The Enid Blyton Society

Arthur Ransome - Coot Club, The Big Six, etc.

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.

Re: Arthur Ransome - Coot Club, The Big Six, etc.

Postby Kate Mary » 26 Aug 2016, 02:31

I had a holiday in Florida in 2004 and we went to a beachside cafe and watched the sun go down across the Gulf of Mexico, it was spectacular and as it finally disappeared everyone applauded. Best free show in town, I guess.

Sorry, wandered off topic again.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wine."

Society Member
Kate Mary

Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Postby Moonraker » 26 Aug 2016, 16:37

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I don't think I've ever heard a round of applause at a cinema!

And I've never heard of a cinema getting bigger!

Glad you enjoyed it, Tony. It is on my wish list to see.
Society Member
Moonraker

Postby Anita Bensoussane » 23 Feb 2017, 21:17

I received a DVD of Swallows and Amazons (the 2016 version) as a late birthday present and watched it at the weekend. I must say I really enjoyed it. The film-makers have expanded certain aspects of the story to increase the tension and intrigue while still preserving the all-important qualities of freedom, escapism, innocence and make-believe. The children who play Titty (or Tatty!) and Roger are particularly good, coming across as very natural. I was so completely caught up in the excitement of boating, camping, discovering and battling in the Lake District that I didn't want the film to end. If only time had allowed, I could quite happily have restarted the DVD and watched it all over again! I love the Lake District anyway, and wallowing in the scenery was part of the pleasure.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Favourite book/series: Adventure Series and Family Books
Favourite character: Fatty, Jack Trent and Elizabeth Allen

Postby sixret » 23 Feb 2017, 21:45

Although I am not fond of Arthur Ransome's books but I would love to watch the film based on your review.
KIFARAH & KARMA- What goes around comes around.

Society Member
sixret

Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Postby Anita Bensoussane » 25 Feb 2017, 18:24

I watched the 1974 film of Swallows and Amazons today, not having seen it for a few years. Another very enjoyable film. It's slower-paced than the 2016 one but engaging because of the good child actors (though I'm not keen on the portrayal of Nancy, who doesn't come across as lively or wild). Once again Titty stands out - but then she's also my favourite character in the book as I empathise with her love of literature and her longing to have the island to herself for a while so she can be Robinson Crusoe.

I'm not sure about the casting of Ronald Fraser as Uncle Jim, even though I like him as Mr. Barling in the 1978 Five Go to Smuggler's Top. He makes Uncle Jim seem rather a buffoon.

This adaptation sticks more closely to Arthur Ransome's book than the 2016 film which I watched last week. Since the book is a bit on the tame side for my liking, I welcome the supplementation of the story in the later film. However, the more relaxed atmosphere of the earlier one also appeals. Like the book, both versions conjure up an outdoorsy childhood world of fun, freedom, independence and imagination. Just perfect for escaping from a cold winter's afternoon!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Favourite book/series: Adventure Series and Family Books
Favourite character: Fatty, Jack Trent and Elizabeth Allen

Swallows and Amazons

Postby Moonraker » 20 Mar 2017, 10:35

Merged with an older topic.

We saw this new film at the weekend and I couldn't but help wishing that a book such as The Sea of Adventure could be adapted in a similar way. Strictly portrayed in the 30s' era with no updating, it was a charming adaptation of the book.
Society Member
Moonraker

Re: Swallows and Amazons

Postby Courtenay » 20 Mar 2017, 12:08

Moonraker wrote:Strictly portrayed in the 30s' era with no updating...

Apart from Titty becoming Tatty and the additions to the plot?
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Courtenay

Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Previous

Return to Other Authors