their individual contents Thanks in advance ----Kevin>>>

As there are so many various-sized books containing the short stories, the "annual size, red" might represent one or other of the Holiday-type books that may have become a fixation but he did get the Sunny Stories part right. (My fixation re the Curly hair was that it resided in one of the short-story volumes similar to the Bedside Books or perhaps the Colour books - Green, Red, Blue, Yellow Story Books). "Thirteen O`Clock" was reprinted in "Enid Blyton's Sunny Story Book" and I speculate as to whether the enquirer received satisfaction.

I wonder if the elderly lady mentioned below received an answer to her query from times past. It would be nice if she had.

<<<Sad tree story - can you help?
December 17, 2003, at 18:54:01
I hope someone can help me on this one. I am looking for a story written by E.B. - was published in Sunny Stories - some time between 1949 and 1956. It was about a tree that was about to be chopped down - and it did not have the heart to tell the animal friends - so it sent them away. It would make my mother in law (now 87) very happy to find out what it was called - so I could get a copy. Many thanks, Ann>>>

It's good to be able to fall back on someone's intimate knowledge as a last resort and I'm sure there will be many more visitors who will present their queries to the forums and have them answered by those "Out There."

Many thanks again to Anita Bensoussane.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Lost Stories

Cheers, Tiq!

I too have rediscovered one or two half-forgotten childhood books (non-Blyton) via message boards on the Internet, so I know the excitement of identifying a long-lost story. For years I kept thinking about a book I had as a child, which contained nursery-rhymes, fairy-tales and excerpts from children's classics. All I could remember was that it was a huge volume, gloriously illustrated, with a brown cover featuring characters from books. To my delight, I found out the title on a message board last year - The Illustrated Treasury of Children's Literature edited by Margaret E. Martignoni - and was able to buy a copy. Sheer joy! It was the next best thing to climbing the Faraway Tree and visiting the Land of Bygone Books!

Anita
lizzie farrel

Re: Straightening the curly hair

Post by lizzie farrel »

[The Enid Blyton Message Boards are strewn with an infinite number of queries and a very healthy amount of ensuing answers have the Anita Bensoussane signature at the bottom (examples below) so I thank this lady with the encyclopaedic mind for her response to my long-suppressed question.

Re: Tale of Lanky Panky
Posted by Anita Bensoussane on June 23, 2004, at 22:32:30

Hi Lydia,
The Tale of Lanky-Panky appears in Fairyland Stories (Purnell Sunshine Library, 1971). I don't remember anything about firework goblins in that book, but other stories include Silly-One and the Jewels, The Rub-Away Flannel, Bicycle Magic and Big-Hands and Nobbly.>>>

Hi Anita
Thank you so much for this post, it helped me track down some short stories i had been searching for since a long time.
Thanks to you i spent a lovely evening reading about Lanky Panky, Billy and the Brownie, The little shaving brushes, the bubbles that dont burst and lots of my childhood favourites

cheers
shagufta
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Glad you had a lovely evening, Shagufta. Hope you had a big jug of iced lemonade by your side! Those Purnell Sunshine Library books contain some of my best-loved Blyton stories.

Anita
Tony Summerfield

Purnell

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I am sure that you both know it already, but the stories in the Purnell Sunshine Library were all taken from the Sampson Low Holiday books, so if you are looking for a particular story just check it out there in the Book Listing.

Best wishes
Tony