Ladybird books

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
Katharine

Re: Ladybird books

Post by Katharine »

I've bought 'The Husband' for my recently married sister. I was thumbing through the pages while waiting to pay for it. It took all my self control to stop myself from roaring with laughter. I though it hilarious. I've also bought my brother 'The Shed', and am looking out for 'The Wife' for my new brother-in-law. I was hoping to get 'The Gallery' for my sister-in-law as she's very artistic, but although it was very cleverly done, I don't think the humour in that one would be for everyone, and not really appropriate for my sister-in-law, so I'm keeping an eye out for something different for her.

I would recommend these books to someone with a reasonably good sense of humour/fairly broad mind. Definitely not for the Purist Ladybird collector though. :D And not for the usual age range of Ladybird readers. :shock:
Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

They are bound to be very collectable in the future, so I'm sure many Ladybird collectors would go for them. They're a great idea and very amusing! :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I saw some of them too at a gift shop recently. Dating and The Hipster didn't quite hit the spot with me, but Mindfulness and The Mid-Life Crisis were hilarious!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Haven't read The Husband or The Wife yet, though I'd like to.
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I was lucky enough to get some money for Christmas, so I went into town this week and bought myself The Ladybird Story. I'd had my eye on the book for a while, and although it's not like me to buy a new book, I decided that I didn't want to risk waiting to see if it was reduced in a sale, as it might end up out of print and so rare it would cost me 3 times as much. I'd just finished paying for it, and had moved to one side of the till to put the book in my bag, when I noticed some of the adult Ladybird books at half price. As I still had some money left, I decided to buy a couple. The first obvious choice was Boxing Day, however I couldn't decide which of the others to get until I spotted The Mid Life Crisis. As I've just turned 50 I thought it it just had to be. I've read both the books, and am not disappointed. I wouldn't say I found every page funny, but then humour is a personal thing. However some pages had me doubled up with laughter, wheres once I'd managed to stop laughing long enough to read them out to my grown up daughter, she didn't think them worth more than a slight smile. I thought the Boxing Day one funnier that the other one, but I love the illustrations and the way the books are written. I think they ideally need to be read in a clipped 1950s BBC accent. I'm not sure if all the illustrations are from the original books or not, but wherever they are from, they fit the words.

I've also read the first chapter of The Ladybird Story. It hasn't quite reached the publishing of the Ladybird books I know and love, but it's been a fascinating insight into the world of printing in the past. One thing I need to investigate further is a mention of the first two Ladybird books being sent to The British Library around the time of the first World War. I thought that Birn Brothers books were so vague as they hadn't been sent to the British Library, whereas this book gave the impression that it was a requirement from all publishers. I think Tony wrote an article in an early Journal on the subjects, so will try and track it down to satisfy my curiosity.
Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Katharine wrote:I'd just finished paying for it, and had moved to one side of the till to put the book in my bag, when I noticed some of the adult Ladybird books at half price.
I've noticed, too, that the "adult" Ladybird books are being sold off at half price or similar discounts now at a number of shops (from Blackwell's in Oxford to Ryman in Orpington, just to give two examples I've seen). I wonder if it means the novelty is wearing off and they're finding it harder now to shift copies off the shelves? I'm rather hoping the "adult" Famous Fives will suffer the same fate before long... :wink:

The Ladybird Story sounds very interesting — I'll have to look out for that one too. :D
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I think they are prime Christmas gift items and now that Christmas is over they will of course be reduced to make way for all the 'new year, new you' stuff.

I got the Ladybird Book of Red Tape and the Lady Bird Book of Neighbours (or something like that!)
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Fiona1986 wrote:and the Lady Bird Book of Neighbours (or something like that!)
It's not something like this...? :D

(sorry :wink: )
Society Member

Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

No, it's very much nothing like that lol. Just as well my work PC has the sound turned off as well :lol:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

You're not missing much. :P (I hasten to add I don't watch the show in question.)
Society Member

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I love it! Its the best soap on British TV these days - much better than Eastenders, Emmerdale or Coronation Street! :-D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Well, I'll take that as a compliment. 8) Meanwhile, look what you could do if you ever happen to be visiting Melbourne... :wink:
Society Member

Rob Houghton

Post by Rob Houghton »

I'd love that - just have to get to Melbourne first!! :wink:

I think Neighbours is actually far more popular in UK than in Australia, so I believe...? :D
hearts mad delight,
through the night.'

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Dunno. There are more people in the UK than in Australia, so that might be a factor... :mrgreen:
Society Member

Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

The book was 'The People Next Door'. I was close :lol:

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Rob Houghton wrote:I love it! Its the best soap on British TV these days - much better than Eastenders, Emmerdale or Coronation Street! :-D
Same here Rob. I gave up on the English ones years ago. I'd love to go to Melbourne and visit the set and the real Ramsay Street.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member