Rules - Please read if you're new to 'Games'

Use this forum for quizzes and other Blyton games.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Rules - Please read if you're new to 'Games'

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

There aren't many rules, but it helps to know the following:

1. Many games involve answering a question (or solving a puzzle). The person whose answer is correct gets to set the next question (or puzzle).

2. If you have set a question, please be prompt in confirming whether or not people's answers are right.

3. If it's your turn to ask a question, you have one week to do so (though the sooner the better, as it's more fun if the games keep moving). After that, anyone is allowed to ask a new question so the game can carry on.

4. Avoid pestering people by PM-ing or emailing them to say it's their turn in a game - though if they're very near the 7-day deadline some people might not mind a polite reminder.

5. If you are unsure how to play a certain game, check the instructions on the first page of the thread and read through a few pages to see how it works.

6. In games which involve adding a word or name to a list, only add ONE new word or name on your turn.

7. In the "Caption Competition" game, don't copy the image into every post. It only needs to appear once every few posts, as a reminder.

8. Please don't quote previous posters unless absolutely necessary, especially the post immediately before yours, as it takes up space needlessly. This applies to all forums threads.

9. Please don't use bad language, as people of all ages visit the website. Again, this applies to all forums threads.

Have fun!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Re: Rules - Please read if you're new to 'Games'

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Spiffing!

Now I just wonder if any of our more excitable contributors will actually pay heed to these rules!
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Spiffing indeed. Will these rules somehow stay at the top of the page, Anita, as in time they may disappear off the new posts etc as many of the threads do. Is there someway they will always come up first, and be fixed permenantly to the index page!

Only asking because on another site I viewed a while back, it was perminantly on the index page what their rules were.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

The thread is stickied so it won't slide down the page :wink:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Julie2owlsdene wrote: Will these rules somehow stay at the top of the page, Anita
I hope not! :roll:
Society Member
Fatty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Little Bets

Post by Fatty »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:7. Please don't quote previous posters unless absolutely necessary - it takes up space needlessly. This applies to all forums threads.
I suppose the exception would be the word association game -- which, by the way, is quite a pointless exercise really. I never post there, and not just because it's cumbersome to view on my phone. Even more pointless is the countdown to a million posts. Just *what* is that hoping to achieve?

Maybe it's time to resurrect some old threads in the Games forum. The title anagrams game was fairly challenging, and I believe there was a visual quiz where one could post a detail from one of the book illustrations for others to identify. (It isn't as easy as it sounds.) Another good one was 'Where's it from?', in which one had to identify a quoted passage.

I seem to recall that the last of these ground to a half after a showdown between a couple of annoying kids called Adventure and Almas. Thankfully I haven't seen them around for a long while. Unfortunately the games forum in particular is prone to attracting 'juvenile' attention (in every sense of the word).
Julie2owlsdene wrote:Is there someway they will always come up first, and be fixed permenantly to the index page! 8)
A 'sticky' implies it will always remain at the top.
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Fatty wrote:
Anita Bensoussane wrote:7. Please don't quote previous posters unless absolutely necessary - it takes up space needlessly. This applies to all forums threads.
I suppose the exception would be the word association game -- which, by the way, is quite a pointless exercise really. I never post there, and not just because it's cumbersome to view on my phone. Even more pointless is the countdown to a million posts. Just *what* is that hoping to achieve?
Word association doesn't actually use quotes, users cut and paste the list of words. If you think either thread is pointless, don't visit them. They achieve nothing less or nothing more than any other games thread. They're just a bit of fun.
Fatty wrote: Maybe it's time to resurrect some old threads in the Games forum. The title anagrams game was fairly challenging, and I believe there was a visual quiz where one could post a detail from one of the book illustrations for others to identify. (It isn't as easy as it sounds.) Another good one was 'Where's it from?', in which one had to identify a quoted passage.
I imagine it will be well more than two weeks since those threads have been used, so you're free to go post a new question in them - I know I enjoyed them when they were active.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
70s-child
Favourite book/series: Adv. series, Barney series, St. Clare's, FFO
Favourite character: Snubby, Loony, Susie, Dinah, Jack Trent, Fatty

Post by 70s-child »

Fatty wrote:I suppose the exception would be the word association game -- which, by the way, is quite a pointless exercise really. I never post there, and not just because it's cumbersome to view on my phone. Even more pointless is the countdown to a million posts. Just *what* is that hoping to achieve?
Well, both are just for fun. So what's the harm? Everything doesn't have to a prize-winning game, or an intellectual exercise. With regard to 'juvenile' attention, I would think the games threads are the ones the younger members of the forum feel most comfortable posting in, because it is more on their wavelength, compared to a lot of the other sections. Let them have their fun (even they are a disruptive nuisance sometimes! :lol:).
Society Member
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

70s-child wrote: Let them have their fun (even they are a disruptive nuisance sometimes! :lol:).
Said by the person who lists Susie, Snubby and Loony as favourite characters.   :D
Fatty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Little Bets

Post by Fatty »

Fiona1986 wrote:If you think either thread is pointless, don't visit them. They achieve nothing less or nothing more than any other games thread. They're just a bit of fun.
Ah, but the *entire* games forum has been loading more slowly of late - and there have been outages too, where I can't log in at all. I don't know if it's this particular thread, but something is causing the site to lag. Keith might be able to tell us more.
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Pippa-Stef wrote:Spiffing!

Now I just wonder if any of our more excitable contributors will actually pay heed to these rules!
You've taken the words out of my mouth, Stef! :roll:

Well said though, Anita. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Yak
Favourite book/series: St Clare's/FFO's.
Favourite character: Fatty/Claudine

Post by Yak »

The Countdown thread barely has two hundred posts so if anything is causing the page to load slowly, it's not that. And as others have said - if you don't like 'em, don't visit 'em. Some people do. I only look at a few threads in the Games forum that I am specifically interested in but I don't call the others 'pointless'.
http://europeforum.freeforums.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Icecream342
Favourite book/series: JW books and the Faraway tree books
Favourite character: Dame Washalot

Post by Icecream342 »

Actually, the countdown thread has over 200 posts!
We Really want to help Mrs Philpot
Five go to Finniston Farm

I am Icecream342 but everyone can call me Icey or popsicleCheck out my blog- the big big blog at; http://thebigbigblog.wordpress.com/
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Fatty wrote:
Fiona1986 wrote:If you think either thread is pointless, don't visit them. They achieve nothing less or nothing more than any other games thread. They're just a bit of fun.
Ah, but the *entire* games forum has been loading more slowly of late - and there have been outages too, where I can't log in at all. I don't know if it's this particular thread, but something is causing the site to lag. Keith might be able to tell us more.
That's been discussed in the word association thread, Tony has thought about deleting the first 600 pages or so, as it's really not necessary to keep them now. It's possible that is contributing to the games forum loading more slowly for some people.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
70s-child
Favourite book/series: Adv. series, Barney series, St. Clare's, FFO
Favourite character: Snubby, Loony, Susie, Dinah, Jack Trent, Fatty

Post by 70s-child »

Lenoir wrote:
70s-child wrote: Let them have their fun (even they are a disruptive nuisance sometimes! :lol:).
Said by the person who lists Susie, Snubby and Loony as favourite characters.   :D
:D Good one! I can't say though that I like the real life menaces, but they do provide some occasional amusement.
Society Member