Ladybird books

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Ladybird books

Post by pete9012S »

I too was raised on Ladybird books.Like me, I'm sure you enjoyed some of their lovely illustrations.

The Policeman;

http://content.screencast.com/media/bc2 ... 3_2044.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Ladybird books formed a large part of my childhood, I still have a large number tucked away in my attic. I learnt to read at an early age with the Peter and Jane books plus their faithful companion Pat the Dog, although flash cards were also involved. Many schools also used Ladybird books as teaching aids, a fine antidote indeed to the American SRA cards which I treated with great suspicion due to their slightly different spellings of certain words! :lol:

The enormous number of subjects covered by the Ladybird book range fired my interest in many subjects, I even built myself a crystal set at the age of nine thanks to one particular volume that covered radio construction.

These slim volumes would have been a fine vehicle for many of Enid Blyton's short stories, did this ever take place I wonder?
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I noticed these ones in the cave Petermax... :D

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/shor ... ybirdstory" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Splendid! :D
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Great programme - thoroughly reccomended!

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I really enjoyed the programme. I remembered a lot of the books featured from my childhood. My favourite was a fiction title "The Discontented Pony", another title in that series was "The Wise Robin", I must dig it out and it read it again. It is a lovely Christmas story.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I also enjoyed this superb programme and would recommend it to anyone with an interest in children's books. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Despite highlighting it in the Radio Times, I forgot to watch it :roll: :cry:
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I watched it and enjoyed it immensely. I, too, can remember some of the covers, I had the Ladybird Book Of Motor Cars amongst others. Sadly, I let them all go many years ago. What I was really impressed by was the superb illustrations in the books, credit must go to those artists who created such wonderful pictures.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Eddie Muir wrote:We have also been buying some of the new editions and have accumulated quite a lot more from various newspapers that offer them in exchange for collecting their printed tokens.
I'm glad the value of Ladybird books is still recognised, Eddie, though I don't think Ladybird do such a wide range of titles these days.
pete9012S wrote:The Policeman;

http://content.screencast.com/media/bc2 ... 3_2044.png" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Heh - I suppose the spoof text was inspired by the picture, which does make the policeman look like a giant:
This is Police Constable Brian Plectrum. He is 66 feet tall. PC Plectrum often stands in the centre of London looking out for criminals. Sometimes a police helicopter will arrive to deliver sandwiches and wave hello.
Petermax wrote:Many schools also used Ladybird books as teaching aids, a fine antidote indeed to the American SRA cards which I treated with great suspicion due to their slightly different spellings of certain words! :lol:
We also used SRA cards at school and I enjoyed doing them, but few learning aids could match the beauty of Ladybird books. I only encountered Ladybird books at home and in the local library so they were never associated with school for me.
Kate Mary wrote:I really enjoyed the programme. I remembered a lot of the books featured from my childhood. My favourite was a fiction title "The Discontented Pony", another title in that series was "The Wise Robin", I must dig it out and it read it again. It is a lovely Christmas story.

I thought the programme was fabulous, as the people interviewed had so much enthusiasm and affection for the books. I'm sorry L. Du Garde Peach's idiosyncrasies were toned down in later editions of the 'Adventures from History' series, and I agree with collector Helen Day who asked why people flock to see the Mona Lisa yet give so little attention to the paintings which were done for the Ladybird books! The picture she singled out has always been my favourite - the one by Eric Winter of Cinderella weeping because her sisters have gone to the ball without her (Cinderella, 'Well-loved Tales' series):

http://lowres-picturecabinet.com.s3-eu- ... 214650.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Striking composition, breathtaking colours and full of emotion.

Kate, I also liked The Discontented Pony and The Wise Robin as a child although the titles I loved best in that series were Ned the Lonely Donkey, Tiptoes the Mischievous Kitten and Mick the Disobedient Puppy. Heartwarming stories with gorgeous illustrations.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Katharine wrote:Despite highlighting it in the Radio Times, I forgot to watch it :roll: :cry:
If you have time to catch up with it, Katharine, the programme is on iplayer until 9.59 PM on Sunday 29th December:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ading_Bug/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I was interested that the size of the books was determined by wartime paper shortages, with the 52 pages being designed to fit on one large sheet of paper which was then folded and cut accordingly. It was fascinating to see Douglas Keen's massive prototype of British Birds and their Nests, followed by the actual-size mock-up, and to hear about the shop window displays that were created to promote the books, e.g. stuffed birds on tree branches for British Birds and their Nests. It seems that Douglas Keen played a large part in making Ladybird books such a success.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

From time to time I've used a website called "The wee web" to help identify approximately what year my Ladybird books were printed. It also had a complete list of every Ladybird book ever published, and which series it was from, which was a great help to me to know what to keep an eye out for. I've just tried to access it and it doesn't seem to exist anymore. The official Ladybird site has a link for it, so it's not a case of me mistyping the address.

Has anyone else used this site recently, or by any chance copied the information it contained? I'd considered doing that, to make it easier for myself, but didn't think I ought to for copyright reasons. Now I wish I had, as I don't have a complete list of all the Ladybird books. Also, it had some great items about re-prints which had verses altered, and now I don't know which ones to look out for.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Although appearing on Google, on activating it seems to no longer exist.
Society Member
burlingtonbertram

Post by burlingtonbertram »

After watching The Ladybird Story (again) on BBC 4, I spent a spare £2.20 I had on my Paypal account to buy "What to Look For In Autumn" (buff cover, 1960, good condition). What an excellent little book! Lovely illustrations of farmland, countryside, birds and small, wild animals. Lots of informative text (given the size of the book). If you haven't seen the "What to Look For" series I would thoroughly recommend them.
"The days are long, but the years are short"
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I have a couple of the 'what to look for' books, and agree they are very good, but then I think ALL Ladybird books are good. :wink:

At the moment I'm keeping an eye out for 4b in the 'Peter and Jane' series. I thought I'd found one yesterday in a charity shop, but they wanted £4.50 for it, and it had a great big sticker on the front cover, which I wasn't sure would come off without damaging the book, so I put it back on the shelf. I know it was for charity, but talk about making a massive profit, I've picked Ladybird books up for 50p in other charity shops. They had other 'collectable' books on that shelf, all over priced in my opinion.
Society Member