Suggest E-Books For The Faraway Tree Series

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Re: Suggest E-Books For The Faraway Tree Series

Post by Wayne Pyer »

Well, as far as i'm aware, the kindle "read to you" is not available on the sony, though i've only had it a week, so i'm not 100% sure.

I downloaded an audio book onto mine, but be warned that they take up a lot of memory, but memory cards can be added.

A lot of the old classics can be downloaded from a disc which is provided, but alas, i'm yet to find any Enid Blyton books.
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

These e-readers will have to come down in price before I would show any interest in them! The Kindle proclaims to be a "wireless reading device": I don't know about you, but I've been able to read without needing wires since I was very small. :|
Society Member
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

:D Very true Moonraker.

I would certainly not pay £170 for one, but as it was a fathers day present, i gladly accepted it.
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Sharon Foo

Post by Sharon Foo »

Hello! Greetings from Malaysia,

Sorry for not writing in after a long break and what a surprise when I logged in today and find so many EB fans are interested in getting EB books on Audio or E-Book form....and guess what? I have some wonderful news to share with all who are also hunting for early edition of EB books. Well, I've got to know this 'God Send' website [DELETED] which has lots of EB stories in E-Book form that you can download for Free! Yes! IT's FREE!!! And for Double Bonus!, I've found The Magic Faraway Tree with all the complete chapters! Also, I've found E-Books for both The Naughtiest Girl 1 & 2 series too. What a Blessing! :lol: Not only that, for those who are interested of Nancy Drew & Hardy Boys series, there are tons of E-Books for you to download. So happy downloading!!! :D

There's something though I need to highlight about the E-Books; they are quite jumble up eg. the paragraphs, some mis-spelling / typo-errors but with some effort, you may re-arranging them into book form quite easily.

Right now I'm busy hunting for illustrations for the books as the Ebooks doesn't come with any of the illustrations. I was wondering if anyone can assist me for obtaining those wonderful illustrations of Rene Cloke for The Faraway Tree series and The Naughtiest Girl series, that would be greatly appreciated! :D

P/S : Anita, just to let you know that I've managed to buy The Faraway Tree Collection and Boy! You're right! It's worth it! Thank you so much for your recommendation! :wink:

EDIT: I know you only wanted to help, Sharon, but I've removed the website link because free downloads of Enid Blyton books are illegal. Her books are not in the public domain and will remain under copyright until the end of 2038. Indeed, most of the major titles and many of the short stories are still in print and, if people are able to download them free of charge, that will affect sales.

I'm glad you're pleased with The Faraway Tree Collection! - Anita
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

This reply to a post concerning e-books for free is rather relevant. For people who don't visit Keith's site, this sums it up perfectly:

July 9, 2009 - lucy-mirabel says: Hey everyone! I've found a site that gives free EB e-books! This is the link - [hidden]

Inspector Jenks says... As a high-up policeman, I must warn you, Lucy-Mirabel, that sites such as the one you mentioned are illegal, despite ridiculous claims that state, "To the best of our knowledge [the books] are all in the public domain." Only the current copyright owner can publish e-books. If an author is still living, and the books are out of print, and the previous publisher's copyright has expired, then the author alone has the right to e-publish them. If the author is dead, and the books are out of print, and all copyright ownership has expired, then the books may conceivably be in the public domain -- but you have to ask yourself, why on earth would the author, or relatives of the author, allow a book to be used willy-nilly by every Tom, Dick and Harry for personal gain? The chances are the book is NOT in the public domain at all, despite being unobtainable. Simply wishing it were so does not make it fact, and besides, Enid's books generally ARE obtainable -- they're all in print, so how on earth can they be in the public domain? Generally speaking, any website that proclaims "these books are in the public domain" are either grossly ignorant or flat-out liars. Everyone that reads a so-called free e-book is damaging the income of genuine (and current) publishers. These "free e-books" are exactly the same as old pirated videos -- poor in quality, and completely illegal.

There is a 'new' boxed set of the 70s Famous Five DVDs on sale elswehere for £9.99 and that uses the Public Demain exclusion. I think Southern Star might have something to say about that.
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Moonraker wrote: Inspector Jenks says... Enid's books generally ARE obtainable -- they're all in print

Regardless of the legal issues, not ALL EB books are in print, many are either completely OUT of print or are only printed in a highly edited form.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Sharon Foo

Post by Sharon Foo »

Sharon Foo wrote:
EDIT: I know you only wanted to help, Sharon, but I've removed the website link because free downloads of Enid Blyton books are illegal. Her books are not in the public domain and will remain under copyright until the end of 2038. Indeed, most of the major titles and many of the short stories are still in print and, if people are able to download them free of charge, that will affect sales.

I'm glad you're pleased with The Faraway Tree Collection! - Anita
Dear Anita,

I'm so sorry for the seriousness of downloading ebooks illegally. I sense something very wrong with my posting after I've sent it out and I'm truly regretted it. :oops: I do hope the 'website' is not affected badly due to my carelessness. Please ignore my overall post. If need be, please remove it all together to avoid further damage....

Sharon :cry:
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Don't worry, Sharon. It's not a personal thing - it's just that we want to avoid promoting sites which enable people to read books free of charge when they're still in print. We're aware that you only intended to help, so there's no need for you to feel bad about it at all and I hope you'll continue to post on the forums whenever you like. :)

You have a point, Fiona, that many of the books available in the shops have been edited/updated/abridged, but then so have the free downloads, I expect!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Moonraker wrote:However, the fact remains, that it is the property of the author/owning company and to take it without paying is illegal.
Although written a few years ago, my comment isn't correct. Reading free EB books online is actually not illegal at all, nor is it illegal to download pirated videos and music. It's only illegal to PUBLISH (and especially SELL) pirated material. I am indebted to Keith for pointing this out. It isn't even illegal to put up a link to a free download site, but of course, a reputable website such as ours or enidblyton.net wouldn't want to do that. :D
Last edited by Moonraker on 21 Mar 2012, 15:28, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
Sharon Foo

Post by Sharon Foo »

Dear Anita & Moonraker,

Thank you for your kind words and I do really appreciate it. I feel quite a relief now...phew!.... :D

To tell the truth, I don't go for pirated or illegal things 'IF' I can get it easily in shops or supermarkets. It is because I couldn't find it anywhere that I've no choice but going to that 'channel'.... :oops: Many of the books that I loved and have lost ie. The Book of Fairies, Tales of Toylands, Round The Clock Stories and many other short stories which I've forgotten are not in print anymore. The Naughtiest Girl Series by DEAN are not in print but they have this new series which as I've mentioned in another forum, the illustration cover are really bad and I believe the stories have been re-modernise to suit the present generation; which is a real pity and what a disappointment.... :cry:

I truly agreed with Fiona's comment as below :-
Fiona1986 wrote:
Moonraker wrote: Inspector Jenks says... Enid's books generally ARE obtainable -- they're all in print
Regardless of the legal issues, not ALL EB books are in print, many are either completely OUT of print or are only printed in a highly edited form.
Thanks Fiona for backing up! :mrgreen:

It is also good to let the copyright publisher Chorion(?) to read this so that they should bug up and do something about it. :x Otherwise, people would definitely go for illegal uploads of E-books if they can help it. Who's the loser in the end?

Sharon
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Moonraker wrote:However, the fact remains, that it is the property of the author/owning company and to take it without paying is illegal.
Although written a few years ago, my comment isn't correct. Reading free EB books online is actually not illegal at all, nor is it illegal to download pirated videos and music. It's only illegal to PUBLISH (and especially SELL) pirated material. I am indebted to Keith for pointing this out. It isn't even illegal to put up a link to a free download site, but of course, a reputable website such as ours or enidblyton.net wouldn't want to do that. :D

Edit: I clicked on Edit instead of Quote, so the post I am referring to has gone, and is now a duplicate of this one! :oops:
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Moonraker wrote:nor is it illegal to download pirated videos and music. It's only illegal to PUBLISH (and especially SELL) pirated material.
Then why have there been people arrested and jailed for downloading music 'illegally' from peer to peer networks? :?:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Fiona1986 wrote:
Moonraker wrote:nor is it illegal to download pirated videos and music. It's only illegal to PUBLISH (and especially SELL) pirated material.
Then why have there been people arrested and jailed for downloading music 'illegally' from peer to peer networks? :?:
Probably because they were SHARING (which is what peer-to-peer networks are for) -- ie, systematically uploading music of their own in return for downloading other music -- and sharing like this is the same as publishing/offering stuff to the public for personal gain (in this case, swapsies). Plus, they were probably really big fish making a huge impact on artists' sales, and they probably weren't arrested, just sued.

It's all pretty complicated though. In Canada the law says you can't upload music to peer-to-peer (P2P) networks. But in the US the law says you can't download it. When you look closer, the law is actually the same; the law is simply against the unlawful reproduction of music. So is the music reproduced/copied when it's uploaded or downloaded? I'd say uploaded, but then again it's completely harmless to have a copy of a song on a server until it's downloaded and listened to -- at which point the artist has lost out on a potential sale and the law has been broken. To make it even more complicated, US law says that it's okay to download and listen to something if it's for your own use only... but if you copy it and give it to someone else, then you're breaking the law!

So there are different rules, and books are probably just as complicated. If you read an ebook online, for example, you're not making a copy of it -- you're just reading it, the same way you might hear a song on the radio. But the radio has to have a license to play that song, and likewise, the website has to have a license to display that book. You, the listener/reader, can't be prosecuted for hearing a song or reading something online. But if you download the book, that's making a copy. Is that illegal? Does the law care? Can the law do anything about it? I don't know. But certainly displaying someone else's books online and having them available for download is illegal.

Basically, people should use their own common sense and do what's right.
Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

I was taken off Napster, not for the Beatles or Elvis songs I downloaded, but the Roy Orbison ones!
"History is the parts of the past that the present finds useful" - Anon
rachelcarey

Post by rachelcarey »

Hello everyone,

I'm so happy to have found this thread - this is why I've joined up to the forum, as I had wanted to ask a question about The Magic Faraway Tree series and you've already answered it!

I bought a Kindle on the weekend and have already downloaded many classics but could not see the above title (or series of 3) available through Amazon Kindle site or any other ebook downloading sites. I now see why the ebook version is not available.

Please you've answered my question, I will be purchasing the '3 in 1 series' of the above title from a bookstore, have seen a good price online, can then re-read this classic, and my favourite of the Enid Blyton books.

Thanks,

Rachel