Bobby Brewster

Which other authors do you enjoy? Discuss them here.
oldbookfan

Bobby Brewster

Post by oldbookfan »

Ive been reading all your comments about books and authors Ive never heard of thus being enticed to mention probably the only author I can remember as a child....and then I had to look the name up on the internet. I am speaking of H E Todd.

When I was a small child, about 40 years ago ( how I hate to admit that, hehe) we had a mobile library come around once a week and it happened to park right outside our house. Most weeks I would venture in and ended up reading several of the 'bobby brewster' series. Or, at least I think thats what they were. You see, I remember the name Brewster. And I remember that there was something magical about him. Upon looking this info up on the net this is the information I have been given. Who am I to doubt the intergrity of the internet :wink:

Anyway, as I said, I think this author is about the only one I can remember from my childhood - apart from the classics - so obviously I am a sad case. I think these books were also english. Heaven forbid that Australians should write something decent that be printed. Forgive my sarcasm - its just my way. Its fabulous that fortunately we, aussies, have some very talented writers and that, in this day and age, they are recognised.

Oh, by the way, we still have the mobile libraries though they are few and far between - too expensive to run I think, and there are many many more libraries available to the public these days. Just in case you were interested.

When I manage to find some money that Im not spending on EB books, I may have to invest in a set of Bobby Brewsters. Does anyone else remember these? Can anyone give me any additional information?

Cheers
me
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Bobby Brewster

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Hi,

When I was about 6 years old (around 1976) I borrowed many Bobby Brewster books from the library (not a mobile one) and enjoyed them. By the time I was an adult I still remembered the name "Bobby Brewster" but not the name "H. E. Todd," so it seems I took no notice of who the author was! In the last couple of years I've found two Bobby Brewster books in local charity shops - Bobby Brewster's Kite and Bobby Brewster's Wallpaper. The stories are simple and don't have the same appeal (to me) from an adult perspective. They are charming and amusing though, and my young son likes them. Many of them are about an object which Bobby Brewster has - a kite, ball, tie, etc - which turns out to be magic. The books I have imply that H. E. Todd was a British author - on the back of my Knight paperback copy of Bobby Brewster's Wallpaper it says: "Through his appearances on television, particularly on BBC Jackanory, and the story-telling sessions he has held not only throughout Britain, but also in Australia, New Zealand, South Africa and Hong Kong, H. E. Todd can claim to be one of the best-known story-tellers in the world." Other titles listed are: B B's Torch, B B's Scarecrow, B B - Detective, B B's Ghost, B B's Typewriter, B B's First Fun, B B's Potato, B B's Bicycle, B B's Balloon Race, B B's Bee, B B's Wishbone and BB - Bus Conductor. This may not be an exhaustive list.

Anyone else remember Bobby Brewster? And did H. E. Todd write any other books besides Bobby Brewster?

Anita
Miranda

Bobby Brewster

Post by Miranda »

Yes, I remember borrowing BB books from the library when I was very young. However, I grew out of them quite quickly in a way that I have never grown out of Blyton books. There was a bit of magic in them, but no real sense of adventure or excitement.
Susie

Post by Susie »

I really enjoyed his books, in fact i even tried to like sardine sandwiches because he liked them, didnt work though!
I have two books BB typewriter and BB conquer.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

H.E.Todd visited my school in the early 80s and we all went through something of a Bobby Brewster craze. I think I had most of the stories read to me by the teacher, and I remember owing Torch and Scarecrow. I remember individual stories about a Squitten (half squirrel, half kitten), desk diary (that wrote the future before it happened), clothes that would literally jump out and bite Bobby, a tree that could paint, an advert on television about a horrible chocolate bar, and the time when Bobby was able to literally read people's thoughts in comic-style bubbles. I always thought that H.E.Todd was incredibly funny without even trying. He was basically writing about a boy full of awe at all the magic around him, but some of the deadpan lines and ludicrous situations were hilariously brilliant!

H.E.Todd was pretty old when I saw him, and I always wondered what happened to him. I asked on another forum a few months ago, and someone informed me he passed away in 1987.
Susie

Re: Bobby Brewster

Post by Susie »

I just got another one, it's called BB scarecrow, found it in the charity shop.
There is always something else new to learn.
Almas
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Adventure/Famous Five/ Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty (I have a crush on him!!)

Post by Almas »

:) Count me in! I'm a great fan of H.E. Todd. There are dozens of his books in my school library and I think I finished them all, two years ago. My favorite is probably The Clever Clever Cats and Bobby Brewster's Wishbone . I think that the way Todd writes is humourously funny - and I agree that like Enid, he has the ability to capture the reader's mind.

Although I don't own any of his books, I just borrowed them and they were the old, old paperbacks from the 70's and 80's. Are his books still in print? I haven't seen them anyhwere!
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
Lenoir
Favourite book/series: FFO/FF. Five run away together, Most FFO books.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Lenoir »

I saw one in a second hand shop a few months ago and bought it just for old times' sake.
Bobby Brewster's Bicycle.
BB used to be on the radio here, a long time ago.
The same children's slot featured Noddy and also Famous Five (first 3 books I think) at various times in the seventies.
Now I really must go and read more of the Journal!
Susie

Post by Susie »

I loved the story that was written by the cat itself. (I think it was in BB conquer.)
There is always something else new to learn.
jen
Favourite book/series: Secret Island
Favourite character: Jack or Phillip from Adventure

Post by jen »

I've got Bobby Brewster, BB Bus Conductor and BB Bicycle and I love them. My favourite story is the one where he rings up his tummy! Superb, what sort of mind can come up with things like that?! Genius!
A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I was an avid Booby Brewster reader when young.Did anyone else try sardine sandwiches on the strength of reading his books?
I did and found them surprisingly edible,although I haven't had one for a long long time since! :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

Sardines on toast was good too!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I've just read 'Bobby Brewster's Typewriter' that I found in a charity shop last year (I presume they're no longer published). While I'd never read this actual one before, it took me back to fond childhood memories of the BB series. Full of deadpan, gently sarcastic humour, there's some delightfully surreal stories as a perfectly ordinary boy keeps coming across some extraordinary things. When H. E. Todd visited our school, I guess we had only recently heard of him - but we were all still rather in awe of the fact that here was essentially a famous person in our assembly hall talking to us. I wish I could go back in time to that day and tell him what a great, highly entertaining writer he was!

By the way, did you know that any picture of a person in a book can come out of it? That's mentioned here. These 'Book People' generally do so at night so ordinary people like you and me wouldn't see them. But you might want to be thinking about that the next time you keep your Eileen Sopers and Betty Maxeys in the same room together! :D
Last edited by Stephen on 17 Feb 2019, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Stephen wrote:By the way, did you know that any picture of a person in a book can come out of it? That's mentioned here. These 'Book People' generally do so at night so ordinary people like you and me wouldn't see them. But you might want to be thinking about that the next time you keep your Eileen Sopers and Betty Maxeys in the same room together! :D
:shock: :shock: :lol: :wink: :mrgreen:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)