Suggest E-Books For The Faraway Tree Series

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
rachelcarey

Re: Suggest E-Books For The Faraway Tree Series

Post by rachelcarey »

Hello everyone,

I'm so happy to have found this thread - this is why I've joined up to the forum, as I had wanted to ask a question about The Magic Faraway Tree series and you've already answered it!

I bought a Kindle on the weekend and have already downloaded many classics but could not see the above title (or series of 3) available through Amazon Kindle site or any other ebook downloading sites. I now see why the ebook version is not available.

Please you've answered my question, I will be purchasing the '3 in 1 series' of the above title from a bookstore, have seen a good price online, can then re-read this classic, and my favourite of the Enid Blyton books.

Thanks,

Rachel
BookWorm19
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five / Gallianos Circus

Post by BookWorm19 »

Moonraker wrote:These e-readers will have to come down in price before I would show any interest in them! The Kindle proclaims to be a "wireless reading device": I don't know about you, but I've been able to read without needing wires since I was very small. :|

But can you fit 300 books into your bag?

They are the best invention i have ever seen, i used to go on holiday with about 3 items of clothes, so i could take my books! and i would normally take around 10 books away with me on a weeks holiday, because i love to read before going to bed, and lying on the beach and around the pool, i need my books! and now i only need my kindle :D
BookWorm19

Post by BookWorm19 »

70s-child wrote:
Anita Bensoussane wrote: We too have a very small house and space is becoming more and more of an issue when it comes to books. I don't have an e-reader but I'm quite interested in the concept, while still loving the texture, heaviness and smell of a book (not to mention the sense of history that comes with handling an old volume). I was wondering whether illustrations are shown on e-readers, or whether they're text only? I've heard that with some e-readers (perhaps all?) you can choose whether to read the book or have it narrated to you, depending what mood you're in. If that's correct, I was wondering if the reading sounds robotic or if the story is read with expression? Wouldn't it be great to listen to an original text Enid Blyton book that sounded as if it were being read to you by a middle-aged woman with an old-fashioned RP accent? It would feel as if the story were being narrated by Enid Blyton herself!
Anita
I don't have an e-reader yet either since I am waiting for more books to be available electronically before I get one. A good e-reader, like the Kindle or the Sony e-reader, will show illustrations. I have also seen people read newspapers on the i-phone or the blackberry, but I don't know about either since I am consciously keeping away from anything that might make me a slave to my email. I don't think they are as good as the kindle/sony though. The advantage of Kindle or Sony over a regular computer, is that they mimic printed text best, which a computer doesn't do (which is why reading on a computer screen is a pain). Their advantage over the i-phone and the blackberry seem to be the size of the screen as well as the quality of the text.
I don't think that either the kindle or the sony has audio capability. Plus, to be able to "hear" a book you would have to have the audio-book, which is read by someone. I-tunes has loads of good audiobooks for the I-pod, but they don't have any Enid Blytons (are there any?).
I think if you want to be able to read and listen simultaneously, you will need the i-phone, though as I said its text capability may not be as good as kindle's. Incidentally, like the I-pod/i-phone, Kindle and Sony are tied to specific stores. Kindle is tied to amazon, so to get a book on the kindle you have to purchase it from amazon. Can't go anywhere else.

Just thought i would let you both know, the kindle does show illustrations if its in the right format, i think the mobi format only shows the text, but pdf shows illustations
a lot of my books dont actually have illustrations, but it does show the front and back covers before the text. I think the kindle is wonderful, i know you said you like the feel of a real book Anita, but to be fair, you can fit 3000 books on a kindle, and you can still have your books aswell as a kindle! its on electronic paper, so it is as close to a book as you can get, but without the texture and smell!

And yes it does let you choose the option to have it read to you, but its horrendous, it joins words together and sounds something like this:

MrsMannering. put. herheadin. the. door. oftheroom. where. ki.ki . was . sitting

Words like Kiki, arent real words and sometimes it just says it completely wrong :lol:
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks for the information, BookWorm. :D
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

70s-child wrote:Incidentally, like the I-pod/i-phone, Kindle and Sony are tied to specific stores.
Maybe I'm reading that wrong but it looked like you've said the I-pod and I-phone are tied to a specific store? I've got an I-phone and can purchase books through apple's I-book store but with the kindle app I can also buy books from Amazon and have them delivered through Whispernet. I'm guessing there must be other ways to get books onto it.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Actually there are several formats for ebooks - some can be used for all kinds of ebook-readers (like epub, pdf), some are restricted to devices of the service that offers that ebook.
As long as I can read the ebooks I created myself on my ebook-reader everything is okay with me - and that includes books from gutenberg.org as well.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

BookWorm19 wrote:
Moonraker wrote:These e-readers will have to come down in price before I would show any interest in them! The Kindle proclaims to be a "wireless reading device": I don't know about you, but I've been able to read without needing wires since I was very small. :|
But can you fit 300 books into your bag?
I wrote that over three years ago, BookWorm! I have now had a Kindle for a couple of years, and wouldn't be without it. It is a marvellous addition to shelves of books, and ideal for a once only read. Jane bought a book for £7.99, it was in the Kindle store for 99p. By the way, she didn't get past chapter 5!
Society Member
BookWorm19

Post by BookWorm19 »

Oh sorry! :lol: Didnt get on to the date

Im glad you joined the kindle club anyway :oops: :lol:
pibikay

Post by pibikay »

I saw a post in this forum where one of the members had said that he has nearly 101 Enid Blyton Books suitable for kindle.
I have a kindle and may I reuest any member having kindle form e.books to mail them to me at pibikay@msn.com.My original books have been taken away by my grand children.Thanks in advance
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm afraid the person wouldn't be able to email the books to you, Pibikay, as they're under copyright until the end of 2038 and can't be distributed free of charge.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
vatsal agarwal
Favourite book/series: famous five and five find outers
Favourite character: fatty, julian, bets

Post by vatsal agarwal »

hey man very sorry but i hv these books but i cannot download them so sorry .

:oops: :oops: SORRY