Two forgotten books

Looking for a book or a story? Post details here and hopefully someone will be able to help.
rmm

Two forgotten books

Post by rmm »

There are two books I think were writen by Enid Blyton.

1.A story about a town which is very dirty, the people never wash themselves, their clothes, never clean their houses. etc.
2. A story about a giant who is very fat as he eats lots of cream cakes. The hero of the book is his prisoner and to save his life he offers to cure the giant who is agreeably surprised when told the cure means eating even larger numbers of cream cakes. I can't remember how the story ends.

Can anyone help with the titles of these stories of give any information at all?
jen
Favourite book/series: Secret Island
Favourite character: Jack or Phillip from Adventure

Post by jen »

I'm afraid neither of these stories rings a bell with me but maybe one of the other members can help you
A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
Susie

Post by Susie »

I remember something about when Bill Smugs takes the children on a cruise, one of the destinations was a town in Spain. The children comment about the how it smells, and how unhyginic it is not to wash. etc.
There is always something else new to learn.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I don't know about the second one but I know a short story that matches with the first one. It's called The Village of Untidy and it is very dirty -- people never wash or clean up. Then a small dirty boy called Harry goes to the village and is horrified. The King of Fairyland commands that the village be cleaned up in a week, and Harry helps the people out. Hope this is what you were looking for.

Society Member
rmm

Post by rmm »

Thank you Ming, 'The Village Of Untidy' must be one the books I'm thinking of.
The other story is still a puzzle, I'm not certain it was by Enid Blyton though. Perhaps someone will remember it, however.

Thanks also to all others who replied.

RMM
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

[rmm:]A story about a giant who is very fat as he eats lots of cream cakes. The hero of the book is his prisoner and to save his life he offers to cure the giant who is agreeably surprised when told the cure means eating even larger numbers of cream cakes. I can't remember how the story ends.

I'm not certain it was by Enid Blyton though.
Welcome, RMM. I can tell you that the story about the giant is definitely an Enid Byton story. Unfortunately I can't remember the title or which book I've read it in!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Susie

Post by Susie »

The two books sound interesting, I must add them to my to read collection.
There is always something else new to learn.
rmm

Post by rmm »

Thanks Anita. Maybe you will remember the title of the story and which book it's in some day soon and post another message.

RMM
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Re: Two forgotten books

Well, I didn't come back "soon" but I may have found the story so I thought I'd post here so we don't leave the thread dangling.
rmm wrote:A story about a giant who is very fat as he eats lots of cream cakes. The hero of the book is his prisoner and to save his life he offers to cure the giant who is agreeably surprised when told the cure means eating even larger numbers of cream cakes. I can't remember how the story ends.
That might well be Hop, Skip and Jump, which is a chapter story (though not a full-length book) about the brownies from The Enid Blyton Book of Brownies. The brownies are held prisoner by Gobblo the Greedy Wizard (not giant). He eats a lot of cream cakes and is desperate to lose weight, and Hop says he knows how the wizard can get thinner by eating yet more cakes.

Society Member
rmm

Post by rmm »

Thanks Anita, that is definitely the story I remember from a very long time ago.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It might take her a while, but our Anita usually gets there in the end! Good to see you've seen the post, rmm. :D
Society Member
MJE
Favourite book/series: Famous Five series
Favourite character: George; Julian; Barney

Post by MJE »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:The brownies are held prisoner by Gobblo the Greedy Wizard (not giant). He eats a lot of cream cakes and is desperate to lose weight, and Hop says he knows how the wizard can get thinner by eating yet more cakes.
     Does make you wonder about what laws of physics operate in the world of that story!

Regards, Michael.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Hop is just playing a trick on Gobblo! Like Nigel I'm glad you've seen the post, rmm.

Society Member